Jonsered Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good point...anything could be missing from the points system too, or it's rigged with a chip....doesn't sound like the seller is savvy on chainsaws. Spark plug wires just don't up & walk off....someone took it off for a reason. $50-$75 parts saw for 'unknown' factor.

Kevin

I agree...more like $50-$75 for a non-running saw missing the spark lead and cracked clutch cover. Even if it had more paint left, it's still technically, a parts saw. These kinda saws are best negotiated with in person....guy can't make it run with missing parts, you got him over a barrel. I bought a really expensive camcorder once at a garage sale for like $5, because the guy couldn't make it work. Was just a bad charger....lol.

I've always wondered which wears the handle paint faster;gloves or skin. Guess it depends on how much you sweat, the acidity of your skin and whether or not the gloves are leather or cotton etc.

Kevin

Yep paint wear is somewhat subjective between gloves/no gloves etc. I think weather/moisture effects it as well. I suspect that a pro saw hand would be cutting in many differing conditions depending on where he is cutting, whereas a personal firewood cutter might give it up in the snow/rain.....moisture will hold grit and crud to your hands or gloves grinding it into the paint surface. You never know on an ebay saw you can't touch and examine.

A guy posted a picture on another site of a Jonsered(s) clutch cover. It had 3 numbers on the bottom of it. 10, 12, and 14 IIRC. I'm sure some of you on here know what saw(s) they were on and what they were there for. I know none of mine have them?

A guy posted a picture on another site of a Jonsered(s) clutch cover. It had 3 numbers on the bottom of it. 10, 12, and 14 IIRC. I'm sure some of you on here know what saw(s) they were on and what they were there for. I know none of mine have them?

Copy and post the pic here if you can. Maybe Robin or Eric would know for sure about the numbers, if they're more than casting numbers.

Kevin

Yep paint wear is somewhat subjective between gloves/no gloves etc. I think weather/moisture effects it as well. I suspect that a pro saw hand would be cutting in many differing conditions depending on where he is cutting, whereas a personal firewood cutter might give it up in the snow/rain.....moisture will hold grit and crud to your hands or gloves grinding it into the paint surface. You never know on an ebay saw you can't touch and examine.

Well, what I can tell ya is that loggin', the handle paint came off really FAST. And after a point all the woods saws looked about the same paint-wise. Except on the landing and whatever traditionally POS saws they were using there... lol.

It has to do with cutting legal trees in Scandinavia. I can't remember the minimum size, but they have to be a certain diameter to cut. That 10, 12 and 14 are cm from the back of the cover. I've seen it on the 2050/2045 etc series and the 2150/2149 etc series saws.

It has to do with cutting legal trees in Scandinavia. I can't remember the minimum size, but they have to be a certain diameter to cut. That 10, 12 and 14 are cm from the back of the cover. I've seen it on the 2050/2045 etc series and the 2150/2149 etc series saws.

IIRC Saw Troll posted something about those numbers being for measuring trees.

I have a 525 that also has number on the clutch cover. Not near it now so not sure what #s. I was wondering if it might be a way of measuring?

Great! Thanks guys. I'm guessing from the looks of the cover it could be from a 5 series saw. I don't own any of them. I have a 49SP, a few 630's, and 670's. 1 830, a 920, and a 930 Super, and none of them have those numbers on them.

I got the new-to-me 490 all straightened out....only had a couple minor issues....needed a new oil cap and the stud that holds the top cover on was twisted off flush in the bottom of the hole in the cyl.....the aluminum nut was missing as well.....drilled and retapped the hole and installed a used nut and oil cap that tbone75 sent me (Thanks John!!)......starts and runs super......great saw for $79.00.....it was set up for 3/8" chain so I put on an 18"...gonna convert it back to .325 X 18 when I get a minute....fast, smooth, nice running little saw!!!

I managed to finally round up the last few pieces to rebuild a '92 625. I tore it down and put it back together this moring. It had a lot of hours but beyond a bit of paint wear, everything is in good shape. New Caber, flushed the crankcase and bearings, new seals, 0-rings, and so on. It is running very well now. I originally figured on a parts saw but the excellent condition of the p&c convinced me otherwise.

I really enjoy working on these.

Jonsered 625 1.jpg Jonsered 625 2.jpg Jonsered 625 3.jpg

These two saws are in rough condition, but might be useful for parts. The bidding would need to stay low (.99 starting bids), and the seller would need to combine the shipping costs (about $50.00 each separate shipping).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/172177768856?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

http://www.ebay.com/itm/311598629193?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

They are only $16.07 each for shipping to me.......both seen better days....but parts are parts.....70E would be worth it if it had spark....but that is an unknown.....and who knows.....I once bought a 90 in much worse condition and it ended up having a barely used NOS P&C.....machine marks still very much visible on the piston skirts...ended up being a super deal....for parts....

That 111S with a good cover and not much else finally went for $249.99 plus $45.00 shipping....phew.....lot of moneys moving around for junk saws.....

I got the new-to-me 490 all straightened out....only had a couple minor issues....needed a new oil cap and the stud that holds the top cover on was twisted off flush in the bottom of the hole in the cyl.....the aluminum nut was missing as well.....drilled and retapped the hole and installed a used nut and oil cap that tbone75 sent me (Thanks John!!)......starts and runs super......great saw for $79.00.....it was set up for 3/8" chain so I put on an 18"...gonna convert it back to .325 X 18 when I get a minute....fast, smooth, nice running little saw!!!

WOOT WOOT!! Picked up another 490 today....this one may need more work than the other......or maybe not...either way a real decent looking one owner saw.....and the price was right!! $45.oo plus $21 shipping......was weird though.....at auction the shipping was $18.28 at point of sale it became $20.99.....????? Only $2.71 but????? That's never happened before......not worth fussing/whining about....but just the same.....odd...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Jonsered-49...yzNhL%2BIzvXM7Qqr2s3E%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Back