jonsered 2139t

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gunther274

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Anyone have any experience with this saw? Also wondering why it often says top handle saws should not be used as ground saws? just wondering..

If you search a while ago rbtree or one of those guys had a thread calling it the new king of climb saws or something equivalent a while back.

It's a good saw but as I understand stihl ms 200t is still top dog in the category.

Husky has a new 540xp top handle coming out.

The top handles are tempting to use with one hand, which makes it difficult to control kickback. This is why they are identified as being for professional, in tree use only.

One handed or two handed, a top handle places both hands very close together giving less leverage to control kick back. The increased spread of a rear handle saw provides a lot more control.

nah, load of garbage, both hands on the saw and it's safe as houses, so much wrong info you hear about top handle saws, such as being "only any good up the trees" hehe you'll find those making all these all-knowing claims are the ones who've had about 5 minutes experience with them. The statement that "you shouldn't use a top handle saw on the ground" is a load of clueless nonsense

I have a 2139 T. Works just fine. Starts good, has decent power and has given me no grief. I do not use it everyday. I often read in these type of threads those touting the 200 T. I am sure it is a good saw. I paid $375 OTD last year for the 2139 T, the 200 T was over $600. It SHOULD be better for $225+ more dollars.

Just be sure to use both hands on the saw and give it the same respect as a rear handle saw and you should be fine.

I have a 2135 which is the exact same saw but for a slight elevation on the top handle which "guards" the on-off-choke swich against accidental shut-off if you happen to put your thumb there while cutting. I have never had a problem because I always have my thumb completely wrapped around the handle. I really like this saw. It is torquier than I ever expected a 39cc saw could be. With a full chisel Oregon chain(3/8 lo-pro) I can bury the 14in bar in dry oak & it doesn't complain. Jonsered lists max RPMs at 13800. Even with the limiter caps in place mine is adjustable down to 12800. I like it best set at 13300-13500. I have had two other top handle saws (Stihl 015 & Sachs-Dolmar). Both were good but nowhere as efficient cutting. If you are going to use this saw for bucking, which it will do just fine but not as fast as a 50cc or larger saw when you get over 8in diameter, I would suggest using winter grade bar oil. I find that mine lubricates better that way. I think you are going to like it!

Latest posts

Back