Jonsered Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cantdog, you really should be writing this stuff down, on paper, so if/when this site goes belly up, its still around for those who care.
I swear, the knowledge of some on here amazes and scares me at the same time.

The domed recoil screen on 801 and 90 came in after serial # 160001. That screen is also used on the 66E and 70E recoils as well. Prior to #160001 the 801 and 90 had the flat screen like the 80 which never changed screen styles.

What I've noticed about the flatter recoil screen is that it dents easily. I'm not even sure how I'm doing it. I replaced my old one with a near pristine one and it now has dents. I don't throw my saws around or pile stuff on them. Obviously I'm doing it, but now sure how.:msp_confused: I had no idea they used the dome model on other saws like the 70E.:msp_huh: Agree...you should somehow write all this stuff down. You seem to know more about Jonsereds models than anyone else.:rock:

Kevin

What I've noticed about the flatter recoil screen is that it dents easily. I'm not even sure how I'm doing it. I replaced my old one with a near pristine one and it now has dents. I don't throw my saws around or pile stuff on them. Obviously I'm doing it, but now sure how.:msp_confused: I had no idea they used the dome model on other saws like the 70E.:msp_huh: Agree...you should somehow write all this stuff down. You seem to know more about Jonsereds models than anyone else.:rock:

Kevin

LOL...No I just talk more!! HAHA!! But really a lot of what I know of these saws is from owning them and having a pile of old IPLS from this time period. The rest has been learned from folks on here like Niko, PB, Spike60, bama, Taplinhill etc. A lot of what I have to offer is simply passsing on info I have learned from these guys combined with my own experience....for instance I know a lot about these old saws but really very little about the more modern ones....yet!!!

LOL...No I just talk more!! HAHA!! But really a lot of what I know of these saws is from owning them and having a pile of old IPLS from this time period. The rest has been learned from folks on here like Niko, PB, Spike60, bama, Taplinhill etc. A lot of what I have to offer is simply passsing on info I have learned from these guys combined with my own experience....for instance I know a lot about these old saws but really very little about the more modern ones....yet!!!

LOL....I know nothing about the modern ones! And nothing about the smaller, home owner/firewood gatherer type saws.:msp_unsure: That's the trouble with the old commercial 'muscle' saws, they last forever. The only reason I even have anything as small as the 80 is that it was bought for an occasional back-up saw in smaller timber or, if I needed to grab something with a sharp chain (rather than sharpen the big saw). You guys are invaluable because of the parts/model interchanges....this is the part of the puzzle that really keeps the old saws running. I was having trouble getting factory parts for my 80 in the mid 80's. In fact the guy who sold me new AV mounts back then said I'll never find one particular mount again-the one that goes where the full-wrap handle bar terminates to the saw under the chain.

I never got into collecting saws...way too many other hobbies, although I can see where the fun lies. Now, ebay madness is pricing saws to the moon, so the only way one can get effectively into this hobby is through barn/garage sales etc. I'd feel a lot better about pushing these old saw hard if I had a pile of parts and/or saw carcasses. :msp_thumbup:

Kevin

LOL....I know nothing about the modern ones! And nothing about the smaller, home owner/firewood gatherer type saws.:msp_unsure: That's the trouble with the old commercial 'muscle' saws, they last forever. The only reason I even have anything as small as the 80 is that it was bought for an occasional back-up saw in smaller timber or, if I needed to grab something with a sharp chain (rather than sharpen the big saw). You guys are invaluable because of the parts/model interchanges....this is the part of the puzzle that really keeps the old saws running. I was having trouble getting factory parts for my 80 in the mid 80's. In fact the guy who sold me new AV mounts back then said I'll never find one particular mount again-the one that goes where the full-wrap handle bar terminates to the saw under the chain.

I never got into collecting saws...way too many other hobbies, although I can see where the fun lies. Now, ebay madness is pricing saws to the moon, so the only way one can get effectively into this hobby is through barn/garage sales etc. I'd feel a lot better about pushing these old saw hard if I had a pile of parts and/or saw carcasses. :msp_thumbup:

Kevin

Well neither did I until I found this site!! I had 2 saws when I joined. Though I always had Jonsereds they were a mere tool to an end. I always took good care of them but not like I do now!! The really big saws are very rare around here...the 80 being about as big as you usually would see..

Well neither did I until I found this site!! I had 2 saws when I joined. Though I always had Jonsereds they were a mere tool to an end. I always took good care of them but not like I do now!! The really big saws are very rare around here...the 80 being about as big as you usually would see..

Interesting because the guy I get Jonsereds parts from is up your way. I always assumed there were a lot of those saws sold there? But yeah, the large ones like the 111S were probably sold the most here (I'm going by supposed numbers here...never saw one in the woods). When their turbos saws came out, I'd started to see them on the timber sales in CO. I quit after that, so I'm not sure of their presence in the woods of the PNW. Basically when I was loggin' in the PNW, it was Husky or Stihl...period. None of the younger fallers like me were fooling around with older saws like McCulloch etc....you got a new saw every yr and made your current saw your back-up at the end of the season or beginning of the next...just the way it was. Companies like Bailey's were just pushing the two marques as well to the loggers here. It's a shame too, because McCulloch were king here. And just like Harley Davidson, they let the foreign stuff come in and thrash them. That was stupid on their part I think....we didn't want to buy foreign then, but they performed well and lasted reasonably well. Probably though, the home owner market is incredibly more lucrative than loggin' saws. Still, since they started in the woods, they should have kept that line going even if they lost money-the owner bought the London Bridge for Chis' sake. Home owners love to pretend that they're holding the same saw that a logger might-great PR even if it's BS.:msp_tongue:

Kevin

There were a pile of Jonsereds sold around here in the 70's...49sp's 52/52E's, 621's 70E's and 80's depending on the cutting...mostly pulp and some saw logs back then. Then as the co was going heels up they came out with the 5XX series saws which pulpers bought thinking they were the same as the older versions...which they were not. Truck loads of these burnt up on comercial crews as well as single lot cutters. The cutters up this way are similar to a school of fish..a couple get eaten and the whole school goes in a different direction. As a herd they went to Partners..Pioneers and eventualy Husky showed up and stole the show. Stihl didn't really make a splash here until perhaps the mid 90's. I grew up on Mac's Lombards and Homies but when the Jonsereds showed up they were in a world of their own.....light (relitively) fast, nimble and quiet..these saws quickly became the standard....they were expensive compared to others but the payback was nearly immedaite.....

There were a pile of Jonsereds sold around here in the 70's...49sp's 52/52E's, 621's 70E's and 80's depending on the cutting...mostly pulp and some saw logs back then. Then as the co was going heels up they came out with the 5XX series saws which pulpers bought thinking they were the same as the older versions...which they were not. Truck loads of these burnt up on comercial crews as well as single lot cutters. The cutters up this way are similar to a school of fish..a couple get eaten and the whole school goes in a different direction. As a herd they went to Partners..Pioneers and eventualy Husky showed up and stole the show. Stihl didn't really make a splash here until perhaps the mid 90's. I grew up on Mac's Lombards and Homies but when the Jonsereds showed up they were in a world of their own.....light (relitively) fast, nimble and quiet..these saws quickly became the standard....they were expensive compared to others but the payback was nearly immedaite.....

Cool....love to hear stories from the other side! That's really ironic....i don't recall the timeline exactly, but Stihl were already established here when the Huskies came around. But like you said 'fish" and so it may not have been a very long time. I was learning how to fall big timber with an 075, six ft bar and this old faller put a Husky 2100 in my hand and said, "Try that instead." I did and I never picked up a Stihl again. Not saying anything bad about Stihl, as they have their own rabid following. The power to weight ratio was better on the Husky and better AV system. And....I just got along with the saw better, as if we had found each other....happens all the time, same phenomena with cars.:cool2:

And you'd probably get a different story and choices if you talked to guys who worked timber up in Canada on this side during the same period.:msp_tongue: Like I said, Bailey's probably sold more Husky 2100 type saws to loggers than anyone in the country at the time. They were the go-to guys in the industry here and they knew it. Of course there were many shops modifying saws for loggers here...some of them became famous. I would have had mine done if I had stayed with the trade. All that said, the 80 has given me the least trouble of any saw I ever owned. Other than vapor lock when parked in the sun, it always performed. That's why I'd like to try something bigger in Jonsereds. The 90 conversion was the best I could come up with due to the scarcity of the 111S.....but that all fell through last yr....:msp_rolleyes:.

Kevin

Wish I knew the guy in Massachusetts that just bought a 111S. From my backyard.

Good deal, I think, for both parties involved. But not for me.:msp_sad:

Cutters Edge Jonsered 670 ventilation saw

Haven't bought a complete running saw from E Bay for a long time but I figured this one was worth taking a chance on. It was recently taken out of service by a Fire department and the nice Firewoman that help me when I picked it up commented on how they really liked 670 saws and that they were always reliable.

Anyways, I was hoping to come across a nice 670 for a long time and with this one basically being a West Coast version, it should fill the need pretty well.

Does any one know if the felling spikes were different on West Coast version. That's the one thing I need to convert it to a wood saw after giving it a good cleaning.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Hey 'Cutters Edge' Brother!!

Haven't bought a complete running saw from E Bay for a long time but I figured this one was worth taking a chance on. It was recently taken out of service by a Fire department and the nice Firewoman that help me when I picked it up commented on how they really liked 670 saws and that they were always reliable.

Anyways, I was hoping to come across a nice 670 for a long time and with this one basically being a West Coast version, it should fill the need pretty well.

Does any one know if the felling spikes were different on West Coast version. That's the one thing I need to convert it to a wood saw after giving it a good cleaning.

attachment.php

attachment.php

I had this exact same experience last year;

http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/177268.htm

My saw was as close to brand new as anything I've got. It had only been used by the fire equipment salesman for demos...........I got sooo lucky on getting this saw. Finally got the saw up and running about a week ago.......I'll be updating the thread(above link) with pictures and such. I put a carb kit in it, put spikes on it and modded the muffler. I'm really happy with the saw and look forward to using it. Mine has a bit longer bar/chain on it than what your's appears to have. The carbide tipped cutters on the blade are in like new shape.........how did your chain hold up as it looks like your saw might have actually been used for the design purpose by the fire department!???

newbie here,,, just got into the jonsered saw group... found a good price on a 2149 turbo ,, didn't know much about jonsereds but got it anyway. needed a good all around saw to use on my small farm here. boy was i suprised to find out how good of a saw it was. i never had a real saw before.. just an old homelite or 2.. but this thing cuts like a lazer compared to those things.
took it to work cleaned it up ,, cleaned the fuel line and tank, blew out the air filter,, fueled it up,, got the fuel back into the system, let it cool down till the next day, 2 pulls and she fires up......love it. its got a 18 bar on it now , but i am getting a 16 to use for now , just doing some trimming and prunning for now. it ought to scream with a 16 " chain on it.
i really like this saw,, they are not real popular around these parts. mostly stihl and huskys sold everwhere, but i found a couple of dealers close by and went to see one today,, older fella and really knew about jonsered. so parts (if needed) aint a problem.

here ia a pic of it after i got it cleaned up.. not bad its a 2000 model
View attachment 240272

terry m

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back