It's pretty damn sad....................

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1Alpha1

100% USDA Certified Abnormality-Free.
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
When a hardware store has a better STIHL dept. than a full-fledged, dedicated, STIHL dealer.

I was in an ACE Hardware store today. They had one of the very best STIHL displays I've ever seen. Tons of product, clean, neat and very organized.

I've yet to see a dedicated STIHL dealer come close. :innocent:

Yeah, ask them about a saw and watch them get the catalog out and read it to you as if you couldn't do the same thing.

I buy from my local saw shop because there is much more than a good display there. Also, smaller shops have the power to cut you good deals and do free stuff for you. Try that with a big chain and you will get zippo due to following protocol and guidelines. Besides they never seem to have what I need for a price too much to bear.

When a hardware store has a better STIHL dept. than a full-fledged, dedicated, STIHL dealer.

I was in an ACE Hardware store today. They had one of the very best STIHL displays I've ever seen. Tons of product, clean, neat and very organized.

I've yet to see a dedicated STIHL dealer come close. :innocent:

Actually that's pretty accurate for our area in many ways. The best parts source and best counter people in this area are at the True Value. The guy at the counter was a Stihl mech for years so it makes it real easy to deal with him.

Yeah, ask them about a saw and watch them get the catalog out and read it to you as if you couldn't do the same thing.

QFT
I was at my local husky dealer yesterday for a loop of chain.
Walk in, guy saws, "can I help you?"
"Yessir, I need a loop of Oregon LGX chain, 72 drivers, 3/8 pitch, fiddy gauge."
He says (as he's gettin some huge catalog out) "well what saw is the chain for."

SMH.... I didn't fuss about it, and in the end, got my chain. I just need to start buying reals so I'm never in a pinch again I suppose.

in ripley wv there's a good one ed moores stihl i have never found a good husky dealer with inventory in marietta oh bridgeport equipment has a very nice echo and stihl selection anybody know of a good husky dealer in southern ohio or wv.

There's an Ace hardware store about an hour from me and they are the same. They have a lot more than the stihl stores around me and are a whole lot friendlier. The stihl stores here are buttholes that think they do us a favor by selling their crap.

Went into an Ace Hardware near me just on the off-chance they MIGHT have a yellow-tagged chain and sprocket for an 023. Nice display, no saw bigger than a 362, but no yellow-tagged chains hanging in sight. Had the bar in my hand, young kid comes up and asks if I need a new bar. I told him I was looking for a sprocket and chain but didn't look like they had any. He said "sure, in the back...you want a 6- or 7-tooth sprocket?" Astounded, I said 6, and 90 seconds later handed me just what I wanted. I WILL go there again.

QFT
I was at my local husky dealer yesterday for a loop of chain.
Walk in, guy saws, "can I help you?"
"Yessir, I need a loop of Oregon LGX chain, 72 drivers, 3/8 pitch, fiddy gauge."
He says (as he's gettin some huge catalog out) "well what saw is the chain for."

SMH.... I didn't fuss about it, and in the end, got my chain. I just need to start buying reals so I'm never in a pinch again I suppose.
Yup and then when you say " It's for Husqvarna 562xp" he says "oh we don't sell chains for Husqvarna saws we only sell Stihl chains" Ok bye.

local ace has a nice Stihl and Husky dept. Guy right at the counter knows his stuff but, there too expensive. The real Stihl dealer makes loops cheaper than the pre pkg Ace has. I was gonna get a bar off them but not at $50 for homeowner grade. I'll get a total super bar instead

Probably hit and miss. My dealer is real nice and probably the best small mechanic in the county. But if you need anything repaired its 3 weeks to look at it because of that. If your a pro he will squeeze you in earlier than that. He has a lot of logging stuff that the other guys don't have so I get some of that stuff there too.

When it comes to servicing a saw, I'd like to think that a dedicated dealer would do a better job. But, I've heard enough on here over time that would indicate otherwise.

The ACE store I was in sold only STIHL. No Husky. I didn't speak to anyone there so I can't verify whether or not they had a clue.

What I have found out is that dealers other than those that are fully dedicated, tend to give you a better deal (price) on a saw if you hit them up for one. I've yet to have ANY dealer say to me, you look like you could use 10% off MSRP. You have to ask for it, and most hardware store dealers will give it to you to insure a sale. You ask a dedicated dealer and you will most likely get a song and dance routine as to why they can't.

I usually get free services from my dealer, just got a free bar tune up, and 32" chain when I just bought my last saw. He has also pulled apart saws to check for seal leaks and stuff like that for free. But, I buy a lot of stuff from him too.

The Stihl dealer that I go to is an Ace hardware. The owner is the head Stihl guy, and he has been very good to me. He has a nice selection, and a very good service department. When I went in looking to buy my first Stihl saw, the first thing he said was "let's take a couple out back". That sold me on him right there. The only warranty claim that I ever had was a leaking o-ring on the oil pump on my MS290. He changed it out right there, and within less that half an hour, I was out the door and on my way home. This dealership is actually why everything I own is Stihl.

The Stihl dealers around me suck, they are arrogant and think they are doing me a favor by opening. I stopped buying stihl products because of them. I used to run stihl chains and bars, not anymore. Broke my helmet and did go in to get a part to fix it. They acted like they didn't want to order it and tried to sell me a new system for 70 bucks. Told em forget it and went to lowes and got this for half the stihl unit and it fits better.. Now I may have to paint Husky on all my equipment to match my helmet.SANY1872.JPG SANY1873.JPG

The Stihl dealers around me suck, they are arrogant and think they are doing me a favor by opening. I stopped buying stihl products because of them. I used to run stihl chains and bars, not anymore. Broke my helmet and did go in to get a part to fix it. They acted like they didn't want to order it and tried to sell me a new system for 70 bucks. Told em forget it and went to lowes and got this for half the stihl unit and it fits better.. Now I may have to paint Husky on all my equipment to match my helmet.View attachment 429113 View attachment 429114

Yeah.....I too get the same feeling, more times than not. It's too bad that the dealers don't get a clue and change their evil ways.

Too bad as well, that STIHL INC. doesn't get a clue and change their evil ways as well. It's not like they don't know, cause I've sent them e-mails advising them of such.

Latest posts

Back