Jonsered Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Would anyone happen to have a newer style starter pulley for a 920 Super? Mine has the plastic housing, not the metal one so the newer style is needed.
Thanks in advance!

Ted

Geeze...the one week or so I don't go on ebay!! Nice haul....wouldn't have been a 'moment of weakness' for me...would have snapped it right up.

I'd sure like that full wrap if you're willing to sell.

Kevin
Geeze...I thought we talked about that stuff the first time it went to auction....yeah...You posted a link to that auction in post #3938.........LOLOL!!!......sorry the full wrap is most of the reason I grabbed it....you don't see them on this coast, especially for the old 80/90.....also the SS louver is intact.....every one I have and have seen on ebay had the center pair removed.......I assume a crude MM....I have a nice undented west coast 90 muffler that needs louver in good shape.....

Geeze...I thought we talked about that stuff the first time it went to auction....yeah...You posted a link to that auction in post #3938.........LOLOL!!!......sorry the full wrap is most of the reason I grabbed it....you don't see them on this coast, especially for the old 80/90.....also the SS louver is intact.....every one I have and have seen on ebay had the center pair removed.......I assume a crude MM....I have a nice undented west coast 90 muffler that needs louver in good shape.....

Lol you're right!!!! I completely forgot about that auction...D'oh! Yeah I remember now 'cause I made the comment about how everyone saws off the one end of the full-wrap, because the mount is unobtainium. My bad.....senior moment I guess.

I think in my 'stuff'' boxes, I have a rusty full-wrap off the 'underwater', ebay spectacular saw I bought. Really rusty though, so I don't know how much strength it has. I don't know why it's steel either, should be aluminum or some kinda alloy like on my work 80. I even talked to a machinist about making me some full wraps and that's pretty much outa the question on price. I gotta hit the Community College about that idea soon.

I remember you saying a long time ago that you had a west coast muffler without the louver....we talked about forming a louver in a hardwood jig. Anyway, that was a hell of a deal you snatched, enjoy!

Kevin

every one I have and have seen on ebay had the center pair removed.......I assume a crude MM...

Maybe, but when you think about the combined opening dimension of all the louver rows, I doubt if removing the center one would help in a MM. My center ones are gone, but only because one day they weren't there anymore! It's done nothing for the performance...runs just the same as it always had.....rather have it back intact for appearance sake.

Kevin

Maybe, but when you think about the combined opening dimension of all the louver rows, I doubt if removing the center one would help in a MM. My center ones are gone, but only because one day they weren't there anymore! It's done nothing for the performance...runs just the same as it always had.....rather have it back intact for appearance sake.

Kevin

Maybe that's what happened to all the others I've seen....just fell apart....again don't see many west coast mufflers around here!!

Maybe that's what happened to all the others I've seen....just fell apart....again don't see many west coast mufflers around here!!

Yeah it was really weird.....I mean how often would one expect to check the integrity of a louver....lol. I noticed it loose once and bought some nice, metric Allen cap screws for it....didn't notice anything then. Put the saw in the truck one afternoon after work and the center was missing out! So yeah, probably in the overall scheme of things, a common ailment....but that's 30+yrs hard use...can't complain about that!

Now it's eating spark plugs....Tim(fossil) thinks the plug wire might be bad....haven't had a chance to look at the wire integrity yet.

Kevin

Boy.........I'd like to have this........but where in the dickinz would you ever find the missing parts........never even seen one before...or any parts for one either.........

http://www.ebay.com/itm/jonsered-XG...062?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3cf271dc8e

OMG gents, look at what the factory silver should look like!!!!! Wow.....unbelievable find, but hell yeah, where in the world would you find parts that aren't all nasty and worn? You'd need a donor to make this one complete. Never seen any parts for this sold anywhere either........wow. Lack of AV's would finish off my old hands, but this is the kinda saw that belongs on display with a vintage bar and chisel chain.

Nice font 'Jonserds' on the side too!

Kevin

This is the part of the ignition that's uber rare.....and this one is NOS:http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-OEM-Jonsered-Ignition-Module-Coil

BIN for $200.....not at this moment, thank you...lol. I've been reading about how to break 'in' the Bosch modules and replace a capacitor and all is well. I would suspect the SEM to be rather similar. If it's dead you've got nothing to lose.

Kevin

This is the part of the ignition that's uber rare.....and this one is NOS:http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-OEM-Jonsered-Ignition-Module-Coil

BIN for $200.....not at this moment, thank you...lol. I've been reading about how to break 'in' the Bosch modules and replace a capacitor and all is well. I would suspect the SEM to be rather similar. If it's dead you've got nothing to lose.

Kevin

That's the spark coil for a 910E and certain later 451E/EVs........the wire insulation is very wimpy on those and simply shreds over time.....I have never had one fail, except from insulation failure, which doesn't harm the unit...just grounds it out like turning the switch to the off position......two lengths of small heat shrink tubing and a dab of liquid tape has fixed them right up.

That sure is spendy.......makes me a little feel better about buying that 80 stuff!!! Sawagain had some NOS ign parts a while back but I guess they're gone now.......he does have a used coil and module set listed still though.....like $59.00...

That's the spark coil for a 910E and certain later 451E/EVs........the wire insulation is very wimpy on those and simply shreds over time.....I have never had one fail, except from insulation failure, which doesn't harm the unit...just grounds it out like turning the switch to the off position......two lengths of small heat shrink tubing and a dab of liquid tape has fixed them right up.

That sure is spendy.......makes me a little feel better about buying that 80 stuff!!! Sawagain had some NOS ign parts a while back but I guess they're gone now.......he does have a used coil and module set listed still though.....like $59.00...

Yeah, these modules are getting really spendy. That's why on bigger saws they are breaking into the Bosch and SEM modules with heat guns and replacing capacitors. You did great on the 80 parts purchase...I would have bought that but well, the 'senior moment' and everything...lol

Kevin

four days in a row, the newly built 621 starts on the fourth pull. Pretty excited about that, seems like a good runner.

bought a nice bar on ebay, pic had a Tsumara rotary tip 18" bar for $22
When it arrived it was a rebadged Disston sproket nose by Sandvik
I'll be sending it back.

23" is probably a little big for the 621 but I do have another 90 I'm building so I bought a Total super bar for $22 plus shipping.

I'm still in the market for a 18-20"-ish 621 bar, holding out for a nice Total or Windsor.

four days in a row, the newly built 621 starts on the fourth pull. Pretty excited about that, seems like a good runner.

bought a nice bar on ebay, pic had a Tsumara rotary tip 18" bar for $22
When it arrived it was a rebadged Disston sproket nose by Sandvik
I'll be sending it back.

23" is probably a little big for the 621 but I do have another 90 I'm building so I bought a Total super bar for $22 plus shipping.

I'm still in the market for a 18-20"-ish 621 bar, holding out for a nice Total or Windsor.

Can't give you bar advice on anything smaller than an 80. Bars in general, seemed to have changed a lot over the yrs in quality and metallurgy. As previously mentioned, there are tons of used bars floating around on the bay and kinda fun & nostalgic at the same time. Now when I was loggin', bars were one thing that got a lot of attention. We wore those things down past usefulness...had 'em dressed, straightened, replaced tips constantly etc. Were lots of services doing bars back in the day for cheap. When you bought Cannon(Bailey's had them rebadged), General, Oregon or Windsor , you knew you were getting a quality bar. I loved those old General bars, but they came from a small company in OR and not so widespread as Cannon or Oregon.

Today for new, I don't have a clue other than to read feedback on them after a lot of pro type use and how they hold up. I don't think there were any 'bums' made with the correct 10mm J'red mount. Those should predate all the newer bars out there, because that mount opening has been extinct for some time. For the $$...I'm hearing a lot of nice things said about Forester, but never had one.

Kevin

I've been reading some of the same, but it just seems weird to me. I've built this classic saw and then I slap a forester blade on it . . . . . .

I want a Windsor or a Total dammit!!!!:surprised3::surprised3::surprised3::surprised3:

Like I said, can't help you on the newer stuff, but if you stay with bars of the original J'red 10mm mount, they're bound to have good metallurgy and look the part. I'm told there were Total bars(Tsumura ordered by Tilton) that said Jonsered on them...that would be uber cool!

The only newer bar I bought for the 80 was a Carlton and I had to modify that to fit...never doing that again. Then I've heard Carlton changed their metallurgy and they're soft now....so whatever. If you have access to a machine mill, making decent bars work on the older J'reds is no big deal, but you gotta make sure the oiler holes work like they should. I just got lucky with that Carlton.

If I had the money, I'd put Cannon Superbars on everything I had and have them milled to 10mm at the factory(they will do that for $$)...but I'd go broke doing it....lol

So I did a little research;Carlton bars were formally German made, but in some kinda Oregon buyout crap which including some other brands as well(Windsor for one), they became re-badged Oregon bars. That would explain why they got 'soft'. Blount now being the parent company of Oregon....geeze...they are becoming the 'Murry mower' of the chainsaw accessory biz.

Kevin

Back