Jonsered Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It looks like the welsh plug was pried out with a sharp object and has been replaced. Don't know if it is leaking.

Symptom: saw starts, revs and dies as if it was turned off. Revs for 2-3 seconds only then cuts.

Oddly enough I also have a Husky with similar HDA carb and it is showing the same symptoms.

Getting a hate on for these carbs.

Is the plug dry or wet? If it's wet go after the main nozzle check valve.

I've had several different symptoms on that issue. Tunes OK but goes lean after a couple of seconds at full throttle. Can't be tuned on the high side. Runs best when it's puking fuel. The latest was on a Dolmar which started hard and then idled but cut out shortly after whether I was on the throttle or not.

Neighbors been gifted a jonsereds 52 (will have to confirm that) with a bent crankshaft on the pto side. Otherwise looks clean and deserves to be a runner again.

Assuming this is a points 52 does it have to be a 52 crank or would a 49 also work?

Hey y'all,

I've got some questions about interchange between the jred 600 family and husky 200 family and all the different intake setups. I've got a 630 runner and a 625 project/parts saw. Both are two piece ignition models.

So far as the 630 goes, is the 266xp cylinder a direct swap in? The 630 and 266 appear to use the same intake/carb/filter set up. Would one really notice a difference in 5ish cc? Are the 52mm "big bore" 266/630 kits offered by places like lil red Barn just 272 cylinders (and is there actually a difference with the 272xp cylinder)?

So far as the 625, is the 670 cylinder the only top end that shares the boot/external pulse set up? How does a 625 run with a 630 (for those of you that have run both)?

Sorry for the long and needy post and thanks in advance for any insight. Love my jred and am happy to be subbed to this thread.

Neighbors been gifted a jonsereds 52 (will have to confirm that) with a bent crankshaft on the pto side. Otherwise looks clean and deserves to be a runner again.

Assuming this is a points 52 does it have to be a 52 crank or would a 49 also work?

Yes 49 and 52/52E cranks are all the same part #

Thanks Robin. With some luck we can find a good one. His son would like to restore it for a 4H fair project. Should be doable.

Hey y'all,

I've got some questions about interchange between the jred 600 family and husky 200 family and all the different intake setups. I've got a 630 runner and a 625 project/parts saw. Both are two piece ignition models.

So far as the 630 goes, is the 266xp cylinder a direct swap in? The 630 and 266 appear to use the same intake/carb/filter set up. Would one really notice a difference in 5ish cc? Are the 52mm "big bore" 266/630 kits offered by places like lil red Barn just 272 cylinders (and is there actually a difference with the 272xp cylinder)?

So far as the 625, is the 670 cylinder the only top end that shares the boot/external pulse set up? How does a 625 run with a 630 (for those of you that have run both)?

Sorry for the long and needy post and thanks in advance for any insight. Love my jred and am happy to be subbed to this thread.

Welcome....I am not sure about the 266 to 630 swap.....the cyl will fit fine but if I recall the carb/intakes are different....what I mean is the carb will fit but the 630 uses a reverse bolt pattern than the 266.....the intake bolts to the cyl on the 630 with short bolts then the carb bolts to the intake so the short bolts are in the opposite position to the carb bolts.....on the 266 there are just one pair of long bolts the go through the air horn, carb and intake into the cyl. You just have to use the 266 intake and bolts with the 630 carb.

Yes the 525 and 670 are the only saw in the entire family that use a boot and external impulse line.

The 625 is the same as the 61 Husky with the exception of the intake and impulse. A good, solid, dependable saw. Even though the 625 and 630 are the same bore and stroke the 630 is much higher performance and will seriously out perform the 625 as far as power and speed goes.

Thanks Robin. With some luck we can find a good one. His son would like to restore it for a 4H fair project. Should be doable.
Shouldn't be to difficult.......if you can find one with good main bearings just go with that.....you have to pull the eccentric off the crank to get to the pto side main bearing...PITA....Generally I would replace the mains on any other saw if I had it that far apart but I would resist the temptation on these. It not undoable...I've done several but you need a small bearing puller and a bridge puller with grade 8 bolts and the pump eccentric needs to be put back in the same position to balance the crank the book says.

Cantdog, thanks for the info. I was basing the 266/630 interchange off of pictures of the intake ports on each cylinder which appears to be the same, but I have not seen a 266 first hand. Just changing the intake and bolts doesn't sound terrible, but not sure if all that is worth 5cc.

Maybe more worth it to look at 272 parts. Probably if I were to do a hacked up build, it would be this 625 as the 630 runs pretty well.

I generally only deal with logs in the 2 to 3 ft diameter range. Although the 630 puts in an admirable effort with a 2' bar, more power would be nice.

Cantdog, thanks for the info. I was basing the 266/630 interchange off of pictures of the intake ports on each cylinder which appears to be the same, but I have not seen a 266 first hand. Just changing the intake and bolts doesn't sound terrible, but not sure if all that is worth 5cc.

Maybe more worth it to look at 272 parts. Probably if I were to do a hacked up build, it would be this 625 as the 630 runs pretty well.

I generally only deal with logs in the 2 to 3 ft diameter range. Although the 630 puts in an admirable effort with a 2' bar, more power would be nice.

Yep...I hear ya there...5cc should not be underestimated in the saw world...it's really quite a bit....but you get into 3' wood, especially hardwood I would rather be 80CC or 90cc.....

I was impressed how well this 630 cut 32" elm. 80 or 90cc would be great, but $$$. I've got my eye on a 920 on ebay that may go relatively cheap.

Does a 670 feel much different than a 630? That's about 5cc, yeah?

I was impressed how well this 630 cut 32" elm. 80 or 90cc would be great, but $$$. I've got my eye on a 920 on ebay that may go relatively cheap.

Does a 670 feel much different than a 630? That's about 5cc, yeah?

Yeah 6 or 7cc Quite a jump in power...more noticeable with a longer bar......630 is happiest with an 18 or 20.....670 20-24 is good but will pull a bit longer. If you could find an old 80 that would work.....can usually find them fairly cheap....my 80's are serious saws....and much easier to keep running than the later 820/920 etc. etc. When all parts are NLA the simplest stuff works the longest. Points as opposed to specific electronic igns and the like....

Are the 80s related to the 90s? There's a 90 in the for sale section that looks cool.

I saw somewhere that the 920 used the 288 ignition (or at least they were a straight swap), so I guess that's probably about the only thing you can get for those old beasts.

The 80 & 90 are very closely related. So much so that a lot of people have put a 90 P&C on the 80. I use both on jobs but I have kind of a wild-ass 80 and a very stock 90. The 90 will definitely pull a bit harder...but not by much. The 90 has a different AF, AF cover, decomp, carb elbow and larger P&C. Logically in the order of things (90 came out yrs after 80) since the 90 looks like an 801, J'red's should have called the 90 a 901. Oh well, no sense crying over spilt milk....lol.

As far as the 900 series....most loggers I know in the PNW that bought them all, favored the 910 for its power to weight ratio. A lot of collectors think the 930 Super was the King Kong of that series but that does not bear out with the loggers I lknow who used them all- 910/920/930.

I used a 910 one day logging while my friend used my 80. I was horrified (needlessly) at all the use of plastics but the power to weight ratio of the saw was pretty amazing. BUT.....it didn't exactly thrash the 80 I had and force me to trot down to the dealer and buy one.

I have essentially two 910's waiting for me to complete. I can't wait to pit one against my 80 & 90.

Kevin

Hi all,

Thought I'd chime in with my little trio of Jonsereds.

IMG_20180602_180445.jpg

Up top is a 50 (or it started life as 50, anyway), $10 garage sale find, which had whipped crankcase bearings, so I swapped everything out on to a 52 crankcase.

Middle is a 521EV which I've had for about five years now and used every year to cut the firewood. Haven't even had to tune the carb in years.

Bottom is an 801, a more recent addition. Grabbed it for about $90 total (without bar or chain), it was partly picked over. Rebuilt the ignition, slapped a new oil pump in it, and it came to life like a champ (pulls over to about 190lbs).

IMG_20180624_122113.jpg

Here's a bonus. This little 49sp has been a recent project and has been sold to a co-worker. I rebuilt it from a parts saw that had been picked down nearly to crankcase, and had a trashed ignition coil. Couldn't find original 49sp parts for the ignition, so I dropped in the ignition system from a 52.

Got a 910 and a 920 at a swap meet, 910 just needed the worm gear off the 20 and a lot of tlc but great saw when I finished her up( one of my keepers for now), 920 parts saw I noticed has the same electronics as a 288, looked at the nameplate and it says Jonsereds which I think the S is for Singer CO. which might explain it and I believe the 910 doesn't have the S on it so must be before the buyout?
saw.JPG

Neat!!! LOL!! Nice collection!! Never heard of any one putting a 52 points ign in a 49sp but certainly doable.....and a way more robust ign!!! Nice going!!! Question.....did you have to cut the coil mounting towers off the 49 cyl to make room for the 52 coil in the recoil cover?

And way more available. Since the 49SP was such an odd duck, coils and points are not common, at least in my area.

I did consider cutting the arms off to fix the clearance issue, but I decided "hey, maybe some day I'll find a 49SP with a good coil but a whipped cylinder", so I just swapped it for a 44ZN7 and put the original away in the parts box.

Latest posts

Back