Jonsered wont pull?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just reread the whole thread.....

Your saw is hydro-locked!

When you pull the plug is it wet? When you pull the starter rope does liquid come out the spark plug hole? Does liquid come out of the muffler?

Two strokes WILL NOT run with liquid in the crank case much less turn over with liquid in the cylinder.

I'm sure if someone who knows engines took a look this would be an easy fix.

Suggest either the spark plug is hitting the piston or there is fuel in there causing to much compression..
aint no reason to turn over free with plug out and not with plug IN unless something is filling up the hole..
pull plug,turn it over 100 times real fast,put plug back in and see if it turns over..

did this and still the same.

should I be connecting the plug up and putting new fuel in?

edit: tried it with the plug connected and still nothing. I doubt adding fuel to the equation will be of any benefit.

Is my saw dead?

Last edited:
I have just removed the carb and all seems fine that end.

But it still wont pull with muffler and carb removed but with spark plug in.

When the spark plug is out it is fine.

The compression issue seems to be on the upward cycle, so this would suggest something maybe lodged in the upper region? It can't be fuel as I've pulled it so many times with an empty fuel tank, sat it upside down for 2 days etc.

How do I remove the cylinder? I understand it is 4 bolts, but I need some kind of attachment that must be long and thin enough to reach them? Suggestions?

I would have someone with engine experience take a look at it. Is there anyone close to this guy?

There may be something really obvious to a trained eye.

You shouldn't have to pull the cylinder........

A mate of mine has a 2051 that has the same problem! I'll be interested to see how this gets resolved so I can pass it on! :)

My first guess would be that it is sucking bar oil. Had an old Homie do that when the duckbill failed and broke the starter rope several times until we figured it out.

Try draining the bar oil tank, pull plug pull with plug out 20 or more times to clear out excess.

My first guess would be that it is sucking bar oil. Had an old Homie do that when the duckbill failed and broke the starter rope several times until we figured it out.

Try draining the bar oil tank, pull plug pull with plug out 20 or more times to clear out excess.

how would that happen?

surely by me tipping it upside down for two days I'd see something?

how would that happen?

surely by me tipping it upside down for two days I'd see something?

i have the same problem with my husky 266xp, it sat for a few years i got it running but its so hard to get it started so hard to pull but easy with the plug removed, i havent tried draining the case yet though.

for experimental purposes I got my husky out and tried turning that by hand/socket and I could feel similar resistance.

I then thought I'd swap the starter rope over to rule that out. Except the husky rope snapped before I even fitted it lol.

Two new ropes on order so will report back. 4mm rope okay?

4mm is equ to 5/32 rope as long as it is a good quality rope it shoud be ok,
did you try a compression gauge to see what compression you got ?

rusty s

well the 4mm was too thick, so will be getting some 3mm

no idea on compression, not much point if I can't give it a full pull anyway

well I fitted a new rope of the correct size and also fitted a new recoil spring.

but still the same.

I'm guessing I'll have to sell as spares/repairs unless anyone else can offer help?

Alright I'll throw my hat in the ring too. LOL!!!

You need to pull the cyl off and look at the piston and ring closely. There only two plausable reasons for this to be happening only when the sparkplug (that is not hitting the piston) is installed; First either you are to wimpy to pull over a poor old 535 with the plug in.................OR second you may in fact have a broken ring, a part of which, may be moving out under compression pressure and hanging up in a transfer port or something of the sort. I'd pull the cyl and have a look see. BTW you should not start and run a saw without the B&C installed as it is very easy to over rev the motor without any load. Causing Damage.....Good luck...:cheers:

Back