Jonsered Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Welcome Joe. I had one of those lil reds running at one time, it was the first top handle saw I owned and the first saw I ever took apart to rebuild. Good little runner, still have the pieces of it in a box somewhere. Eventually, oil started coming out of the exhaust. With the price of top-handles these days, maybe I should dig it out and try to fix it.

I ran lil red this past weekend at our cabin. Lots of balsams dying here in Northern MN and winds are finishing them off. They are densely branched with small-diameter branches. Lil red ran and cut well. It was perfect for limbing those nuisance branches before we bucked the trunks with the 49SP. I was picking up some generic parts for the lil red project at a local hardware store and the guy in front of me at checkout was paying over $300 for a nice, new top-handled Stihl. I kept this thought to myself -- I've got about $40 into lil red and it will likely hold its own on tasks that the Stihl is specified for. If you get into reviving your lil red and need contacts for old Homelite XL parts I'll share a couple of good-folk sources with you.

Customer called me this morning and said a bunch of trees blew down in my new fence line. No wire up yet, just the 14' posts. Grabbed the 80 & 90 and headed to work. What a mess. The fence goes along a creek on what's called Cottonwood Road....there's a reason it's named that...lol. But these aren't the glorious Cottonwoods I cut last yr with two 33' logs at least on each tree and straight as an arrow. These were nasty, gnarly, multiple top messes....still, I get to work the saws so I'm very happy.

What's strange is...it wasn't much of a storm. My guess is that a previous wind storm(s) maybe loosened them and it didn't take much. Back in the Midwest/MO, those nasty Sycamores do the same thing on the creeks...they just uproot seemingly at random. Course the storms back there make these out here look like breezes, for the most part.

Kevin

Here's a little update on the 45E. I think the rear A/V mount on the 45 was a weak point and the 451 was created to fix the problem. This is where my 45 was broken and the picture below shows the difference (using good cases). Almost all parts will swap with the exception of the cases, rear handle/air box/choke and filter cover. This problem must have been noticed right away and fixed quickly, thus the short run of the 45 and why you don't see them very often.

P1010001.JPG

Here's a little update on the 45E. I think the rear A/V mount on the 45 was a weak point and the 451 was created to fix the problem. This is where my 45 was broken and the picture below shows the difference (using good cases). Almost all parts will swap with the exception of the cases, rear handle/air box/choke and filter cover. This problem must have been noticed right away and fixed quickly, thus the short run of the 45 and why you don't see them very often.

View attachment 490897

So those AV 'cups' would break off on the 45? That makes sense from lookin' at it....

I don't see how they sealed the airbox on the left pictured saw?

Kevin

So those AV 'cups' would break off on the 45? That makes sense from lookin' at it....

I don't see how they sealed the airbox on the left pictured saw?

Kevin

Yes, the A/V "cup" is what is broken on the other 45 I have and the front mount is also broken. I think the rear broke and the front followed with the extra leverage. And, the air box isn't sealed. The filter screws tightly to the carb elbow and the handle/carb box/filter cover float. The 451 filter set-up is the same and the only thing that floats is the handle.

I use Hylomar Blue.....it's a little spendy but it never hardens and gas and oil won't touch it.....it's only as messy as your finger lets it be.....
I got the Hylomar and mated one case so far I really like the Hylomar as you attested to. What about using it on the cylinder gasket? That gasket seems more rubbery but I am thinking the Hylomar would be good since the case halves are not precisely aligned at the seam. I am reassembling husky 162, 266 and 268 but apparently these are twin sisters if the jonsered line of the era.

Brian

I got the Hylomar and mated one case so far I really like the Hylomar as you attested to. What about using it on the cylinder gasket? That gasket seems more rubbery but I am thinking the Hylomar would be good since the case halves are not precisely aligned at the seam. I am reassembling husky 162, 266 and 268 but apparently these are twin sisters if the jonsered line of the era.

Brian
Sure Brian.....just a thin, even coat is all that's needed...don't over do it.....

View attachment 490897

Sweet! Makes sense. Glad that saw had good housings for you. Thanks for the update.

Hello my name is Jeff from North East, Pa. Several years back a co worker gave me this Jonsereds. Today I repaired the start/stop switch wire. After routine maintenance it fired right up. Little adjustment of the High/Low/Idle she purrs.

Need some help figuring out what I have here.

Labeled as a 801 but has compression release?
image.jpeg image.jpegSerial # 492441 image.jpeg image.jpeg
Better pic of Compression release.image.jpeg

Hello my name is Jeff from North East, Pa. Several years back a co worker gave me this Jonsereds. Today I repaired the start/stop switch wire. After routine maintenance it fired right up. Little adjustment of the High/Low/Idle she purrs.

Need some help figuring out what I have here.

Labeled as a 801 but has compression release?
View attachment 491707 View attachment 491708Serial # 492441 View attachment 491709 View attachment 491710
Better pic of Compression release.View attachment 491711

Awesome saw you have there. Someone with more experience than me will pop up and ID your saw but it looks like an 801 to me.

Agree with Eric....probably a 90 slug and jug. The 801 had a run of models with a plug where the compression release was because it's a shared top cover with the 90(the 801 never had compression release). So the PO could have put a 90 jug & slug on the 801. Or...could have been a 90 all along and PO broke the handle mount and put on one from an 801. So many parts interchanged, anything is possible. Unfortunately with older J'reds, serial #'s don't tell us much.

Anyway..welcome Jeff and you have a great saw! Did you compression check it?

Kevin

Awesome saw you have there. Someone with more experience than me will pop up and ID your saw but it looks like an 801 to me.
Thanks,
Agree with Eric....probably a 90 slug and jug. The 801 had a run of models with a plug where the compression release was because it's a shared top cover with the 90(the 801 never had compression release). So the PO could have put a 90 jug & slug on the 801. Or...could have been a 90 all along and PO broke the handle mount and put on one from an 801. So many parts interchanged, anything is possible. Unfortunately with older J'reds, serial #'s don't tell us much.

Anyway..welcome Jeff and you have a great saw! Did you compression check it?

Kevin
no, not yet. Pulls harder then a new saw even with the compression release. Do you have an idea of what it should be at?

Thanks,

no, not yet. Pulls harder then a new saw even with the compression release. Do you have an idea of what it should be at?

Healthy should be from 175 to 235......give or take.....not that familiar with the 90 but my main 80 always tests at 228 lbs......has for years....these are high compression engines from the 70s....large crown on the piston......made to run on better fuel than we see today.....still get more work done at a lower rpm than most modern saws...'cause you can pretty much ride 'em down through the cut......of course I may be biased....but these saws were splendid saws.....

Healthy should be from 175 to 235......give or take.....not that familiar with the 90 but my main 80 always tests at 228 lbs......has for years....these are high compression engines from the 70s....large crown on the piston......made to run on better fuel than we see today.....still get more work done at a lower rpm than most modern saws...'cause you can pretty much ride 'em down through the cut......of course I may be biased....but these saws were splendid saws.....
Thanks for the info on compression numbers.

I had my 910 in some cottonwood yesterday. I sure could lean on it. Be fun to try it in some hardwood. A little tough to get it anchored solid enough to pull it over when starting. Thinking of maybe putting the compression relief in it.

I visited my good friend today that I sold this 451E to last year. Figured I'd take a couple of photos of it and post them here. I'm also posting a couple of photos of the 49SP that's still in our family. Had posted these 49SP photos earlier but thought it would be good to juxtapose them to the 451E here now.
IMG_0684.JPG IMG_0685.JPG IMG_0145.JPG IMG_0149.JPG

Latest posts

Back