Jonsered Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It was factory. Heated handles are BIG in Scandinavia.

Lol...that's because it gets colder than phuck there!

I think Tilton Equipment started in Minnestoa.....so my guess is that a lot of heated handle J'reds were sold/distributed through there. I question how many were actually sold through Tilton of Portland, OR. But in all honesty, I've only really paid attention to the larger cc saws of that era.

Kevin

Here is the list of saws I know were offered, maybe not everywhere, but were offered somewhere with electrically heated handles. Others were offered with the exhaust heat system. Here they are in no particular order:

2253 2260 2172 2186 2171 2159 2156 2152 2149 2153 420 425 435 630 670 920 820 930 830 910E 2055 2051 2095 2094 2071 2063 2163 45EV 451EV 521E

Tell me more about the exhaust heated handle option please.

I know McCulloch offered a few models with a duct over the muffler to pre-heat the air into the airbox. They even had special air filters of fine brass mesh to deal with the heat but never a heated handle that I am aware the.

I guess that's the difference between manufacturing in Southern California or Scandinavia.

Mark

Tell me more about the exhaust heated handle option please.

I know McCulloch offered a few models with a duct over the muffler to pre-heat the air into the airbox. They even had special air filters of fine brass mesh to deal with the heat but never a heated handle that I am aware the.

I guess that's the difference between manufacturing in Southern California or Scandinavia.

Mark

It was not a good idea......the metering valve on the muffler would almost immediately crud up with carbon and the exhaust was routed through rubber hoses....just a feeble attempt.

Thanks Robin - There seemed to be a lot of innovation in times gone by. With our view from today they seem silly but understanding the time and level of technology they were solid attempts at solving a problem with what they had to work with.

The earliest automatic chain oiler from McCulloch involved scavaging residue from the crankcase and directing it towards the chain...required running a 10:1 mix.

Mark

There have been a lot of "innovations" since the 80's, which was for me, when balls-to-the wall chainsaws reined supreme. But except for weight, I don 't see the 'modern' saws shaming the older ported saws. Quite the contrary....torque with decent RPMs always wins unless you're just cutting/limbing small stuff all day. J'reds were usually great saws even as they morphed into Huskies. They had some dogs after Electolux Group AB bought them and released a 'new' model line......but they didn't stay junk for very long. Then it was like Chevy versus GMC....basically the same saw with some novel refinement differences.

Kevin

A while back I mentioned this CE670W

Today the neighbor who was gonna fix it came and got me cause he had boiled the carb and put a kit in it. Still no fire in the hole. Long storey short here was the problem.

Sad day! The saw had very low hours. You can see how clean and shiney the rest of it was... Waiting to hear what the owner wants done. My thoughts a 52mm pop-up rebuild...

Thanks Robin - There seemed to be a lot of innovation in times gone by. With our view from today they seem silly but understanding the time and level of technology they were solid attempts at solving a problem with what they had to work with.

The earliest automatic chain oiler from McCulloch involved scavaging residue from the crankcase and directing it towards the chain...required running a 10:1 mix.

Mark
I have one of those MACs.. When the 30 weight smoke cleared, MAC came out with a kit that was routed up and around and through to where the handle was and the oil pusher mounted close. I'd have to look. Beer a few years since I've run it. I got older and it got heavier.. Quick question.. Anybody put a comp release on a Jred 2094? With success? Again, it's that age thing.. Love the saw.. Hate starting it.

Ok, I moved from Italy to San Antonio. All the saws came with me, of course.

Figured I would share some pics with you guys now that I'm sort of unpacked.

That's 110, 111, and 111S on the bottom left. Up from there is an 80 and 90, and then 621's up top. Next shelf over has 10 XF's and then a few 601's up top.

Starting at the bottom, we have XB's and XD's, then an XG, followed by XH's with some 60/601's up top.

A while back I mentioned this CE670W

Today the neighbor who was gonna fix it came and got me cause he had boiled the carb and put a kit in it. Still no fire in the hole. Long storey short here was the problem.

Sad day! The saw had very low hours. You can see how clean and shiney the rest of it was... Waiting to hear what the owner wants done. My thoughts a 52mm pop-up rebuild...

What was the cause...a piece of coke or a ring fragment? What did the top of the piston look like?

Kevin

Piston top looked like new. As did the cylinder aside from the scoring which gouged at the top. There was a dimple from a piston stop but that was all. If it rains all week I will get over there and pressure test the case. He decided to go with a used cylinder and piston which just got here today. We have extra rings on hand so that's as far as we will go.

My best guess is old gas or it was tuned for 40:1 synthetic and got some old weed whip gas ECT... CE recommends their synthetic oil at 100:1 its entirely possible someone miss understood and mixed dino at that rate.

It was a FD auction saw the owner borrowed a saw from the current owner and burnt it up. Gave him this one running but not running good. (Go figure).

He works with my nieghbor at the dnr where they had managed to start it but to would not stay running. They assumed it was the carb being in need of a cleaning and kit...

Piston top looked like new. As did the cylinder aside from the scoring which gouged at the top. There was a dimple from a piston stop but that was all. If it rains all week I will get over there and pressure test the case. He decided to go with a used cylinder and piston which just got here today. We have extra rings on hand so that's as far as we will go.

My best guess is old gas or it was tuned for 40:1 synthetic and got some old weed whip gas ECT... CE recommends their synthetic oil at 100:1 its entirely possible someone miss understood and mixed dino at that rate.

It was a FD auction saw the owner borrowed a saw from the current owner and burnt it up. Gave him this one running but not running good. (Go figure).

He works with my nieghbor at the dnr where they had managed to start it but to would not stay running. They assumed it was the carb being in need of a cleaning and kit...
I was hoping to try the new HyWay H272 piston & cylinder on this... Maybe sometime I can find a clean 625II on the cheap for that.

It corroded the very bottom to some extend and the bottom of the recoil guard.

Ya think??? The word 'holes' comes to mind...lol!

Insane that a saw that rough can bring that amount of $$. Hounds indeed, more like shark feeding frenzy........

Very sad....doubtful anyone has enough extra 111S parts to make this particular saw run again......or would want to at that price. No compression too...could be broken rings or a lot worse.

Kevin

Very sad....doubtful anyone has enough extra 111S parts to make this particular saw run again......or would want to. No compression too...could be broken rings or a lot worse.

Well, I for one do. I have a few spare jugs and pistons if it needs that.

But I agree that this really is a parts saw. And I'd love to have it -- I have a 111S that needs a crank/rod assembly. And an air cleaner cover.

But I'm still balking at the price; that's a lot of coin for a parts saw.

Latest posts

Back