just got a new Stihl ms 441 cm

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dave k already has a 461 and i've heard tell of the 661s being demoed in the states right now. Some in the PNW and I think one in Minnesota. The 461 is rubber av and someone said the 661 is spring av. I hope some spy photos leak out for the 661 soon.

OMG would a spring'd 661 be CAD-worthy... add M-Tronic and the mind reels.

come on guys almost two full pages of posts and not a single..."well its almost as good as a Husky....well husky has a better filtration system....well Husky is red-er...well my wife thinks the husky is bigger..."

you husky lovers are gonna sit back and let us have our way with a saw>>>?

I dunno...something must be wrong with the world...

Tongue planted firmly in cheek..

A

All we've seen is a couple of ported saws with short bars not being compared to anything else in the same wood they are cutting. There's no reason to get excited just yet.

Dave k already has a 461 and i've heard tell of the 661s being demoed in the states right now. Some in the PNW and I think one in Minnesota. The 461 is rubber av and someone said the 661 is spring av. I hope some spy photos leak out for the 661 soon.

You probably won't have to wait too long. :msp_wink:

There s a short vid of my Snellerized 441 with 28" on my YouTube, TreeworkDK, I must put a 30" on and give it a go ! There is another Stihl vid there which must not be posted here.

Well I've never really wanted a 441 until I saw this saw run. Now I wish I had one instead of a new 460 that's just been setting. If I did it would be shipping to Brad tomorrow.

There s a short vid of my Snellerized 441 with 28" on my YouTube, TreeworkDK, I must put a 30" on and give it a go ! There is another Stihl vid there which must not be posted here.

Wow. Thats a nice saw. Great job Brad, she's a runner for sure. Ya know I bet a 576 ported would be a great runner too.

i do own a 441 and it is an awesome saw! i have a 28'' bar on it now but i would highly recommend if your cutting hard wood then i would stick with the 20'' bar instead of a the 28''. the saw can pull the 28'' no prob but i am cutting pines with it primarily anf im nt saying all of it is soft but since i got my new 660 it doesnt need a 28'' so im just going to stick the 20'' back on and hual ass haha.

best of luck to you and hold on.

I have 11 saws that have been ported by Terry in Des Moines, IA and he makes them very torquey with lots of usable power throughout the power band that just about pulls you over the log you are cutting, LOL, most that use his saws like to see how hard (and wrong I know) you can push on one and not stop the chain, LOL.

That I know of he ported one of the first 441's in the country and i ran it for a couple of years before I smashed it and got more of them. He has then done 3-4 for me and one or two for Porche and some for others. My timber cutters that have run 660's and modded 660's at that for years will only run Terry's modified 441's with 28" bars on them. As Porche's video can attest to, the modded 441 with the larger factory oiler has gobs of power and runs and handles like a Cadilac, it has no flaws. I have run 441's for weeks sun up to sun down and never had any hand or wrist problems. I have then run one of my modded 660's for a few hours and they about wreck me, next day can't open my hands and such, and they aren't faster than the modded 441, and they won't cut anymore wood until you get a few lengths past a 28" bar.

We log and can't really justify owning the 660's anymore, because with a 28" bar the 441's are cutting 50"-60" oaks as fast or faster, when you figure limbing them, with the modded 441, and the fuel mileage just makes more wood fall faster yet in a days or weeks time. The modded 441 is the reason I have no use for a 460, a modded 460 has the same power, but they have as bad of fuel mileage as a 660 and the same vibrations and air filtration.

After using one of Terry's 441's for day, my best cutter was quoted as saying, "I'd walk a 1/2 mile past a modded 660, everyday, to run that 441".

Terry's work with the 441 over the years has really made him an expert on the several different ways to get the power out of the 441 from the carb to the strato cylinder and piston to muffler, and they behave like ##### cats without being tempermental to start, idle or use. While everyone else was crying that the Strato's were junk and un-moddiable or hard to modd or you couldn't get any gains out of them, Terry was doing it. Its the same for the C-M version, while others were saying you can't modd them. Terry had it completely figured out and knows ways of making it even better.

My two cents on the modded 441,

Sam

I just called my dealer and got a price of $796 with a 25" B&C. I cannot get a wrap version and was wondering what once of you guys on the west coast could get one for.

I dunno about 441's, but I have seen full wrap MS440's go for a tad less than that from Madsens in the last month. And in the PNW, I was seeing 441's go for cheap.

I wonder if a sprung 661 will get the same reception the 441 did.

I dunno about 441's, but I have seen full wrap MS440's go for a tad less than that from Madsens in the last month. And in the PNW, I was seeing 441's go for cheap.

I wonder if a sprung 661 will get the same reception the 441 did.

I can in no way imagine that. I mean a 660 with the AV of a Husqvarna......would be a dream IMHO. I cant wait to see when they come out.

I just called my dealer and got a price of $796 with a 25" B&C. I cannot get a wrap version and was wondering what once of you guys on the west coast could get one for.

I'll call my dealer and see what he can do. That seems high. I'm going to be getting two (Wrapped - then taking the wrap off, LOL) 441 C-M's in the next month, so I need to check on it.

Sam

Last edited:
Back