Jonsered Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Was looking for a late 70e and found one in Nice condition. Turns out its been converted to the early style ignition. Was looking to get a late flywheel. Looks like it will be resurrected instead.

Here you can see how the coil mounting boss was ground down for the retro-fit.

Otherwise it was a clean conversion. This saw originally had a brake but that was deleted at some point.

We figure the piston scored from thin gaskets at the carb and bolts bottomed out. Making it leak after some time.

Who ever reworked the carb couldn't have been the same person who did the conversion. Was likely the previous owner.

Was looking for a late 70e and found one in Nice condition. Turns out its been converted to the early style ignition. Was looking to get a late flywheel. Looks like it will be resurrected instead.

Otherwise it was a clean conversion. This saw originally had a brake but that was deleted at some point.

We figure the piston scored from thin gaskets at the carb and bolts bottomed out. Making it leak after some time.

Who ever reworked the carb couldn't have been the same person who did the conversion. Was likely the previous owner.

I don't know 'why' anyone would want to convert back to the early SEM's igntion under the flywheel. But there are now new SEM's modules available for the Husky 2100...so maybe more saws to follow?

Kevin

I don't know 'why' anyone would want to convert back to the early SEM's igntion under the flywheel. But there are now new SEM's modules available for the Husky 2100...so maybe more saws to follow?

Kevin
It's interesting me !

Envoyé de mon GT-I9505 en utilisant Tapatalk

To do the conversion pretty much need a functional donor saw. One advantage is there seem to be a few more nos old style cylinders then late models.

Did some parts swapping today and now I have three good saws and one that needs just about everything...

The one that needs it all is a 111S dump find that came in from Canada. It donated a good top cover, clutch cover, decomp, rear handle, muffler, large felling dogs, and full wrap to some of the other saws. It was in the dump because the engine blew - small end of the connecting rod camp apart. Piston and rod are junk; crank may still be good; not sure at this point. Jug can't be saved without re-plating.

The 110/111 doesn't have spark, but I haven't tried to chase that down yet. Compression is good at 150.

Of the other two, both are in pretty good shape, but one has a piston that's seen better days. Still has 120 psi compression, however.

View attachment 616304 View attachment 616305 View attachment 616307

And some good news on the 111 front! Forum member came through with a great 111 parts haul -- two jugs, two pistons, rear handle, 2 oil caps, recoil assembly, clutch cover, crank and rod, and two mufflers! That should be enough to get all of mine back in business. Just lacking a few oil caps and a 111S air filter cover. Also need to split at least one case if anyone knows where I can find some gaskets.

Thanks,

Scott

The 70e "parts saw" is up and running strong. Need to sharpen a chain and run a couple more tanks through er now!

New AM piston.
Slightly opened exhaust and transfers.
New crank seals.
New fuel line (had tygon shrunk and brittle went with black nitrile).
Waiting for carb kit but runs pretty good after cleaning low side passages.

Couldn't be happier for a $20 parts saw.

It could have been converted the other way......a late cyl installed on an early 70E. The serial number will actually tell the tale. If it is 158500 or below it's an early ign saw...if it is 158500 or above it will be a late ign style. One of the very few times you can use the serial number on an older Jonsereds to determine anything.

It could have been converted the other way......a late cyl installed on an early 70E. The serial number will actually tell the tale. If it is 158500 or below it's an early ign saw...if it is 158500 or above it will be a late ign style. One of the very few times you can use the serial number on an older Jonsereds to determine anything.
Thank you sir! It was your Restore thread where I ran across the serial# break. The "parts saw" fell into the early #'s of the late range. That was why we had hoped to get a donor late flywheel.

I did get some photos of some of the differences. Like the short vs long coil bosses in the recoil. I will try to add them here sometime since yours were lost.

Still looking for a late flywheel if anyone has a spare.

Thank you sir! It was your Restore thread where I ran across the serial# break. The "parts saw" fell into the early #'s of the late range. That was why we had hoped to get a donor late flywheel.

I did get some photos of some of the differences. Like the short vs long coil bosses in the recoil. I will try to add them here sometime since yours were lost.

Still looking for a late flywheel if anyone has a spare.

Lot of effort/parts needed to make the change from late to early......But.....I have one 70E parts saw where a rather clever machinist made some pretty complicated adaptors to hold the coil to the early style cyl on a late ign saw. So you can never second guess someone elses thought processes and abilities
I do have all those lost pics if you need to view any of them just ask and I'll post them up here. Gotta love those 70Es!!! (and all the rest of course)

I'd love to see the pics, Robin....for reference! Damn shame all those pics were lost on AS yrs ago during the hack.

Heard on NPR yesterday that Intel processors have a vulnerable hacking point and all the personal stuff in The Cloud et al can be accessed. Alll I can say to people that trust third parties like that is, I told ya so.

Kevin

Well Kevin it was a three saw build.....two 49sps and a 70E....from case splitting....bearing replacement on up.....more than a hundred pics.....way to many to post but I can if anyone has a question that I or the pics can answer...be glad to....just tell me what number pic you want and it'll be done...

That thread is awesome. Wish I had seen it as written with the pictures. I woulda used web2pdf and kept an offline copy. Everything you will never learn from an IPL.

Side note. Is there a worse saw to clean then a 52 with the tank vent in the air box? Seriously gotta route that sucker out of there!

Yes it ran like that. But it got cleaned and new seals today. Carb cleaning ECT this weekend. All I had for a sprocket was an 8-pin so gonna give that a run till I get some more.

Well Kevin it was a three saw build.....two 49sps and a 70E....from case splitting....bearing replacement on up.....more than a hundred pics.....way to many to post but I can if anyone has a question that I or the pics can answer...be glad to....just tell me what number pic you want and it'll be done...

I was just curious about conmverting a early 70E to the later ignition style....how much is involved...how much hassle, what parts needed etc. I've never had a 70E and so never had the two (early and later) side by side.

The 70E was such a popular saw, my hope is that they will reissue the SEM's module like they did on the Husky 2100. Unfortunately, I suspect a lot of the early 70E's were tossed or cannibalized.

Kevin

That thread is awesome. Wish I had seen it as written with the pictures. I woulda used web2pdf and kept an offline copy. Everything you will never learn from an IPL.

Side note. Is there a worse saw to clean then a 52 with the tank vent in the air box? Seriously gotta route that sucker out of there!

Yes it ran like that. But it got cleaned and new seals today. Carb cleaning ECT this weekend. All I had for a sprocket was an 8-pin so gonna give that a run till I get some more.

I have a 52 for parts that I bought really cheap in case anyone in the forum needs a part. I have no interest in the saw otherwise. In the 80/801/90 they took the tank vent and ran it through a snug hole on the top right side of the case....with a bronze sintered filter stuck in it at the terminal end.

Kevin

I was just curious about conmverting a early 70E to the later ignition style....how much is involved...how much hassle, what parts needed etc. I've never had a 70E and so never had the two (early and later) side by side.

The 70E was such a popular saw, my hope is that they will reissue the SEM's module like they did on the Husky 2100. Unfortunately, I suspect a lot of the early 70E's were tossed or cannibalized.

Kevin

Well it's certainly not undoable....the parts needed to upgrade to the later ign would be as follows; later cyl, coil, trigger, flywheel and later recoil.....you could get by with the older recoil but you have to cut the two bosses off the inside where the original coil mounts as they are in the way of the later cyl mounted coil. The later replacement recoils came with removable bosses/lugs so they could be used on either saw. As for the NLA trigger that mounts under the carb I have been told the an Atom module or other points replacement module will work but I have never tried that to see for myself. Not really sure why they have an external trigger....the system look for all the world like the standard 49SP ign which is just the coil, flywheel and switch.

[QUOTE="Cantdog, post: 6444059, member:
Not really sure why they have an external trigger....the system look for all the world like the standard 49SP ign which is just the coil, flywheel and switch.[/QUOTE

I think the coil on the later models is just a plain points tpye coil with no solid state components.

Latest posts

Back