Jonsered Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks great! Is that fresh paint or just clean-up? looks like the generator coils for heated handles.

I can't tell you about the fuel line diameters. Whenever I need fuel line, I just take pieces down to the Honda outdoor dealer and buy whatever he has.

Kevin

Looks great! Is that fresh paint or just clean-up? looks like the generator coils for heated handles.

I can't tell you about the fuel line diameters. Whenever I need fuel line, I just take pieces down to the Honda outdoor dealer and buy whatever he has.

Kevin
No fresh paint, just a thorough cleaning, a newly painted muffler, and a new cylinder, and a sparkly carburetor.

Your eyes don't deceive you, that is the stator for the heated handles. Once I get the fuel tank all straightened out I'll mount the cylinder.

I have some echo 3x6 and 3x5 lines, I stupidly didn't save any pieces of the old lines.

No fresh paint, just a thorough cleaning, a newly painted muffler, and a new cylinder, and a sparkly carburetor.

Your eyes don't deceive you, that is the stator for the heated handles. Once I get the fuel tank all straightened out I'll mount the cylinder.

I have some echo 3x6 and 3x5 lines, I stupidly didn't save any pieces of the old lines.
Yeah, depending on the hrs, sometimes they clean up great!

Rich Dougan was saying in a recent vid that he thinks the present Hyway P&C's are very good quality. My original idea was that Meteor merging with Hyway would drag Meteor's quality down. Maybe the exact opposite happened and Hyway is good product now?

Kevin

Yeah, depending on the hrs, sometimes they clean up great!

Rich Dougan was saying in a recent vid that he thinks the present Hyway P&C's are very good quality. My original idea was that Meteor merging with Hyway would drag Meteor's quality down. Maybe the exact opposite happened and Hyway is good product now?

Kevin
Hey Kevin.........check out this thread on something I encountered this past Feb......I know it's a Husky saw but does pertain to WTH is going on with Meteor......I have literally used dozens of Meteor pistons over the years and this is the first time I ever had an issue with the quality.

https://www.arboristsite.com/threads/piston-question.365601/

Hey Kevin.........check out this thread on something I encountered this past Feb......I know it's a Husky saw but does pertain to WTH is going on with Meteor......I have literally used dozens of Meteor pistons over the years and this is the first time I ever had an issue with the quality.

https://www.arboristsite.com/threads/piston-question.365601/
Robin.
Read the thread, thanks for the link. Guy on YouTube said that Meteor and Hyway never merged as was spread on the Internet. Doesn't really matter though if Meteor is letting work come from China or wherever now and there are problems.

I've heard that Duke guy mentioned before......I think in reference as a source for Husky 2100 P&Cs that are decent quality. Does he have some kinda real business selling P&Cs?

Kevin

I've heard that Duke guy mentioned before......I think in reference as a source for Husky 2100 P&Cs that are decent quality. Does he have some kinda real business selling P&Cs?

Kevin
https://www.sawsalvage.co
Cris Therioff (spelling?) is his name & is located in PA. I've bought some used parts in the past, but can't comment on the P&C's that he sells, but he has had a few NLA parts remade & heard good things and them.

Robin.
Read the thread, thanks for the link. Guy on YouTube said that Meteor and Hyway never merged as was spread on the Internet. Doesn't really matter though if Meteor is letting work come from China or wherever now and there are problems.

Kevin

https://www.sawsalvage.co
Cris Therioff (spelling?) is his name & is located in PA. I've bought some used parts in the past, but can't comment on the P&C's that he sells, but he has had a few NLA parts remade & heard good things and them.
I've purchased a bunch of things from him in the past several months. He does good business.

I've purchased a bunch of things from him in the past several months. He does good business.
Good to know. I don't expect to pay bottom dollar when looking for things like P&Cs.....just reliable quality. OE P&Cs for the Husky 2100 were going for over $300....that's slightly insane.

Producing OE quality P&Cs isn't rocket science...just takes tight tolerances and somebody who gives a s***.

Kevin

Good to know. I don't expect to pay bottom dollar when looking for things like P&Cs.....just reliable quality. OE P&Cs for the Husky 2100 were going for over $300....that's slightly insane.

Producing OE quality P&Cs isn't rocket science...just takes tight tolerances and somebody who gives a s***.

Kevin
Full disclosure, I never bought a P+C from him. But I've probably made five purchases that went smooth, even when I ordered the wrong size piston rings (due to his ebay store vs. His website differences in descriptions) for my MS462 project, he sent the correct size asap free of charge, A+ customer service.

I have a gasket question. I know you guys have nothing better to do, on a Sunday Mother's Day no less, and have been impatiently waiting for this.

The cylinder gasket for the Jred 451 is NLA, but some months ago I was able to find it on Lil Red Barn, but last week when I went to fit it onto my cylinder it didn't fit too well. I couldn't get it to slide past a lip on the OD of the cylinder bore.
So I went internet sleuthing and found that Husqvarna brush cutters must have used the same cylinder, and the base gasket was VERY similar to the 451 gasket, so I ordered one.

For comparison brush cutter gasket on top, 451 on the bottom.
IMG20230514083129.jpg
And here they are superimposed.
IMG20230514082834.jpg
The difference of ID of the bore gasket edge is a milliliter or two off, but just enough that I feel it wouldn't sit flush.There's a subtle difference in the gasket shape, with the brush cutter gasket being square, whereas the 451 is slightly rounded, which matches the slightly rounded mating surface of the cylinder.
IMG20230514083115.jpg
For what it's worth, here is the crankcase mating surface.
IMG20230514082541.jpg
So if you placed the brush cutter gasket, it would overhang somewhat on the right side, while fitting exactly on the left.

The material the brush cutter gasket is made out of, whatever it is, is much higher quality, nice and pliable, and slightly thinner than the paper one from Lil Red Barn.

So my question, after than long winded introduction. Should I use the brush cutter gasket here or try to make the Lil Red Barn 451 gasket fit?

Attachments

• IMG20230514082834.jpg
    IMG20230514082834.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 0
It was thin paper. When I measured the thickness the difference was small, in the range of 0.05 mm.
Yeah stock they are usually about 0.007” once tightened. If the gasket you use is thicker than that it will be fine. But the thinner the better as far as performance/compression is concerned.

This was posted on YouTube in reference to Hyway pistons:
Hyway and Meteor cylinders are cast in the same plant in Taiwan, but Meteor finishes them in Italy. Hyway and Meteor both produce their own pistons. There are people that use Hyway with great success in chainsaws. I personally have not used Meteor or Hyway cylinders, but I have used a few Meteor pistons and they seem to be good. I have even used Lil'Red Barn pistons with great success.

Maybe, but if you try to corner someone @Lil'Red Barn about where stuff is made, they get downright hostile/defensive.

Kevin

Back