Jonsered Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had a mint 2054 (49cc version) and I hated it. I sold it off and sort of discounted the whole series, that is until I ran a 2054 that had been converted to a 2055 at a GTG a few years ago. I had been on the look out ever since. This one is in good shape, but not so good that you don't want to use it. Here's a picture of the 2054 I sold.

View attachment 452213

The late production 49cc 2054 was insult to what those saws were designed to be (strong 50cc class saws). The last ones had a fake "silvertop" and was sold as the "classic", but there wasn't much classic about it-----

It seems to be leaking out of the plastic cover on the bottom, but it's hard to tell. There is oil all over it.

My memory may be off, but doesn't the oiler sit in an opening I the bottom of the case on those saws, like on the 535 etc? If so, the sealing around it may be a weak point...

Maybe he is used to running a, umm, tiny bar?

On a 110cc saw, what would be the point....see how much your arms could take? Almost everyone these days advocates running smaller, lightweight high revving saws for smaller bars...the power to weight ratio if for no other reason. The 111S is a HEAVY saw, it's even a tad heavier than my old Husky 2100's...the power head. (Actually I just looked that up on Acres and they are very close. I'd like to see the two weighed on the same scale...I'm betting the plastics on the 2100 would put it lighter by a small margin.)

I'm not saying he needs a 40" bar on the 111S for ego and/or to show off...28" would be fine/acceptable and the saw could stroke out fine in the appropriate timber.

Kevin

I was implying that his manhood was the "tiny bar" he had been running all his life so he wouldn't know how to handle a big bar.

My sense of humour does not translate well on the internet!

I was implying that his manhood was the "tiny bar" he had been running all his life so he wouldn't know how to handle a big bar.

My sense of humour does not translate well on the internet!

There are some psychologist & psychiatrists who would have field day analyzing some guys and their "need" for "power" "tools." :chainsaw:

There are some psychologist & psychiatrists who would have field day analyzing some guys and their "need" for "power" "tools." :chainsaw:

I think that's what made the original Tool Time show with Tim Allen so wildly popular...the unapologetic male craving for more 'power tools', as viewed on TV.

Kevin

Here ya go Robin . . . . . if you're still looking. Might be in your price range . . .

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Jonsered-11...part-20192R-/141796940735?hash=item2103c19bbf
Thanks Dean but I already bought one from that guy.......haven't had time to install it so I can run a short bar too...LOL!!!.......the 36" X .404 is great for 36" wood but rather ungainly in smaller stuff. Gonna put on a 3/8" full chisel in 24" as that's what I have on the shelf......Thanks again Modifiedmark!!!!!!

Thanks Dean but I already bought one from that guy.......haven't had time to install it so I can run a short bar too...LOL!!!.......the 36" X .404 is great for 36" wood but rather ungainly in smaller stuff. Gonna put on a 3/8" full chisel in 24" as that's what I have on the shelf......Thanks again Modifiedmark!!!!!!

I thought your original intention was to mill with that saw??

Kevin

I thought your original intention was to mill with that saw??

Kevin

No......a nice mill rig came with it but I don't have any use for a CS mill except to maybe slab up an interesting, odd shaped burl. For the past 30 years I've owned a Detroit powered rotary mill.......52" blade, 18' carriage on 76' of track. From my perspective a CS mill is something that makes hard, slow work harder and much, much, much slower. The reason I wanted a rim drive for the 111s is so I could swap over from .404 to 3/8" to be able to use some of the other B&C combos I have. .404 is very rare around here...and with the spur drive that came on the saw that's all I could run...

No......a nice mill rig came with it but I don't have any use for a CS mill except to maybe slab up an interesting, odd shaped burl. For the past 30 years I've owned a Detroit powered rotary mill.......52" blade, 18' carriage on 76' of track. From my perspective a CS mill is something that makes hard, slow work harder and much, much, much slower. The reason I wanted a rim drive for the 111s is so I could swap over from .404 to 3/8" to be able to use some of the other B&C combos I have. .404 is very rare around here...and with the spur drive that came on the saw that's all I could run...

Not to mention why risk the milling wear & tear on a rare saw (at least in the US) for which parts are difficult to find.

I attended a GTG where the host ran a modified Stihl 084 on a chainsaw mill to cut some pecan slabs. This particular pecan tree had an unusually large diameter (old tall pecan can be had, old fat pecan trees not so much). Slow is a gross understatement. And the long bar that had to be specially ordered cost considerably more than the 084 and the mods.

That was the deal....I remember something way back mentioned about a mill. Doesn't sound like the smaller wood around there would really warrant a .404 chain set-up anyway. Those spur drives are awful IMHO....if for no other reason, you can't change out the rim sprockets to match the wear in your chains. I'm shocked that a large cc saw like that would even come with one.

Kevin

That was the deal....I remember something way back mentioned about a mill. Doesn't sound like the smaller wood around there would really warrant a .404 chain set-up anyway. Those spur drives are awful IMHO....if for no other reason, you can't change out the rim sprockets to match the wear in your chains. I'm shocked that a large cc saw like that would even come with one.

Kevin
Yeah I didn't really expect a spur drive on that saw either....looks almost new.....just barely showing any drive link wear on the teeth...

Kevin

Lots of large saws came with spurs in the past, but I doubt that one did? The IPL I have show both options though....

Attachments

• 111S IPL.pdf
    502.3 KB · Views: 3
Back