Jonsered Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If the 70E is running right, it's very much a "man's" saw for anyone except someone loggin'. As a firewood cutter/gatherer, it's one tough bird. You should like it lots. If the price is ever right on one, I'll take one home someday for the business.

Funny about that module...I've never heard of a rubbing fitment like that.....don't think it's very common or I would have heard.

Kevin

I know it must be a strange situation, but I had a similar problem with the original module and had to do a little sanding on the flywheel for that one as well. One magnet was hitting all of the laminations on the module.

I painted the module laminations black and the flywheel magnet laminations red. As you can see in the photo below, the magnet was dragging on all three laminations in the module.

20180901_074249.jpg

The magnet in the flywheel before any sanding.

20180901_074301.jpg

Magnets on the other side were not touching.

20180901_074315.jpg

After sanding the first time there was still a bit of contact.

20180901_080149.jpg

In any case it is all better now.

Mark

Hey Eric!! There's a guy on the main saw forum I been talking to.....he has a 52 he's trying to get going and I been giving him some advise. Has asked about the casting letter/number.....he showed a pic of a 52E that had the regular T4 casting same as the 49SP but his has a T2 casting.....do you have any info on that...I offered some speculation but no firm info to back it up.

No info, but here is some data from my saws:

49SP's---T4
50--------T
51--------T
52--------T2 (this 52 is a later one with the red/white decals)
52E------T4
521E---Clutch side T3, Flywheel side T2 (but looks very different than the other castings, also has a 102 next to it)

My "guess" would be that the T2 casting added a provision for the adjustable oiler.

".....before putting it up on display with the other Jonsered saws in the collection (2 x 621, 910, 910E, 70E, this 50, and a 2050 that I use on a fairly regular basis)."

Are you saying you have a points 910, or is that a mistype??

Kevin

Mark, you will like that 70E very much. I have one that my father bought new when he switched from McCulloch. It got little use because he stopped logging shortly after. It is my go to saw when the wood exceeds 24".

Sorry about that Kevin, they both are electronic ignition. The first one that I have had for a while doesn't have good labels on the clutch cover so I forgot it was indeed an "E" as well. And all this time I was thinking the "E" referred to electronically heated handles...

Mark

That's OK, Mark. I've seen that before when someone claims they have a 910 without the "E"....it really gets my curiosity going....lol! In J'reds the "EV" indicates electronic ignition & heated handles. Robin has a lot of them and is familiar with the mechanism....Eric too I believe. I've never had the pleasure of seeing/having one yet. However, an AS member who was a logger like me said that he had the switch melt down with prolonged use on more than one model. That doesn't exactly make me want to search the world for one...lol.

Kevin

A little off topic of the 70es and 910s but does anyone have any good porting tops to the 625 or 61 jugs? I have the 630 and 670 pretty dang potent. I got 2 stock 625s that id love to spice up.

No info, but here is some data from my saws:

49SP's---T4
50--------T
51--------T
52--------T2 (this 52 is a later one with the red/white decals)
52E------T4
521E---Clutch side T3, Flywheel side T2 (but looks very different than the other castings, also has a 102 next to it)

My "guess" would be that the T2 casting added a provision for the adjustable oiler.

Thanks Eric......my saws read the same but my three 521Es read T2 on the clutch and flywheel side which threw me.......I figured the T2 was the early 52 and the T4 was the 49SP and 52E....but when I found the flywheel side of the 521E was also a T2.....that didn't make any sense to me as it is a totally different case half than the onther T2 saws.......the 102 is actually read as 1-0-2, on the 521E, meaning 1 is the low heat setting, O is off and 2 the high heat setting...

That's OK, Mark. I've seen that before when someone claims they have a 910 without the "E"....it really gets my curiosity going....lol! In J'reds the "EV" indicates electronic ignition & heated handles. Robin has a lot of them and is familiar with the mechanism....Eric too I believe. I've never had the pleasure of seeing/having one yet. However, an AS member who was a logger like me said that he had the switch melt down with prolonged use on more than one model. That doesn't exactly make me want to search the world for one...lol.

Kevin
I would think the handles would get uncomfortably hot by the time the switch melted!!!! There is no regulator in these systems.....the harder and longer you run the saw the hotter the handles get. The 521E and the 910EV are the only Jonsereds I've seen with two heat settings. I know if I'm just starting out I use "2" but if I'm cutting in a large pile it's not long before it goes back on "1" or off. "2" is just to much heat at sustained high RPM..

A little off topic of the 70es and 910s but does anyone have any good porting tops to the 625 or 61 jugs? I have the 630 and 670 pretty dang potent. I got 2 stock 625s that id love to spice up.

You can widen the exhaust port some and take 1/16" or so off the bottom of the piston skirt on the intake side and that will help them out a bit but being an open port cyl and a non-windowed piston you can only get so much. When I first built the 61 conversion in my sig I started out with an open port 50mm Gilardoni P&C.....that was way better than the stock 61 P&C......then I ported that and it was better still....then I went with the Mahle 268XP closed port setup , ported and squish brought down to 0.020"......should have done that in the first place!! The Gilardoni was a beautiful and very well made cyl and would have lasted for ever but just can't develop the power of the closed port Mahle. You want more power you could install a 630 top end and intake....or a 670 top end.....but personally I wouldn't bother trying to get much more out of the 625 in it's stock form. Good tough saw the way it is....

I would think the handles would get uncomfortably hot by the time the switch melted!!!! There is no regulator in these systems.....the harder and longer you run the saw the hotter the handles get. The 521E and the 910EV are the only Jonsereds I've seen with two heat settings. I know if I'm just starting out I use "2" but if I'm cutting in a large pile it's not long before it goes back on "1" or off. "2" is just to much heat at sustained high RPM..

The heat seems like a good idea and the ex-logger was talking about the 910EV which he used extensively. I logged down to below 0F in the Rocky Mountains.....honestly when you're moving around working like that, your hands are fine except for early mornings. I never wore more than cotton knit gloves yr 'round........'course I was a tad younger then....lol!

Kevin

My 820 has 2 heat settings as well, not sure but it might share the same elusive switch as the 521.

Do we even know for sure how many models J’reds offered in heated handles? And was it factory only or did Tilton have a hand in it as well?

Kevin

Don't know how many models had it but the ones that come to mind are the 521E, 451EV, 630V, 910EV and now the 820V......that's all I know of off hand.

Latest posts

Back