Jonsered Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[QUOTE="Cantdog, post: 6444059, member:
Not really sure why they have an external trigger....the system look for all the world like the standard 49SP ign which is just the coil, flywheel and switch.[/QUOTE

I think the coil on the later models is just a plain points tpye coil with no solid state components.

Could very well be.....though I don't know why it isn't like the 49sp as they were produced at the same time.....same brand coils...etc.

If it goes for anywhere close to that, Scott will make out like a bandit on any of his oldie but goodie J'red stuff......once he gets it here.

Kevin

You're not kidding! I have five XD's -- one very nice robin's egg blue XD Super, two dark red XD supers like the one in the ad (one very nice, and one that's rough), and two brighter red XD's (one very nice, one rough). The three nice ones came from the same collector in rural northern Sweden, and if I recall correctly, all have compression and spark.

IMG_7462.JPG IMG_0667.JPG 262132330_7969cfcc-f23d-44fb-b470-def6653912df.jpg

Hard to tell on value for these, since they rarely change hands in the states, but you can bet that I'm watching this auction!

On a related note, I plan to liquidate much of my Jonsereds inventory when I get back to the states in July. Won't be a fire sale, but I need to sell some saws to fund my musclecar addiction....errr....hobby. And I know it's blasphemy to say it here, but I'll try to focus more on vintage Stihl, along with hanging on to some non-Stihl Holy Grail saws.

Anyway, if you've always wanted an XF, XD, XH, XB, 60, 601, 62, 601, 80, 111, etc., keep that in mind. Will start with saws that I have multiples of and go from there.

Thanks

Scott

Well, I call dibs on a decent 111S.....don't care about the paint but 100% functionality. This would be my only shot at one.

Your saws are mostly rare/gorgeous and you did a phenomenal job collecting them. Unfortunately, on all the X- stuff, the market is very limited and usually driven by older guys wanting those saws. When us old farts die out, I'm not sure who will carry such interest in this genre.

Kevin

Gents, where can I learn the different families/models/generations of Jreds, which are pro, etc.? Seems like someone would have it down somewhere...want to know what to keep my eyes open for as an upgrade from my 2050.

Thanks!

Well, I call dibs on a decent 111S.....don't care about the paint but 100% functionality. This would be my only shot at one.

Your saws are mostly rare/gorgeous and you did a phenomenal job collecting them. Unfortunately, on all the X- stuff, the market is very limited and usually driven by older guys wanting those saws. When us old farts die out, I'm not sure who will carry such interest in this genre.

Kevin

111S dibs acknowledged! I should have all of the parts to get 'em all up and running.

I agree that the market is limited for XA, XB, XD, XF, XH saws, but so is the supply. Only a handful of these in the states.

Thanks,

Scott

111S dibs acknowledged! I should have all of the parts to get 'em all up and running.

I agree that the market is limited for XA, XB, XD, XF, XH saws, but so is the supply. Only a handful of these in the states.

Thanks,

Scott

True dat.....you're bringing back very rare saws over here! Given the condition and completeness, I hope you do very well.

Kevin

Gents, where can I learn the different families/models/generations of Jreds, which are pro, etc.? Seems like someone would have it down somewhere...want to know what to keep my eyes open for as an upgrade from my 2050.

Thanks!

Yeah, follow that link through and Eric here did the conversion on models. Even Niko approved.....lol.

As far as “pro” saws go that designation after the early 80’s became more and more dubious. Everybody was guilty including Husky. By definition a “pro” saw is a saw that is used everyday of the work week and hammered on mercilessly. My def would be saws over 80cc for loggin’, but it’s only fair to include the smaller cc saws that are used hard clearing, pruning and in constant use as well.

So to broaden the definition, it would be saws that could be used constantly during the work week and helping to make a living for you. That would be the design expectation; that they would be in constant use under the toughest conditions.

That being said there were borderline saws by most manufacturers that were touted as “pro” saws or “semi-pro” saws that were actually not. Let’s just say they got loose and fancy free with the word “pro”,

Kevin

I have a 630 which I really do like to cut with but it seems a bit choked off in the muffler. I'm assuming this model doesn't come apart.

upload_2018-1-17_17-6-46.png

There looks to be two holes in the baffle at about 5/16" diameter to let the exhaust gas out of a choked down exit hole.
Any point in trying to open this muffler up in some fashion assuming it doesn't come apart?
My 036 had a choked down muffler as well (one 3/8" dia hole) and it's one of the few saws that I did open up the muffler that showed some gains.

Tim,
There is a science to this with mufflers on two cycle engines. Look at the mufflers they put on race saws. Unfortuntely, I've never monkied with 'em, but have worn out the baffles from long hrs of use. I have a name of a guy that modifies mufflers, but he ain't cheap. I've seen a lot of them brazed back together...I question how many really know what they are doing.

Kevin

So...if a guy is looking for a good used professional saw between 50 and 95 ccs to do most everything, I’m thinking 60cc. Which Jonny should I be looking for? Thanks!

If I were to pick something semi modern I would pick a 2171 for the 70cc class and perhaps a 2159 or 2156 for a 60ish saw.....2156 is the PRO version of the 2159.....all very good handling saws.

If you were looking for older I would say the 670 Champ or 630 Super II both PRO saws.....

I have a 630 which I really do like to cut with but it seems a bit choked off in the muffler. I'm assuming this model doesn't come apart.

View attachment 626252

There looks to be two holes in the baffle at about 5/16" diameter to let the exhaust gas out of a choked down exit hole.
Any point in trying to open this muffler up in some fashion assuming it doesn't come apart?
My 036 had a choked down muffler as well (one 3/8" dia hole) and it's one of the few saws that I did open up the muffler that showed some gains.

No those don't come apart easily like some.

Here is the one I did on my 61/268XP conversion.....I added the outlet on the right...directly behind this is one of the opening in the baffle....it doesn't open the holes in the baffle but more than doubles the exhaust outlet. Makes it a lot louder but show fair gains especially if you have to run spark screens.

630 Build 008.jpg 630 Build 016.jpg 630 Build 015.jpg

My neighbors stock 625 is louder then my 2065 with a jungle muffler and added 2nd oversized outlet. That 61 has to roar!

My neighbors stock 625 is louder then my 2065 with a jungle muffler and added 2nd oversized outlet. That 61 has to roar!

Yeah it's quite loud...with the squish set to 0.020" and ported.....running a velocity stack and K&N filter adds to the noise as well!!

Back