Jonsered Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Starter her up and runs nicely, even though it only has about 140psi comp. Carb needs a cleaning and I have to have a look at the oiler as it wasn't putting any oil onto the chain in my brief run

I also have a 49sp and a 525 and I find these saws are very easy starters compared to many others.

Starter her up and runs nicely, even though it only has about 140psi comp. Carb needs a cleaning and I have to have a look at the oiler as it wasn't putting any oil onto the chain in my brief run

I also have a 49sp and a 525 and I find these saws are very easy starters compared to many others.

Have a look and see if the oil line going to the bar pad has become detached. The one on my 801 was. I'm not sure if that's a common occurrence or just an oddball incident. They aren't stingy oilers by any stretch.

Another thing to try Lee is; remove the bar and using a pump type oil can with just engine oil, pump oil down the oiler hole under light pressure until it seems to back up.....sometime if they've sat for a time the oil has run out of the oil pump body so the pump is just spinning in air unable to generate enough vacuum to pick it back up...this will prime the pump and hopefully get you going. The way these pumps are designed they just forward oil more than they actually pump it...an air bubble can kill ya......

Well finally got my 90 repaired. With the help of Kevin who sent me drill bits, a steel insert and the right sized tap. I was able to drill and re-tap one of the bar stud holes. It had a helicoil fitted which was no working at all. Now I have a saw with two good bar studs, the replacement went in a little bit more than the other but no bother. Pics show a 20" B&C which both need some work. We still have snow on the ground so it's not been in wood yet.

Glad it finally worked for ya, Lee! It's really hard to figure where to stop the insert so that the bar stud winds up at the exact height as the factory. I missed on mine by just a bit. I could always heat the LocTite up and redo the insert, but I'm not that ambitious at present. Works just fine as it is. Time-serts were made to eliminate problem, but they're crazy expensive.

Hope you like the low end torque, she's a real ripper!

Kevin

Picked these two up last week. The 801 came from a member on another site. It was scored and is my worst saw to this point for needing bearings. The only thing holding it together on the pto side was the seal.
The 80 came from the bay. I made an offer and the seller and I came to a fair agreement. I have wanted a 80 for years and actually bought one but it was too far gone to make a runner. It will be used for parts for these two. image.jpgimage.jpg

Nice scores, Shawn! Except for the AF system & top cover the 801 is identical to the 80. Given the scarcity of the 80 AF's, the 801 is becoming more attractive to some.

Since you have the 910,920 & 930 have you pitted them HARD against each other with similar B&C combos? And if so what are your thoughts?

Kevin

Thanks. The 801 is missing the air filter and some other small bits. The 80 seems complete. I have seen the discussion here about the 621 air filter set up on the 80. That is what I have.

Seller stated the 80 was hard to pull over. With a 12" starter rope and I'm guessing 220lbs of compression, I bet it is. P/c looks nice. It will probably run but I will go over it first.

On the 9xx series the 910 is a little stronger than the 920. It rarely gets to cut though because it's a beauty. My 930 has a woods ported 920 cylinder and opened up muffler. It runs pretty good. I think I have 3 920s and a 820. All except the 910 have functioning brakes. The 910 never had one.

image.jpg
Tore the 801 down today. I forgot how difficult the clutches and flywheels are to pull on the old saws. A little heat and the puller got it done though. These are the oldest jreds I have tore down. Reringed a few 49sp's but nothing major. The 9xx series are much more modern.
Got the case split. I use a piece of unistrut bolted to the bar stud and a 2 jaw puller gripping the unistrut and pushing on the crank to remove the clutch side case. To remove the flywheel side I just press the crank out with a 20 ton press (bought for wheel bearings but find more reasons to use it everyday) takes about 5 minutes to split a case once the case bolts are out. I split modern stihls the same way.
I have a outer race to still get out of the case half. Bearing just fell apart.
How do you remove the oiler out of the case? Never pulled one.

View attachment 497528
Tore the 801 down today. I forgot how difficult the clutches and flywheels are to pull on the old saws. A little heat and the puller got it done though. These are the oldest jreds I have tore down. Reringed a few 49sp's but nothing major. The 9xx series are much more modern.
Got the case split. I use a piece of unistrut bolted to the bar stud and a 2 jaw puller gripping the unistrut and pushing on the crank to remove the clutch side case. To remove the flywheel side I just press the crank out with a 20 ton press (bought for wheel bearings but find more reasons to use it everyday) takes about 5 minutes to split a case once the case bolts are out. I split modern stihls the same way.
I have a outer race to still get out of the case half. Bearing just fell apart.
How do you remove the oiler out of the case? Never pulled one.

I use a good quality, USA made needle nose to get the oiler out. Grab the shaft after you remove that hex packing collar and pull firmly out....you're just battling a series of O-rings.

Yes the 910E was a very different saw than the 80/90. I was given one to use loggin' for a day when the saw was new. I didn't see any reason/advantage other than weight, to run down to the dealer and replace my 80 with it. And.....I was horrified at all the use of plastic....most of us got over that eventually, in most things...lol

Kevin

Thanks Kevin. Got the oiler out. Hopefully I'll get the bearing race out and cases cleaned up and ready to reassemble this week. I should have the bearings and seals here, just need to pick up some more gasket material to make a case gasket.

Damn......an ebayer came on last night with a half dozen NOS Ps and P&Cs......hadn't run all the # down but P and P&C for the 49sp, a P&C for the 451, P for the 630 etc. $20.00 starting bids.......then just now, all gone.....auction ended because of error in listing, lost or broken. no longer available blah blah blah......someone got to him on the lot me thinks.... deal done off ebay...not a visable transaction........pretty irritating after putting them out to auction.....not to mention against ebay rules.....to make matters worse the seller was a fellow Mainah.......within driving distance.....grrrrrrrrrr.......now which one of you guys is the lucky buyer???...LOL....

Damn......an ebayer came on last night with a half dozen NOS Ps and P&Cs......hadn't run all the # down but P and P&C for the 49sp, a P&C for the 451, P for the 630 etc. $20.00 starting bids.......then just now, all gone.....auction ended because of error in listing, lost or broken. no longer available blah blah blah......someone got to him on the lot me thinks.... deal done off ebay...not a visable transaction........pretty irritating after putting them out to auction.....not to mention against ebay rules.....to make matters worse the seller was a fellow Mainah.......within driving distance.....grrrrrrrrrr.......now which one of you guys is the lucky buyer???...LOL....

I was just about to post about those. The seller name is mivillej. I also suspect that someone made him a nice offer away from eBay.

Since I have them on my watch list:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/311589497986?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

http://www.ebay.com/itm/311589502583?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

http://www.ebay.com/itm/311589503573?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

http://www.ebay.com/itm/311589503936?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Yep those are the ones...plus two more....someone got 'em .....either local or a back door ebay deal.....not the first time I've seen these actions on Jonsereds NOS parts....Oh well...so it goes......

I see this happen often, usually for two reasons like Robin said. Either an eBayer made an offer for the lot...which is against their rules....or they just sold locally. A lot of guys list on eBay but locally at the same time and then sell for cash. So when they remove the listing they give those reasons Robin stated(which is just a range of appropriate reasons on eBay). Against the rules too if you're lying, I believe.

I used to know this guy that bought hay for his animals every yr and he'd call about a half dozen people with hay. Whomever showed up first got the sale. Problem was, he never called the others once he got the hay, so they often showed up with hay and the guy just shrugged. So if you're bidding on something and the seller backs out because he made a backdoor/backyard sale, it ain't right. I don't know how serious this is to eBay. A couple of time I've won an auction, sent the money and had it refunded. Flake reasons given, so I can only assume they sold locally and didn't want to pay eBay's fees.

Kevin

I won't bid on an item just to screw-up a BIN price (some people actually admit to doing that out of spite).

I will place a tire-kicking bid on an item that I'm interested in just to discourage the seller from changing their mind The last time I did this the seller ended the auction any way. The notice from eBay basically said "The seller ended the auction, your bid has been cancelled, TFB for you."

Oh yeah Kevin, ebay doesn't like that one bit.......they aren't much on free advertising!!!! But hard to prove....

Picked up a NOS flocked 111S air filter last night.....spendy....but as said you can't get these any more so bite the bullet. Also picked up an old 20" roller tip Oregon bar with a chain from a 111S too...different seller.....wanted something other than the 36" I have on it....like those old roller tips on big old saws....of course it'll fit all the other big Jonsereds in the herd too.....finally picked up a rim drive for the 111 so now I'm not restricted to only .404 anymore.

Latest posts

Back