Just Got My New Chainsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danrclem

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I just got my new chainsaw a little while ago from Wise Equipment and Generators from Schaumburg Illinois. They sent me the wrong one. :mad: I ordered a Husqvarna 359 and they sent me a Rancher 455. It had a bar package but didn't even have a bar. I called up and the guy I talked to seemed to be in a very big hurry to leave. Must've had a hot date or something. He apologized and said to call him back tomorrow and he'll make everything right. I sure hope so. He seemed like he would take care of it but it still is aggrevating. I'll let you guys know how everything turns out. They did ship it fast though because I just ordered it Wednesday. I guess this might be one reason to buy from a local dealer.

I bougth a 365 from them and the bar was missing, but they sent a replacement quickly. But sending the wrong saw? That's pretty lame. :chainsaw:

Now this wouldn't happen with Stihl would it?

I can't imagine a dealer assembling a saw and demonstrating it to the new owner, followed by a few test cuts without the owner noticing that the bar was missing! :)

On the other hand, misshipping a different saw model could happen.... kinda "I went to the dealer to get a MS170 and he talked me into a MS440..."

With a Stihl dealer you mightn't get the saw you intended to, but you'll know a heap of reasons why the saw you got is sooooo much better!

sawn_penn said:

In a sense, something similar might. I ordered a 260 Pro yesterday along with several other items and almost found myself ordering a 260. I watched the fella' as he totalled my order and in the end I verified that that was for the 260 Pro and he said "No, the only difference between ..." and I cut him off and said "I want the Pro" and we fixed the problem right there before anything was ever ordered.

It's really nice when you finally find someone who has some sense and I'm really liking this fella'. Yesterday was kind of funny in that as is my custom, I produced a printed out list of exactly what I wanted, printed out of my printer so it's not a matter of reading handwriting. I'll include part numbers when they apply. Line 1 was 1 MS-260 Pro with .325" 7T rim sprocket . Line 4 was 1 0000 642 1231 - .375" 7T sprocket. Line 5 was 1 0000 642 1234 - .325" 8T sprocket. This poor guy apparently missed the with in line 1 and he thought I just wanted a .325" 7T rim sprocket that would fit on a 260 Pro. It all became quite obvious when he produced the total and it was something like $220 (I ordered plenty of other stuff, too). I simply don't know how the 260 ships as a standard, thus my desire to point out the need for a rim sprocket. If it were me, I would have looked at line 4 and 5 and wondered why the customer knew those part numbers but not the number for the sprocket in line 1. Actually, if it were me I would have got it done perfectly the first time because I am perfect and no one else is.

It's really nice when you finally find a dealer that has good sense. The problems outlined above are non-problems. Non-problems do become problems, though, when they have to be fixed over the phone or through the mail. I've always said that the only way you'll ever really get satisfaction over the phone is to call the 1-900 numbers.

I'm sure that this thread won't turn into yet another Brand dealer vs. Brand dealer thread. That business is getting really old and very irritating lately.

That's a bunch about nothing, isn't it?

In any case, I like to search a lot on the internet and that Wise dealership sure does show up a lot. No doubt that whole business will be straightened out. It sure is irritating in the mean time, though.

Speaking of searching, I found a site in the UK I think it was that sells saws and toy saws. If you call them, they will make the toy saw make it's sound over the phone for you if you want to hear it. Does anybody know what I'm talking about? I'm tempted to call.

THE END

Last edited:
I don't know whether you've handled both models or not and examined their differences....but, at the risk of offending 359 owners....unless you need the 'pro' features, i.e. quick access cover, lighter weight/ratio design, easily rebuildable engine...you may wish to keep the 455 and put the extra money you save into a pair of kevlar chaps or an extra bar :)

danrclem said:
I just got my new chainsaw a little while ago from Wise Equipment and Generators from Schaumburg Illinois. They sent me the wrong one. :mad: I ordered a Husqvarna 359 and they sent me a Rancher 455. It had a bar package but didn't even have a bar. I called up and the guy I talked to seemed to be in a very big hurry to leave. Must've had a hot date or something. He apologized and said to call him back tomorrow and he'll make everything right. I sure hope so. He seemed like he would take care of it but it still is aggrevating. I'll let you guys know how everything turns out. They did ship it fast though because I just ordered it Wednesday. I guess this might be one reason to buy from a local dealer.

Awwwwwwwwwwwww no need to worry, they will make it right. Anything bought over the phone always has a slight chance of getting mixed up or misunderstood. Just a honest mistake on your sellers part.

I talked to John today at Wise Equipment. He said that my 359 would be sent out Monday. I'll think everything will be OK. I did check before I ordered through him and he is on the Husqvarna dealer list.

coveredinsap, I did handle both of the saws before ordering one but I didn't run either one of them. I'm sure the 455 is a good saw but the 359 just felt better in my hands and was not as bulky. It's a little bit lighter and I thought since I'm not a spring chicken anymore that the 359 might be better for me. I've never worn chaps but they sound like they'd be a good idea too. Do most wood cutters wear chaps?

danrclem said:
I talked to John today at Wise Equipment. He said that my 359 would be sent out Monday. I'll think everything will be OK. I did check before I ordered through him and he is on the Husqvarna dealer list.

coveredinsap, I did handle both of the saws before ordering one but I didn't run either one of them. I'm sure the 455 is a good saw but the 359 just felt better in my hands and was not as bulky. It's a little bit lighter and I thought since I'm not a spring chicken anymore that the 359 might be better for me. I've never worn chaps but they sound like they'd be a good idea too. Do most wood cutters wear chaps?

Do most wood cutters wear chaps, nope. Should they, yep. Got me a nice scar on top of the left knee that took 65 stitches. I shoulda had some chaps on for sure. Felt like a nick across the pants untill I looked in the slice in my pants and went yikessssssssssssssssssssssss. The ole scar has come in mighty handy though. You'd be surprised how many times I've pulled up my pants leg at the rack when selling a saw and recommending chaps. Works pretty good but I shoulda had chaps on in the first place. Sap is correct, getcha some chaps, sure beats a 65 stitch cut, trust me I know, I learned the hard way..............

Too bad about the mix up. Hope they get it staightened around quick for you. Good choice going with the 359; nice all around saw. The higher quality of the saw will be worth it in the long run.

I've never worn chaps but they sound like they'd be a good idea too. Do most wood cutters wear chaps?

The smart ones do. At well under $100 for a good pair, it's a no-brainer. Similar to a cop going without a kevlar vest, IMHO.

Besides, have you been to the emergency room lately? Ka-ching! :)

Glad to hear you got everything worked out OK.

I can't imagine a dealer assembling a saw and demonstrating it to the new owner, followed by a few test cuts without the owner noticing that the bar was missing!

Now I wouldn't say that, I'm a Stihl guy, but.....

Needed an MS250 a while ago. Went to my closest dealer. The 14 year old kid rang me up and filled out the paperwork. never started the saw, just took it off the shelf. I got home and went to cut the branch off, Saw wouldn't cut. Looked close at the saw and noticed that the chain was on backwards. Not all dealers are the same, this is only one of many stories I could tell ya.

Latest posts

Back