Jonsered Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Agree with you, between this one and the 920 for $650 also listed in perpetuity you'd think they only made a few. I just picked these two up for a good price. Maybe I need to start flipping saws. LOL

Luke

31980ba5ed34488e2f97f6977e987aa4.jpg

Agree with you, between this one and the 920 for $650 also listed in perpetuity you'd think they only made a few. I just picked these two up for a good price. Maybe I need to start flipping saws. LOL

Luke

31980ba5ed34488e2f97f6977e987aa4.jpg

Nice score!

eBay is a last resort to me or the place where I can find something that I can't find anywhere else. Sometimes some 'deals' slip through....to the chagrin of the seller, I'm sure.

Gotta find these old guys now in sheds, barns, garages, estate auctions and the like. The infectious exaggeration of ebay has even started to affect prices on craigslist around here in large cc saws. The automatic knee-jerk response in figuring out what an old big cc saw is worth, is to go to eBay and check them out. Forget the fact that a lot of those saws don't sell and/or are listed as you say, in perpetuity.

Good homes always to be found with forum members....lol

Kevin

This one looks OK....seems to be all there....but you can't tell on the AV's which are getting harder and harder to find. If that's the OE muffler, it tells me the saw hasn't been thrown all around and thrashed. The lack of paint shouldn't put anyone off if you want a runner 80. You can make him an offer too. "Barn find"....bet he paid $50 tops for it....lol

http://www.ebay.com/itm/161866161206

Kevin

Ha ha, yeah, I don't think he'll get $250, but maybe get a good offer. I agree, he probably showed someone how dirty it was and how hard it was to pull over and stole it.

This one looks OK....seems to be all there....but you can't tell on the AV's which are getting harder and harder to find. If that's the OE muffler, it tells me the saw hasn't been thrown all around and thrashed. The lack of paint shouldn't put anyone off if you want a runner 80. You can make him an offer too. "Barn find"....bet he paid $50 tops for it....lol

http://www.ebay.com/itm/161866161206

Kevin

Yep I got that in my "Watch List" just to see what it goes for. I agree Kevin paint is not everything....I've seen many great running 80s with hardly any paint left on them...I own several. That may be the original muffler...earliest spark arresting type.....got a serious set of dog on there...that helps protect the muffler a lot and that one isn't without dents. 'Course who knows... I got one on and old 80 that was a late friend's saw. He was a big truck mechanic and cut wood to relax on the weekends...two 12 cord truckloads every weekend of 4 foot pulp.....that muffler has pop riveted patches on top of other pop rivited patches, front and back!!! I was all set to toss it and replace with a better one but decided if that's the way Cliff wanted it that's the way she'll stay,,,,

I think the dawg on that 80 was probably custom made, like I did mine. I never saw a factory 'J'red dawg that aggressive.

I am anxious to see what this saw sells for on the bay....going into firewood season and all.

Kevin

I think the dawg on that 80 was probably custom made, like I did mine. I never saw a factory 'J'red dawg that aggressive.

I am anxious to see what this saw sells for on the bay....going into firewood season and all.

Kevin

That looks like a fabricated H&S spike. It's hard to get a look at the whole thing though.

What do you all think of the 601? Any known issues or problems to be worried about? Looking at a couple if I can get a reasonable rate. Thanks!

What do you all think of the 601? Any known issues or problems to be worried about? Looking at a couple if I can get a reasonable rate. Thanks!

The 601 is a very nice saw and pretty smooth running considering no AV. 601 became the legendary 621. More of a collectable than a "user".......but still very "usable" if you have one.....mine runs great.....very nice recoil spring adjustment to get the rope to properly pull back.....no known problems or issues other than the usual NLA parts thing......

Good synopsis by Robin....forerunner of the 621 which is a great saw. I don't know if I'd want two 601's, but I'd definitely take two 621's....lol. The 601 is one of the venerable silver tops...just a dated design in the AV dept as said..

Kevin

Good synopsis by Robin....forerunner of the 621 which is a great saw. I don't know if I'd want two 601's, but I'd definitely take two 621's....lol. The 601 is one of the venerable silver tops...just a dated design in the AV dept as said..

Kevin
The 621's seem to command a premium these days. Thanks!

The 621's seem to command a premium these days. Thanks!

They're worth it...it's the little brother to the 80 which I have used in service for 35+yrs. When the 621 came out, it was a premium saw with a premium price and ahead of its time. Shares a lot of the same parts(621,801,80,90), which in a lot of J'red models lines is a definite plus......since everything is NLA.

Kevin

They're worth it...it's the little brother to the 80 which I have used in service for 35+yrs. When the 621 came out, it was a premium saw with a premium price and ahead of its time. Shares a lot of the same parts(621,801,80,90), which in a lot of J'red models lines is a definite plus......since everything is NLA.

Kevin

Actually the 621 is in kind of a niche of it's own. Though it looks very, very similar to the 80 and built the same design wise, not many parts are common between them. It really doesn't share many parts with models up or down except some ign parts. It's family members are the 62 and 621 which were developed from the 60 and 601. It's a odd duck in the family lines.......it's the only Jonsereds to have it's own trigger handle assembly that will not fit any of the others' whereas say a trigger handle from a 49SP will fit perfectly on a 49sp, 50, 51, 52/52E, 66E, 70E, 80/81/801, and 90. The only difference being the linkage to the carb on the various saw models. But they were one of the top sellers as Kevin said so there are lots and lots of parts saws out there. I believe the 49SP and 621 were the most sold models of the entire line.

Actually the 621 is in kind of a niche of it's own. Though it looks very, very similar to the 80 and built the same design wise, not many parts are common between them. It really doesn't share many parts with models up or down except some ign parts. It's family members are the 62 and 621 which were developed from the 60 and 601. It's a odd duck in the family lines.......it's the only Jonsereds to have it's own trigger handle assembly that will not fit any of the others' whereas say a trigger handle from a 49SP will fit perfectly on a 49sp, 50, 51, 52/52E, 66E, 70E, 80/81/801, and 90. The only difference being the linkage to the carb on the various saw models. But they were one of the top sellers as Kevin said so there are lots and lots of parts saws out there. I believe the 49SP and 621 were the most sold models of the entire line.

Yeah, I was talking about the plethora of ignition parts that transfer over, basically. That which I am poor in.....I've had a coil & point plate on my kitchen table so long, I don't remember why it's there.....lol.

Kevin

LOL!! Yeah, nothing like buckin' without oil, turning the bar around and doing it again limbing....

Same saw as the 80 but with a more modern AF & AF cover(same set-up as the 90). Looks pretty clean but missing ignition switch...that will cost if you want OE. Another full-wrap cut at the clutch side, rather than find the AV mount. Lower louver, non-restrictive muffler...nice!

This could be a sleeper unless it goes into a frenzy at the last. Very decent original looking saw, although the pics are lousy:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Jonserud-621

Kevin

LOL!! Yeah, nothing like buckin' without oil, turning the bar around and doing it again limbing....

Same saw as the 80 but with a more modern AF & AF cover(same set-up as the 90). Looks pretty clean but missing ignition switch...that will cost if you want OE. Another full-wrap cut at the clutch side, rather than find the AV mount. Lower louver, non-restrictive muffler...nice!

This could be a sleeper unless it goes into a frenzy at the last. Very decent original looking saw, although the pics are lousy:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Jonserud-621

Kevin

Yes it is....watching that one too...still 2 1/2 days out and with 8 bids now will probably go high...but you never know...always pays to watch. Sometimes the ball gets dropped and you can swoop in for the score at the last minute.

Latest posts

Back