• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Arborsist Site and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Judging interest (stihl hardware kit)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
pretty sure I had them rolled up in a milk crate, did they end up being for ripping or just big loops, just curious :)

I am in FL right now, but my memory tells me that one was Homelite and the other was Pioneer branded chain. I will check when I get home next year. The chain I got from you is in the lower boxes.

image.jpg

I like it, I would like to do this myself if I had more time and knowledge, but have only bought a few, and I'm tried of buying 2 dollar screws from stihl.

Great idea Dave...don't take the suggestion of people sending containers ect it would be a logistical nightmare!! If they dont like the container you choose they can put it in their jewelery box if they want. KISS (keep it simple stupid)!! We are talking about a plastic container that costs a couple of bucks and are availible everywhere. lt is what Dave puts in it that matters. You can put me down for a kit and add it to my parts order we are working on.

I would be interested in a kit, and I would deffentally in for a husky kit.
Just a thought would about a m5 Time Sert, Ive used a plenty lately anyhow repairing husky case or maybe King sert kits, maybe it too expensive to carry and have sitting on self?? Cheapest I've found a kit is $70 its the tools and 5 inserts m5x.8 inserts are 7.6mm long zinc coated steel, Refill inserts are $1.62 ea for steel and $2.65 ea for stainless. varing length

I'd say the commercial kit would be the bin but this could be a non advertised option for the in the know crowd. Also people are going to want refills. I'd burn through that many screws for huskys in a year, Stihls probably a bit longer since I build 20:1 husky to stihl.

help a husknewb out, what fasteners are needed for Husqvarnas that aren't just common stuff you get as Fastenal, I am not against the other orange, just never worked on one successfully and they are outsold 20:1 around here because dealer support is sh1tty. The manager of the local Husq place is a long time friend but it takes them 2 weeks to get anything. It took me 10 days to get an oil cap for a modern saw that they had sitting on the showroom floor.

I bought a timecert kit with tools but have never used it yet.

If there are parts for any brand of saw that folks need I can do research to try to find them. Just at this point the manufacturer (not dealer) in China I deal with is making a lot of the T27 screws I have been overpaying for at my dealer.
thanks for everyones input
DDave

I have a friend that is in the fastener business and curiously he said they are sourcing a lot of their stuff now from Vietnam and a couple other places and less from China. They deal with specialty fasteners primarily used by manufacturers for assemblies. I can probably get anything I want from him as long as I need a million or so of them. lol.

Seems like the thread-sert kits are more prone to husky's,I don't know why but just seems to go that why?? Lately I've working on a lot of the 2 series of husky's. I think out of everything I've bought for saw repair its a toss up between the m5 thread-sert kit and maybe a good tach as far as must have tools for saw repair. At least that's my .02

Really like this idea Dave !!
Putting this 440 together was so much easier than the 361 , cause you sent me all the screws I needed ! I dug for 2 days just finding screws to build that 361 !
Didn't think to do a thread on the 440 over here , may just do that ! Anyone else do a thread on the 440 crankcases you sent out over here ?

help a husknewb out, what fasteners are needed for Husqvarnas that aren't just common stuff you get as Fastenal, I am not against the other orange, just never worked on one successfully and they are outsold 20:1 around here because dealer support is sh1tty. The manager of the local Husq place is a long time friend but it takes them 2 weeks to get anything. It took me 10 days to get an oil cap for a modern saw that they had sitting on the showroom floor.

I bought a timecert kit with tools but have never used it yet.

If there are parts for any brand of saw that folks need I can do research to try to find them. Just at this point the manufacturer (not dealer) in China I deal with is making a lot of the T27 screws I have been overpaying for at my dealer.
thanks for everyones input
DDave

I can measure up some of the most common ones needed and send you the lengths and some pictures.

At least initially I would do a Stihl box, because I order and use/sell them by the thousands already, but a lot of saw guys don't want to buy screws in bags of 500 :)

of course those little bastard clamshells have to have their own hardware :) I will look into it. Should be getting the M6 muffler bolts and cylinder bolts in soon as well.

I just got tired of spending $1-3 per fastener, just silly IMHO.

I could go really crazy and include carb kits and fuel lines and oil seals and all four bearings and Caber ring sets and Loctite 518 and scotchbrite and mandrels and lions and tigers and bears oh my.....

Seriously I appreciate the input, a bigger box is what I use for my fasteners in the shop, but I want to make sure it ships economically too, cost is cost and you never know what something is worth till you know what it REALLY costs, unless it's priceless and I am pretty sure dufus dave saw parts aint priceless :)

P.S. if anybody needs about 500 chain break handle bolts, I may have accidentally ordered 1000 of a bolt that I need one of per saw :(
You could offer the kit in a few different sets as already suggested with a super deluxe kit a builders kits an overhaul kit or rebuild kit and like a field kit with all the normal stuff you might service in the field. You may do some looking and find an online outlet for the clear cases that will sell them cheap in bulk or something. And maybe even an assortment of sizes for different stuff. Great idea make one for the Husky
2xx series saws and I'll buy one. Another idea would be ship in sealed parts baggies and let people supply their own Damn container if they don't like your containers.

might want to go more "homeowner ebay type" market and make a complete kit by model...I'd start with....Stihl MS 290 and package every nut and bolt needed for that saw with a locator for the monkey homeowner too.
awesome Idea...I was at a fastenal store the other day trying to locate the decomp plug in a less then $4 per price range

might want to go more "homeowner ebay type" market and make a complete kit by model...I'd start with....Stihl MS 290 and package every nut and bolt needed for that saw with a locator for the monkey homeowner too.
awesome Idea...I was at a fastenal store the other day trying to locate the decomp plug in a less then $4 per price range
homeowners can already buy from me on Ebay where everyone thinks free shipping is free (instead of built into the cost), the store is more for builders and enthusiasts who are gonna stick everything they need in the cart, compare the total to Ebay and do a little dance at how easily / inexpensively they can get the next project done. The decomp plug is $1 :) granted that is $7 with shipping if you don't need anything else, so the Ebay store is cheaper, but honestly it is impossible to sell anything on Ebay with shipping for less than about $5.50
For me personally when I am rebuilding a saw I love being able to grab the right fastener and use it without running it through the ultrasonic cleaner first, no stripped heads, buggered up threads, lets me do what I enjoy with a little less hassle.
DDave

I build a lot of 1127 series saws which covers the 029, 029Super, 039, MS290, MS310 and MS390. That group of saws makes up by far the most commonly sold saws by Stihl. I disassemble saws, throw the parts in a sorting tray, and then build saws out of my assortment. (I often use ice cube trays if I'm tearing down and building up a saw all at once)
Anyway, other than the three kinds of screws, a few commonly needed pieces are fuel vents, the little metal cups for the brake handle attach (on the starter cover), chain brake hardware (clips, washers,springs, bushings, etc) muffler bolts, nuts, washers, gaskets, carb nuts, the little metal grommet that goes in the carb boot (those get bent up easily), carb limiter plugs (sometimes these get destroyed trying to pull them), the plastic chain guides (common to many models), and the hoses (often these come with engine kits but oiler hoses, fuel hoses and impulse hoses) I have received lots of kits with an oil hose that doesn't fit any 1127 series saws, not sure what it's for. (it's a 90 degree angle)
I did take some pics today and will post them tonight.
Another thought, if you were making up specific kits and could acquire manuals, IPLs, etc. That would be useful for the home builder to include in the kit. (maybe copywrite issues though)

I build a lot of 1127 series saws which covers the 029, 029Super, 039, MS290, MS310 and MS390. That group of saws makes up by far the most commonly sold saws by Stihl. I disassemble saws, throw the parts in a sorting tray, and then build saws out of my assortment. (I often use ice cube trays if I'm tearing down and building up a saw all at once)
Anyway, other than the three kinds of screws, a few commonly needed pieces are fuel vents, the little metal cups for the brake handle attach (on the starter cover), chain brake hardware (clips, washers,springs, bushings, etc) muffler bolts, nuts, washers, gaskets, carb nuts, the little metal grommet that goes in the carb boot (those get bent up easily), carb limiter plugs (sometimes these get destroyed trying to pull them), the plastic chain guides (common to many models), and the hoses (often these come with engine kits but oiler hoses, fuel hoses and impulse hoses) I have received lots of kits with an oil hose that doesn't fit any 1127 series saws, not sure what it's for. (it's a 90 degree angle)
I did take some pics today and will post them tonight.
Another thought, if you were making up specific kits and could acquire manuals, IPLs, etc. That would be useful for the home builder to include in the kit. (maybe copywrite issues though)

I use egg crates/holders instead of ice cube trays. Cheaper, you can toss em when dirty and has a "cover" too.

I think Dave would sell a lot of these kits. Everyone knows how frustrating buying a few screws can be from a dealer. When Randy from weedeaterman offered a basic chainsaw repair kit l got one and it has helped me rebuild and fix many saws. lt was a case splitter, Wiha German hand tools(about 12 wiha basics), compression tester, spark tester. It was under a hundred bucks and l use the tools weekly at least. A saw fastener kit designed by a member with CAD...its a must have lMO.

Back