Just got my oil "prebuy"

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

darren_nh

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Pre pay cash price for oil is......$4.799. I use under 400 gallons, but even that is pricey this year. To agree with the Boston Globe article quoted and posted elsewhere on the site, the price for oil is "staggering".:confused:

Cripes, you could get diesel at the pump for that price. I am going to be filling my propane tank soon, but it should "only" cost me $600

Yup the price is too high

I live in Leominster,MA I plan to burn wood for almost all heating and hot water this winter. It almost seems cheaper to go with electric heat/hot water as long as that price doesn't jump too! But I get firewood for free right now so I'll just use that unless i'm away from home. Just gota stop buying oil for now.
-Ben

Pre pay cash price for oil is......$4.799. I use under 400 gallons, but even that is pricey this year. To agree with the Boston Globe article quoted and posted elsewhere on the site, the price for oil is "staggering".:confused:

I did mine about 2 weeks ago.

1000 gallons @ $4.59

I don't drive a lot so fuel costs aren't hurting me but the heating oil stung a little bit.

You know, I just signed on to start this thread but you guys beat me to it.

I had the same "visit" from the oil company today. They could only drop me 158 gallons, but at $4.60 per gal, the bill was $728. Last year I would probably use about that much through the Holidays. But this year, unless I'm not home to load the stove, that oil burner is staying off.

Now here's the real ironic part: Also in the mail was my economic stimulus check of $600. $128 shy of the oil bill. Great timing, huh?

Last edited:
Historical perspective

We also use about 300-400 gallons to supplement our woodstove. Two years ago, I remember it was $2.249/gallon. I remember being ticked off that the price rose to $2.499 for my fall purchase last September.

Those were the days.

I've also noticed that a lot of the delivery trucks round here have stopped posting the price per gallon - even if they're at market price or a little lower, no one wants their company logo to be associated with $4-$5 oil.

The thought of pre paying for oil makes me what to

puke. Its bad enough that were paying the prices that we are paying - now they want us to pay 6 months in advance. Not me - no way. If you think the price of oil is going to keep going up go out and buy some Exxon stock and if you have any money left stock up on firewood. The more people that get sucked into paying in advance the higher the price will go.

I haven't had a visit from the oil man for 4 yrs now!!!! I'd much rather just read about the prices then go out and cut a few cords.

I switched propane suppliers in January. The first fill was for $2.50. they told me at the time that the 2nd fill was going to cost $2.90 I hope they will honor this price with the rising propane prices. My propane tank is at 15% I have also been splitting a lot of wood for supplemental heat. I use propane for heat, hot water, log lighter fireplace, stove, forced air unit. It has been so hot during the day my uninsulated garage gets over 100 degrees during the day time. I believe it is keeping the water heater tank nice and warm so it doesn't take much fuel to heat the water a few more degrees. 4 years ago I had a high efficiency heater and air conditioner installed. I know the winters are kind of mild in San Diego:) David

It's really scary :jawdrop: I also just got my "budget" plan proposal from the local oil company. I'm really dragging my feet signing and returning it. I know it might be even worse if I don't but I might be better off reinstalling a second woodstove heater I used to have hooked up. I'd have to spend some money too install a stainless flue but that would cost less than a single tank of fuel oil. We'll see, (as I continue to procrastinate)...........:cheers:

I switched propane suppliers in January. The first fill was for $2.50. they told me at the time that the 2nd fill was going to cost $2.90 I hope they will honor this price with the rising propane prices. My propane tank is at 15% I have also been splitting a lot of wood for supplemental heat. I use propane for heat, hot water, log lighter fireplace, stove, forced air unit. It has been so hot during the day my uninsulated garage gets over 100 degrees during the day time. I believe it is keeping the water heater tank nice and warm so it doesn't take much fuel to heat the water a few more degrees. 4 years ago I had a high efficiency heater and air conditioner installed. I know the winters are kind of mild in San Diego:) David

I just had my propane tank filled about two weeks ago. It took 191 gal. to fill it and I used that in the last two years. Our cookstove is propane and I heat just a little bit in the cool but not cold weather because the woodstove gets it too hot.

I paid $1.999 per gal. and it went up about $.10 per gal right after I bought it. I got it that cheap because of a discount for owning my own tank but from what I hear all other propane suppliers in my area are around the $2.50 mark.

Danny

I just got the nerve to open my Smart(?)Budget Calculation from the oil company. 415 gals heating oil (I used less than this last year but it's a 3 yr. running average) and my Cap protection price is $4.899 :bang: Sheesh! Propane $3.149!! but they've got the estimate wrong at 299 gal. In reality I had two propane pigs that they just replaced (with one new one). They were both 85% full and I haven't seen the credit yet so that will knock that back too half or so. So they want $303 a month for 11 payments! Even with the propane adjustment it's still about $250. Sucks :(

I really think I am better served re-hooking up the old Ashley EC95 circulator and biting the bullet for the stainless flex flue. Between my Glenwood kitchen stove and that heater, I won't use hardly any oil and the propane supplimental will not be needed either. A better, more efficient stove (than the Ashley) would be even better but I already have that one and they still make them along with gasket kits and parts. I also have an old Jotul 118 in the barn. Hmmmmm.

Last edited:
puke. Its bad enough that were paying the prices that we are paying - now they want us to pay 6 months in advance. Not me - no way. If you think the price of oil is going to keep going up go out and buy some Exxon stock and if you have any money left stock up on firewood. The more people that get sucked into paying in advance the higher the price will go.

Not even true in so many ways.

WOW 4.79.I just paid 4.19 two weeks ago for 247 gallons-last delivery being in Nov 2007. I heat domestic hot water and the basement, the stove keeps the upstairs cozy and oil free:clap: .

In what "ways" is my statement not true ?

Not even true in so many ways.

Forward purchasing of any commodity at inflated prices is not going to bring the price down. It is a crude form of speculation and speculation in the form of futures contracts has much to do with the inflated price of oil right now.

The supply of oil is steady and the demand is starting to drop. This should lead to lower prices at the pumps. Panic buying and hoardng will keep driving the price up.

$10,000 invested in Exxon in 2000 would now be worth approx $20,000
$10,000 invested in Exxon in 1990 would now be worth approx $48,000
$10,000 invested in Exxon in 1980 would now be worth approx $125,000
$10,000 invested in Exxon in 1970 would now be worth approx $440,000

Price of firewood has not come close to keeping pace with the increase in the the price of oil/gas. I stand by my theory of investing in energy securities and consuming cheaper alternatives such as firewood is not a bad way to go.

Forward purchasing of any commodity at inflated prices is not going to bring the price down. It is a crude form of speculation and speculation in the form of futures contracts has much to do with the inflated price of oil right now.

The supply of oil is steady and the demand is starting to drop. This should lead to lower prices at the pumps. Panic buying and hoardng will keep driving the price up.

$10,000 invested in Exxon in 2000 would now be worth approx $20,000
$10,000 invested in Exxon in 1990 would now be worth approx $48,000
$10,000 invested in Exxon in 1980 would now be worth approx $125,000
$10,000 invested in Exxon in 1970 would now be worth approx $440,000

Price of firewood has not come close to keeping pace with the increase in the the price of oil/gas. I stand by my theory of investing in energy securities and consuming cheaper alternatives such as firewood is not a bad way to go.

Including inflation, that's an 18.2% return since 1970. Since 1980, the return drops to 12%. Since 1990, it drops to 3.8%. Since 2000 you would net a 7.3% return. If you would have got in during the early 70s, you would have made a killing. You would have done good in the 80s, but would have sucked air in the 90s, and done marginally well in the 2000s. The big gains were made 40 years ago, decent gains were made 30 years ago. Since then, not so much.

Sorry, degree in finance/economics. I didn't verify you numbers, just ran with them.

Mark

7.3% return since 2000

Don't know where you got your inflation numbers but I find it hard to believe a 100% return over 8 years only amounts to a net return of only 7.3%

Having said that Exxon was probaby not the best stock to use as an example. I don't follow to many US stock these days. I picked Exxon off the top of my head. Most oil stocks have actually done much better, especially in the last 15 years.

Latest posts

Back