Just bought a Dolmar top handle today!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

what-a-stihl

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Halfway through a big tree job today my trusty Stihl MS192T became not so trusty, it wouldn't stay running. Changed the plug and cleaned the filter still wouldn't run. I didn't have time to fix it and neither did the homeowner so I went to the stihl dealer to get a 200 and all they had was a 191, so I went to the Echo dealer to check those out and the 360 was way to heavy and bulky. Then went to buy a Husky and seen the husky dealer is also a Dolmar dealer, picked up a 3410 and I liked it and bought it. I used it all day and loved it. Didn't think I'd like the exposed spark plug but it really didn't matter. The only miss was a cheap choke lever. For $370, did I make the right choice?

I have never even seen one, if it is not orange and German , they don't sell it around here. Have wondered about those and Jonsred. How does it perform?

I have never even seen one, if it is not orange and German

Dolmars are german. i think the op did good. Worst thing i have seen with dolmar is dealer support. Aside from that they are runners.

Last edited:
I used to own a Sachs Dolmar many moons ago and can't remember if I liked it. Don't know if dealer around here but have always been disappointed when I stray from stihl esp from the 020/200 which I have done numerous times. For what? About $100 plus cheaper?

View attachment 231479

I have never even seen one, if it is not orange and German , they don't sell it around here. Have wondered about those and Jonsred. How does it perform?

That's right Dolmar is a German like OO steve said, and also Jonsered is really a red Husqvarna, it's the same company now.

It is a pro grade saw...

I started with one, but someone let me use their sthil ms200.... well you can get it done with the dolmar, but why not treat yourself, if you already taking the risk swinging around 50 ft up , risking life and or limb for a few dollars, mine as well risk it with a ms200

on the ground I ll run a dollmar , sthil , husky , (who cares) all day long...

To the OP, if you like it you did well. Dolmars are well built and dependable saws and if you take care of it ti will take care of you. They are also orange and German if that matters to you. All Dolmars are either pro grade or built like pro grade saws.

Halfway through a big tree job today my trusty Stihl MS192T became not so trusty, it wouldn't stay running. Changed the plug and cleaned the filter still wouldn't run. I didn't have time to fix it and neither did the homeowner so I went to the stihl dealer to get a 200 and all they had was a 191, so I went to the Echo dealer to check those out and the 360 was way to heavy and bulky. Then went to buy a Husky and seen the husky dealer is also a Dolmar dealer, picked up a 3410 and I liked it and bought it. I used it all day and loved it. Didn't think I'd like the exposed spark plug but it really didn't matter. The only miss was a cheap choke lever. For $370, did I make the right choice?

Yes, they are a good saw, I bought one as my first climbing saw, ran it for 4 years, then bought a 200T. I still have it and use it as a backup or whenever my other climber and I are doing removals at the same time he gets it. It's a great saw for sure. Better then a 192 and a 338. Haven't had a single issue with it, keep the chain sharp, air cleaner free of crap and it'll perform well for you. I tend to pull it out more on conifers, easier to clean the sap off then the 200T. Never had an issue with the spark plug either. Can't go wrong for the price either.

I run a dolmar top handle

I bought a demo model dolmar top handle for my small business, actually through arboristsite. If could go back and do it again, I would. Good deal, good saw in general. After a few months of steady use though mine is acting up a little. Nothing major, just touchy and easy to stall till it gets warmed up. Maybe need a new fuel filter, already changed air/plug. Anyway, congrats on your purchase. Mine's took a beating and is still reliable overall. My boss runs 200Ts at my 9-5 job and I do like them a little better. I just couldn't afford one as a new company starting out. I'm like the oddball on saws, got echo, dolmar, stihl, and just ordered a husky. Gets fun when its time to order chains/tune up kits.

Back in the early 90's used to climb with an old echo that had an exposed sparkplug.. This was in Seattle now.. Eventually I got used to being electrocuted every 5 minutes..

The 3410 in my opinion is the 2nd best climbing saw there is,the 200t is tops,I run all sorts of dollmar saws and they are more powerful than the huskys and stihls in the same categories,are cheaper to buy,they are all of pro quality,they are all hand made apparently by one man in Germany,they are the same saw as the makitas,actually I think makita owns them now,the dealer I use is excellent and usually same day repairs,they are also the maker of the world's fist chainsaw,I wish they made one bigger saw,the largest they make is a 90 cc

Latest posts

Back