Jonsered Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks,

no, not yet. Pulls harder then a new saw even with the compression release. Do you have an idea of what it should be at?

You'll be fine with 150psi or better, in all reality. You can always break it down and view the inside of the jug and piston...clean up everything, throw in some Cabers and hope for the best. Like Robin said, these are two ring, domed piston engines and the saws LOVE to make torque. While many today are braggin' about one ring saws producing 15,000+rpm, these old guys just get the work done with torque and lots of it. Also like Robin said, it doesn't hurt the old pro saws to 'lean' into them...in fact they expect it....lol.

Kevin

From my understanding jonsereds serial numbers are pretty tough to tell anything from. There are others here who know a whole lot more than me though.

We've talked about this before in here...unlike other manufacturers, serial #'s on the older J'reds will tell you little if anything. Probably more info on older J'reds in this thread than anywhere. That and Spike60's vids.

Kevin

I had my 910 in some cottonwood yesterday. I sure could lean on it. Be fun to try it in some hardwood. A little tough to get it anchored solid enough to pull it over when starting. Thinking of maybe putting the compression relief in it.

Ah hell, they called us pu**ies if we complained about pulling those big 100cc+ saws like the Husky 2100, without compression release. When I carry my 90 idling with the bar pointing behind me, my knuckles hit the compression release. That saw doesn't have a full-wrap though and I struggle without it anyway. Old saws I bought with compression release always improved compression if I cleaned/replaced the decomp or just plugged the hole.

I did score a full-wrap for the 910 though....just gotta get that little pig up & runnin'. Thanks to one of my helpers, I have a full circle crack on my full-wrap for the 80. He loaded a bunch of wood on top of the saw. I do have a steel, full-wrap that just needs to be cleaned up. Of course it was cut like most of them are, due to a bottom unobtainium AV mount.

Kevin

Yes, that is mine. I am a hoarder trying to be less of a hoarder.

IMO, you're only a hoarder if you have 300+ saws outside somewhere. Or....your house is full of stacked saws and you have aisles between them. Otherwise, it's just CAD.

Full-wrap complete with the AV mount back to the clutch side...nice. I'd bid on it for parts if I didn't have so many parts for the 910. Your shipping is a bit steep, but you probably pack really well. You're being very straightforward about its faults...always a plus! I would expect you to get a decent price.

Kevin

IMO, you're only a hoarder if you have 300+ saws outside somewhere. Or....your house is full of stacked saws and you have aisles between them. Otherwise, it's just CAD.

Full-wrap complete with the AV mount back to the clutch side...nice. I'd bid on it for parts if I didn't have so many parts for the 910. Your shipping is a bit steep, but you probably pack really well. You're being very straightforward about its faults...always a plus! I would expect you to get a decent price.

Kevin

At my "peak" I had 500+ hats, 300+ 1/16th scale farm toys. 100+ chainsaws, 12 snowmobiles, 11 pickups, 7 dirt bikes, 4 riding lawn mowers, 3 farm tractors and a car. I've sold most of the hats, 2/3 the toys and I'm down to 75 or so saws, 9 sleds, 8 pickups, 3 bikes, 2 mowers and I still have 3 tractors and the car.

I always try to give full disclosure, especially on ebay where the item is being sold sight-unseen. It makes for less headaches down the road. I use the ebay shipping calculator and from VT to WA is a killer. What does it show for a price for you? Just curious.

At my "peak" I had 500+ hats, 300+ 1/16th scale farm toys. 100+ chainsaws, 12 snowmobiles, 11 pickups, 7 dirt bikes, 4 riding lawn mowers, 3 farm tractors and a car. I've sold most of the hats, 2/3 the toys and I'm down to 75 or so saws, 9 sleds, 8 pickups, 3 bikes, 2 mowers and I still have 3 tractors and the car.

I always try to give full disclosure, especially on ebay where the item is being sold sight-unseen. It makes for less headaches down the road. I use the ebay shipping calculator and from VT to WA is a killer. What does it show for a price for you? Just curious.

Ahha...that was the deal then. eBay was calculating the shipping to here without me asking it to. What I saw was $68 and some change(economy USPS) and I thought that was just your charge to everyone.

I dunno...there's a fine line between hoarding and 'collecting'. Hoarders by my definition, are generally miserable, compulsive disorder type people. They take no real pleasure in what they have...they're just compelled to accumulate junk. Using your hat example....if you had 500+ hats in a pile in the basement covered by something else, that would be hoarding. But if you enjoy showing them off and they're accessible, that's 'collecting'. There really isn't any quota to collecting, but if you have say 100 units, that are all basically the same and squirreled around somewhere, that's hoarding.

The snowmobiles, the pickups, the dirt bikes, the lawnmowers and tractors are things that are easily considered collectibles. Now if you never lifted a finger to any of them and they just sat there rusting after you acquired them, that could be hoarding......or it could be a guy that had originally good intentions, but just got in over his head. Hoarders don't usually admit to having too much stuff....on the contrary, they downplay what they have. It takes a family intervention to slim down a hoarder and it nearly kills them. I think you're just a guy with a lot of stuff that wants to cut back a bit. I couldn't list all the stuff here, but I was well on my way to potentially Disorderland when I had my farm in MO. I freely admit I have too many interests/hobbies that tend to suck me in. Being newly poor at my age has been like an engine governor....lol

A couple of yrs ago I talked to a guy in the south that at his "peak" had over 5,000 chainsaws and yes, they were outside in piles...probably tarped here and there I'm guessing. The only thing that saved him was that he made a business out of it and then one day the wife said ENOUGH! He had about 1,500 when I talked to him. And look at vinyl....you could have thousands of records and not be a hoarder....but again, they'd have to boxed, shelved or something. Piled up over your head from the floor randomly, that's hoarding.

Kevin

Hmmmmmm . . . . . . . a definition of hoarding. I'm not touching that one with a ten foot pole. Even though I have about 150 ten foot poles laying around.

Well, the easy def is if you have piles of stuff that are at least as high as your head with foot aisles through it all and it's not a salvage type business...you're a hoarder fer sure...lol

Kevin.

Lol.....or we could praise hoarders, because that means at least the whatsits didn't go to the dump. Sometimes with stuff that is uber rare, they are the ONLY source.....but then getting the whatsit from them can be a real challenge.

And if we're talkin' 49sp's....I know someone who hoards.o_O

Kevin

Lol.....or we could praise hoarders, because that means at least the whatsits didn't go to the dump. Sometimes with stuff that is uber rare, they are the ONLY source.....but then getting the whatsit from them can be a real challenge.

And if we're talkin' 49sp's....I know someone who hoards.o_O

Kevin
Shusssh Kevin....That's a secret.....

Latest posts

Back