Jipped on new MS 362??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DieselDude17

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
So back in August I bought a brand new Stihl MS 362. Actually funny story, originally was going to get a farm boss (college student, budgeting) then figured, well, might as well put down the extra cash for a pro series. Went to L&M Fleet supply, nearest stihl dealer intending on picking up a 261 with the 18" bar. Got there, they only had the 16" bars in stock. Decided to shop around on my phone in my car, no one else carried them within 100 miles. Sooo I walked back in and picked out the 362 with an 18" bar for an extra $100 bucks or so. Anyways, my question is this. I was under the impression all the new 362's were MTRONIC, whereas mine is not. I still paid $759.99 for it, which seems to be the same price as the C-M's. Is it just me or should they probably be cheaper?

Thanks for your responses, Matt.

Some would prefer a standard carb saw. My last MS261 I bought I wanted standard carb and paid about the same price as the Mtronic version. Did you get the new typeII 362 with new light clutch cover design, that would be my main concern. If you have and your able to control its tune you have a fantastic saw. They sell in both configerations as many folks don't like Mtronic but there the same price I think. Don't worry about it if you have a type11 with tunable carb, ya can make em go faster.

I can tell you between here and Munich there are still plenty of leftover, non M-Tronic MS362 in Stihl dealerships. To be completely honest it's not a saw that flew out of dealerships and was priced far too close to the 441 (as the new M-Tronic versions still are).

For whatever reason these leftover saws are far more expensive than you'd expect them to be. When all is said and done you'll save less than a hundred compared to the new M-tronic MS362.
Again for whatever reason, Stihl dealerships will cut you better (relative to sticker price) deals on 261's, 441C-M's and 461's, so 362's are also rare, and I mean truly rare, on the second hand market, especially relative to the 441.

Perhaps one of the users here who works or owns a Stihl dealership will chime in, but I just don't understand this pricing policy.

Could you post a pic of the saw.... maybe take the pick from the clutch side and the starter side....

So back in August I bought a brand new Stihl MS 362. Actually funny story, originally was going to get a farm boss (college student, budgeting) then figured, well, might as well put down the extra cash for a pro series. Went to L&M Fleet supply, nearest stihl dealer intending on picking up a 261 with the 18" bar. Got there, they only had the 16" bars in stock. Decided to shop around on my phone in my car, no one else carried them within 100 miles. Sooo I walked back in and picked out the 362 with an 18" bar for an extra $100 bucks or so. Anyways, my question is this. I was under the impression all the new 362's were MTRONIC, whereas mine is not. I still paid $759.99 for it, which seems to be the same price as the C-M's. Is it just me or should they probably be cheaper?

Thanks for your responses, Matt.

Should is relative.

Does the clutch cover look like other stihls, or does it look lightened up, and have horizontal lines?

$700-750 is around the going rate for the 362: right or wrong, that's normal.

Pretty sure it's the old model... looks just like the one I ran in the conservation corps back in 2013. Also, not sure how to upload a pic from my phone haha

Did the dealer not have the MS362CM on display? From what I understand Stihl doesnt make the MS362, just the MS362CM. Seems the dealer should have been a little more informative about the different versions out but sounds like yours just wants to sell saws. Did you use the saw yet? You can go back and tell them you wanted the M Tronic and see if they will swap it out or call Stihl customer service.

I have a 362CM and it is a great saw. I run a 25" bar and no problem.

I can tell you between here and Munich there are still plenty of leftover, non M-Tronic MS362 in Stihl dealerships. To be completely honest it's not a saw that flew out of dealerships and was priced far too close to the 441 (as the new M-Tronic versions still are).

For whatever reason these leftover saws are far more expensive than you'd expect them to be. When all is said and done you'll save less than a hundred compared to the new M-tronic MS362.
Again for whatever reason, Stihl dealerships will cut you better (relative to sticker price) deals on 261's, 441C-M's and 461's, so 362's are also rare, and I mean truly rare, on the second hand market, especially relative to the 441.

Perhaps one of the users here who works or owns a Stihl dealership will chime in, but I just don't understand this pricing policy.

It is all how they are priced. When we put in a saw order they will have a unit cost on the saws. The next time we order they have either a different cost or an updated cost. From what I remember München did not order that many big saws ( we used to try and get bigger saws for the Forstverwaltung of our area ) But pricing was a tad more because saws would just sit on the shelves. We sold a great many smaller saws.. the 211 231 and 251 were very popular. OP IIRC we had the non M-tronic 362 priced pretty close to the M-Tronic version. Both a great saws so you did well. I always say stick to a saw that you can get service on, get parts for and get support on. A week does not go by when someone is cold calling asking if we repair Husqvarna, Dolmar, Solo, Echo and alike because they had been told it was a cracker of a saw but had no after sale support. The answer is always the same I will try but no promises on parts.

Take it back and get the one u want... of course if you haven't used it!!!

Yeah unfortunately I've already put 8 hours on the saw... Oh well. I love it anyhow! On one hand, even for being 22 years old I've always been a little skeptical on new technology (don't even get me started on DEF systems) but on the other it'd be awesome if it was true about the no carb maintenance! Either way, I'm happy, just wondering about why the old version still costs the same as the new haha. Thanks for all your help guys! Definitely quicker responses than I'm used to on most forums!

Yeah unfortunately I've already put 8 hours on the saw... Oh well. I love it anyhow! On one hand, even for being 22 years old I've always been a little skeptical on new technology (don't even get me started on DEF systems) but on the other it'd be awesome if it was true about the no carb maintenance! Either way, I'm happy, just wondering about why the old version still costs the same as the new haha. Thanks for all your help guys! Definitely quicker responses than I'm used to on most forums!
Hey I got 2012 model, which I believe is basically like yours and I love it... I got it as a non-runner and after I rebuilt it, it turned into my most used firewood saw.... it wears a 20" bar and works it like a cheap trick....love the saw... I have heard people say this or that about them, but I have used her pretty hard and I haven't had a problem!!!!!

That thing looks hungry, like it's looking for some 562s to eat.

I wonder how Rev II stacks up to the wonderstart saw.
Now you just watch it there sir, when the 562 does start and run, it will cut twice as fast as any 362......:reading:

It's not about looks. The new one is re-designed and significantly lighter.

Exactly. OP, I would say that no, you didn't get "jipped" (whatever that means). I think what happened is that the dealership sold a saw they had on the shelf to a buyer who didn't know what he was looking at.

Personally, I'd want the m-tronic. I'd also want the new version unless the old version was significantly marked down. But, if you didn't know there was an old standard carb model, you weren't an informed consumer.

To be fair, though, it sounds like your dealer wasn't that great either. On the bright side, you don't have a computer on your chainsaw, and if you prefer older technology, then this saw is better than the m-tronic version.

What matters most is that you like the saw and that it performs as desired. :)

Yeah - When I go to my dealer the sales guy knows everything there is to know about saws and tries to explain all the differences. They also have last years models clearly marked and discounted if they have them on the shelf.

IMO they should have told you the saw was last years model. But you also need to do a little research when you are dropping $500+ on a saw.

I paid $649 + tax for my MS362 CM here in chicagoland and it came with 25" bar. The dealer down the street wanted another $150 for the same saw.

Yeah - When I go to my dealer the sales guy knows everything there is to know about saws and tries to explain all the differences. They also have last years models clearly marked and discounted if they have them on the shelf.

IMO they should have told you the saw was last years model. But you also need to do a little research when you are dropping $500+ on a saw.

I paid $649 + tax for my MS362 CM here in chicagoland and it came with 25" bar. The dealer down the street wanted another $150 for the same saw.

I wish I had your dealer in my town.

When I go to my dealer, they don't know anything about the saws, but that doesn't stop them from trying to tell me all the differences. They also have absolutely zero knowledge of any other brand of saws. "A Shindaiwa, you say? That's kind of a throw-away saw isn't it?":angry:

I've never seen any saw marked down there.

Latest posts

Back