Just bought my first saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dave_11

Reaction score
Just bought my first saw - MS361

Hi all

just wanted to say thanks to everyone for participating in this forum, it has already allowed me to make an informed decision when purchasing my first saw.

i moved into a different house last year and with that i now have a use for lots of firewood. i poked around with the idea of getting myself a saw, and my wifes pop ended up getting me a very small McCullough from one of his drinking buddies.
The saw didn't seem like much and shortly after trying to get it running again, i decided that an upgrade was needed, both for its intended use and my own sanity.
so this will stay in its box

and this is my new pride and joy.:chainsaw: MS361

thanks again all for the reviews and comparisons.:clap:

i'll have to get the lil guy running again though, it just bugs me to have something that won't start. :)

Last edited:
nothing like a new "real" saw,you have made a wise purchase,take care of the 361 and it will give years of firewood for your home.

congrats on the new saw,and get yourself some ppe,that is a serious saw with serious power....ain't no mini mac.:greenchainsaw:

Congratulations on your first real saw. :clap:

Now the question is, what are you gonna do with your old one????

I'd like to go ahead and make you an offer on that saw...... how about $10.00........ thats all it will cost ya for me to take it, of course you'll have to pay the shipping too. :D

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
:cheers:

Funny, I went down a very similar path. Somewhat spontaneously, I bought a Chinese McCulloch, and quickly realized I had under-bought. I was actually able to sell it for what I paid for it within a month, and quickly moved on to a Husky 353.

Congratulations dave11 on u`r new Stihl 361,

After u`r saws break in period. I would recommend you do the muffler mod like Lakeside53 did you will be very impressed. I did that and switched from a 7 tooth rim sprocket to an 8 tooth rim, and Its an awesome machine! (With sharp Stihl RSC chain).

I sent my 361 muffler to Bowtie he did a great job on the lakeside mod. @ a cost of $50.00 + shipping don`t forget to tach the saw and adjust the carb.

Check out this thread , http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=33528&highlight=361+mods

luck and safety,
lisapizza

I have an exact Mac 110, in about the same shape! With a good tune and a sharp chain, it cuts pretty decent actually! I'll probably never get rid of it, as it was my first saw. Not exactly a trophy, but it cuts wood,and it's tiny, so if I'm going camping for the weekend in the boonies or fishing or something, guess which saw I'd take? The 110!

From what I've heard, you'll really like that 361, but I'd take the 110 along as a backup when you're out cutting, just in case you get the other saw stuck somewhere! The little 110 may take a bit, but it will get it out! :givebeer:

I'll break it in for you

I'm kinda partial to Shindaiwa's but may I be the first to offer my services to run the saw during the break in period. Looks good.

:clap: :clap: :clap: Damn that's like going from drinking pondwater to Crown Royal. I like a man who can make up his mind by reading the past threads and not coming on here and asking" what kind of saw should I get".Good job. Your going to love your new saw. Oh and by the way welcome aboard AS.

PS: keep us posted on how you like it.:givebeer: :givebeer: :givebeer:

And the CAD begins!

Did you cut with it yet i cant tell from the pic.If you didnt you are in for a
surprize. Did it come with that bar seems short . Nice saw will last forever.

I have yet to run a 361. I hear nothing but good things about them though.

Welcome to CAD & AS!

Be a nice combo...

I'd use the mac to trim up limbs and the 361 for the big stuff...Be alot easyer on ya...I didnt realize how much spoiled I would be to have a second light saw for trimmin...I been using the 260 and 440 for my combo,,and it works out really good...

I guess you know by now that, on Arboristsite, you attain Superhero status by purchasing a 361.:lifter:

Dave 11

You're gonna love the 361.

I have a 361 too, when I picked it up...the dealer put a 25" bar on it!

0818082307s.jpg

Last week I put a spike kit and the tool holder on my 361 :)

1007081503.jpg

Latest posts

Back