Just Bought a 361 - Should I Upgrade to 441?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi everyone,
I'm new here but have been doing some research over the past week and this site has helped me tremendously. My first saw was a 290 with too much bar - 20." It was a company expense that my business partner purchased quickly because we needed "a chainsaw" that day.

My wife and I just put in a new fireplace insert and because of it, we've had the gas central heat off for almost two weeks. I'm very happy with it's performance so far. Since I need to put away wood for next year (if the fields ever dry out and I can get to it), I decided to buy myself a new saw that'll get some work done. I figure I'll have to put about 4 - 5 cords away for next year - anything more than that will have me prepared for the following year.

I went to my Stihl dealer just down the road which I've bought a fair amount of equipment from with thoughts of a 441. After doing some research, and a little soul searching, I decided I didn't have to go overkill ALL the time, and that a 361 with a 20" bar would indeed be a fine all around firewood saw and save us a couple hundred bucks.

I don't know if it's the Tim Allen in me or what, but I'm wondering if I should look into the the 7 day guarantee and the possibility of a moving up to a 441 or even a 460? At 32 years old, I'm 6'1" and 200lbs - what do you guys think my best bet is? This is firewood - whatever I can get my hands on that's suitable for burning.

FYI - We don't have any Jonsered dealers around and my Husky dealer isn't close. I'm pretty happy with Stihl and going to stick with them.

Thanks for all the info thus far, this is really a great site!
Kevin

If you only had one saw and only cut firewood, you would have many warm winter nights just owning the 361.

That said...

I don't see where you are going to notice any difference in a firewood situation between a 290 and 361. It's a 56.5 cc saw vs a 59 cc saw; the only difference is a little bit of weight. One of those two saws is going to collect a lot of dust. If you aren't going to go any bigger than the 361, then just get your money back and buy a bunch of RSC chains.

I would buy one size bigger (actually, I did) so you can power through the occasional larger round with a 25" bar. I spent quite a bit of time at the dealership holding the 361 in one hand and the 441 in the other. Put em down, switched hands and repeated. I didn't notice much difference just holding them, but you definitely will in the cut. The 441 is smooth, powerful and runs longer on a tank of fuel than the 361. Type in '441' into the search box above, grab a brew and start reading; you'll be waiting for the door to open tomorrow to trade that 361 in on a 441.

With the 361 as your primary fire wood saw and it sounds like a new one I would look for a used 70cc saw. Get a 25 inch bar with skip chain to hold you over Intel you get a 70cc saw. I would sell the 290 and save some funds for the right saw to come along.

If that was the case I'd have a 36" bar on the 660 and just cut twice the wood. I right at 6'3" and 235-240lbs and have two discsectomies on the L-4/L5 area. My back will take the 361 a heck of a lot longer than whiiping the 660 around like a firewood saw. The 660/ big saws shines when bucking up BIG wood in a landing area, falling big trees or running a long bar to chunk up big pieces 30" + into ones that can be lifted on the splitter. I can't tell a lot of difference when you get to the 441/460/660 in weight. With some of the mentality about bigs saws it's hard to see how Homelite sold any of those XL-12's, Stihl sold any 031/032, Mac any 10-10's. I guess tens of thousands just had a few rose bushes to prune.lol

You are right, and no, I did not cut more wood with the big 660, but the wood I did cut was done much easier, and "easier" is the key to me when
handling any piece of equipment, and balance is everything. To me, the weight difference is not the issue, it's the right tool for the right job, and
if you notice, my favorite saw is a little peeky MS180, and the market for
for saw sales is huge for smaller saws for the very reason you listed.I play
an upright bass for a living, mostly bluegrass and rock, but I use an electric
bass too, different sizes for different reasons.I have a seven piece set of
Ludwig drums that I use mostly, but ther are plenty of shows that I do with
just a four piece set, and tools to me fit the same catagories.

If that was the case I'd have a 36" bar on the 660 and just cut twice the wood. I right at 6'3" and 235-240lbs and have two discsectomies on the L-4/L5 area. My back will take the 361 a heck of a lot longer than whiiping the 660 around like a firewood saw. The 660/ big saws shines when bucking up BIG wood in a landing area, falling big trees or running a long bar to chunk up big pieces 30" + into ones that can be lifted on the splitter. I can't tell a lot of difference when you get to the 441/460/660 in weight. With some of the mentality about bigs saws it's hard to see how Homelite sold any of those XL-12's, Stihl sold any 031/032, Mac any 10-10's. I guess tens of thousands just had a few rose bushes to prune.lol

He was packing a good setup for that wood, 24 with a 440. There is a point to the long bar being benefitial. Anything over 32" is for big wood, big wood on the stump. A 28" bar on 70-80cc saws is a really nice setup for firewood.

Upright Bass! Rare you see one these days, my late uncle played one on the Lousiana Hayride and Ozark Jubilee back in the day, played with Wille and Bob Wills, I can't believe my aunt gave it away, I think it was pretty rare, a three string if I remember right.

Upright Bass! Rare you see one these days, my late uncle played one on the Lousiana Hayride and Ozark Jubilee back in the day, played with Wille and Bob Wills, I can't believe my aunt gave it away, I think it was pretty rare, a three string if I remember right.

The Lousiana Hayride is where I first saw Elvis in 1953, and Bob Wills was
one of my favorite shows. I was a little snot back then, and Homer&Jethroe
use to make me roll with laughter. My gramps was a bass player and trained me, he played anything, classical to rock. I wish I had his old bass
but mine are quite nice old Kays, but I use a fine Duecthendorff for classical bow work. I have two old albums of Bob Wills, one shows the band
members, but not thier names, but the timing the bass player put on those
songs were the key to the band, probably was your uncle.

I really like my 60cc saws, BUT knowing what I know now, I would have bought a 441 or a Husky equivalent because I already had two 60cc saws. My 361 with a 20-inch bar will cut some pretty darn big tree. I wish that I would have gone with the 441 for the occasional big tree and also a little bit of milling. Since you are having doubts, just go back and get the strato 441. They have a great reputation and with a 24" bar it will cut some serious trees. They may even be better on fuel due to the strato-who knows?

The decision is ultimately yours and you will do fine either way, but it seems like lots of folks regret not buying the bigger saw to start with when it is all said and done.

You bet

Hi everyone,
I'm new here but have been doing some research over the past week and this site has helped me tremendously. My first saw was a 290 with too much bar - 20." It was a company expense that my business partner purchased quickly because we needed "a chainsaw" that day.

My wife and I just put in a new fireplace insert and because of it, we've had the gas central heat off for almost two weeks. I'm very happy with it's performance so far. Since I need to put away wood for next year (if the fields ever dry out and I can get to it), I decided to buy myself a new saw that'll get some work done. I figure I'll have to put about 4 - 5 cords away for next year - anything more than that will have me prepared for the following year.

I went to my Stihl dealer just down the road which I've bought a fair amount of equipment from with thoughts of a 441. After doing some research, and a little soul searching, I decided I didn't have to go overkill ALL the time, and that a 361 with a 20" bar would indeed be a fine all around firewood saw and save us a couple hundred bucks.

I don't know if it's the Tim Allen in me or what, but I'm wondering if I should look into the the 7 day guarantee and the possibility of a moving up to a 441 or even a 460? At 32 years old, I'm 6'1" and 200lbs - what do you guys think my best bet is? This is firewood - whatever I can get my hands on that's suitable for burning.

FYI - We don't have any Jonsered dealers around and my Husky dealer isn't close. I'm pretty happy with Stihl and going to stick with them.

Thanks for all the info thus far, this is really a great site!
Kevin

4-5 cords, 361/20inch is perfect. Most trees have limbs on them, thats where the 361 will make up for slower blocking. A 441 or 460 isn't much fun to limb with compared to the ligher 361. If you have already used the 361 to completely saw up and limb a tree you will miss it when limbing with the 441 or 460..

not that i don't like more power, i do. thats why i kept my old 046. but unless you got money to blow, i don't see the need to sell a new 361 to buy a 441 or anything bigger for firewood. my 361 just feels handy for most work. most of the time i but sub 25 inch oak. and i try to get every last piece out of the tree. so it feels better for the majority of my cutting. i can get the top cleaned up and start down the trunk and that usually finishes the first tank of fuel. and another half tank does the rest.

4-5 cords, 361/20inch is perfect. Most trees have limbs on them, thats where the 361 will make up for slower blocking. A 441 or 460 isn't much fun to limb with compared to the ligher 361. If you have already used the 361 to completely saw up and limb a tree you will miss it when limbing with the 441 or 460..
Fechmup, you need to listen to the champ!

Last edited:
and the muff mod really opens it up. i run a 20 inch on mine. i also have an 18. and a 24 on the 046 but i've never actually needed it. it does help me for felling bigger trees but i've only cut a couple trees that was big enough that the 20 wouldn't fell without reaching around a little.

Thall is good guy, but he fixes saws more than he uses them.

How is it that men who are under 5' 8', under 160 lbs, and over 50, can fall, limb and buck all day long with 066/395 saws?
How is this possible, when men who are over 6', over 200lbs, and under 40 have a hard time running 70 cc saws?
Whats even more amazing, is how they did it with those monsters from days gone by that wieghed twice as much?

Clearance you obviously have different cutting conditions, the land of the hardwoods and short bars is totally different than the big old softwoods your use to. Try using one all day on cutting your wood up in 18" pieces, anything from 2.5" up to 20-24", our ozark mountains may not be as tall but the ravines are just as steep. Come on down and we'll be glad to wear your azz ragged in a day, we'll run whatever saws you want to pack, I think you'll want to go back to the soft wood, big trees and long bars. I on the other hand want nothing to do with falling the size of trees you guys do, give me a 36-40 inch red oak any day. I don't understand why some of the guys out in the PNW say the old 038 mag was one of the best landing saws ever made, the 361 is within a whisker if not as fast as the 038 we have, is it the cc's that count or the saws performance.

Thall is good guy, but he fixes saws more than he uses them.

How is it that men who are under 5' 8', under 160 lbs, and over 50, can fall, limb and buck all day long with 066/395 saws?
How is this possible, when men who are over 6', over 200lbs, and under 40 have a hard time running 70 cc saws?
Whats even more amazing, is how they did it with those monsters from days gone by that wieghed twice as much?

Its not a matter of who can do what Clearance. Hell how did small guys use a axe all day long or a cross cut saw back in the day. They did because they had no choice, today there is a choice. The OP is only cutting 4-5 cords of wood, he has no need for a 441 or 460 if thats all he is sawing. If he has a want for 441 or 460 thats another story but as a true need, he has all the saw he needs in that 361.

Clearance I wanna see a pic of your pythons, I find limbing with a 70cc saw overworking my beauties, not saws, my arms, LOL

:sword:
Clearance you obviously have different cutting conditions, the land of the hardwoods and short bars is totally different than the big old softwoods your use to. Try using one all day on cutting your wood up in 18" pieces, anything from 2.5" up to 20-24", our ozark mountains may not be as tall but the ravines are just as steep. Come on down and we'll be glad to wear your azz ragged in a day, we'll run whatever saws you want to pack, I think you'll want to go back to the soft wood, big trees and long bars. I on the other hand want nothing to do with falling the size of trees you guys do, give me a 36-40 inch red oak any day. I don't understand why some of the guys out in the PNW say the old 038 mag was one of the best landing saws ever made, the 361 is within a whisker if not as fast as the 038 we have, is it the cc's that count or the saws performance.

We are spoiled with good wood, but there is plenty of crap growing among it. As far as ground goes, we have it. There is a lot to be said about finesse and using a saw to your advantage. Your out of your mind if your telling me your safer working on steep, bad ground with midget bars. :dizzy:

I have never been out to where you are at indian s, but I can read maps, elevations, for starters. I have been places that make some sh8t there pants just driving there, and worked places where you do not want to slip, or you would bounce like a pinball for a thousand feet. I think the westcoast has the ruggedest, steepest ground around, so, I am sure you work hard and stuff, but I figure I could do fine there too.

About the 038, I owned one new, a Mag2, I have used 361s but never owned one. I can say I would rather buck on the landing with an 038, more power, tougher saw. And yes I have bucked on a landing, a hoe-chuck show, and I used a 460 Stihl and a 372.

But the 361 is a nice saw, no doubt.

You have the 290 for limbing so take advantage of the 7 day return policy and get the 70cc saw, you'll be set for your firewood needs for years.
:greenchainsaw:

back before i had 3 460's and just had the 361 and 1 460 my 460 went down from a stupid skidder guy not watching what he was doing, i had to wait a few days for the parts to fix it so i used the 361 for a few days guess what. you can keep the little pissy 361. i just sold one the other day cuase there useless for real work. the 441 or 460 will drop top and buck more in a days time than that 361 ever would. i run mainly a 20" bar with 8 pin sprocket and full comp chain. stock to stock or ported to ported ill kiss your a** on the courthouse square and give you 20 minutes to draw a crowd if you put more wood on the truck with a 361 than i do with a 441 or 460. and yep i am 5'10" and weigh in at 160. little guy big saw, all day every day .....logger and proud of it..as far as operation of the saws ,the 361 is just fine but dont blow smoke up everyones a** by saying you can get as much done with it as you can a 441 or 460 .:bang:

Its not a matter of who can do what Clearance. Hell how did small guys use a axe all day long or a cross cut saw back in the day. They did because they had no choice, today there is a choice. The OP is only cutting 4-5 cords of wood, he has no need for a 441 or 460 if thats all he is sawing. If he has a want for 441 or 460 thats another story but as a true need, he has all the saw he needs in that 361.

Clearance I wanna see a pic of your pythons, I find limbing with a 70cc saw overworking my beauties, not saws, my arms, LOL

Ya see them old pictures of the hand fallers Thall? They were not big, huge guys at all. But they were tough and strong beyond all reason.

Back