Just ran across this picture, thought you guys might like it

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I remember this photo too. I thought there was a story that went along with it that described the Brothers who trained the moose to pull the harness. As I recall it was on the up and up.
But I have been known to be wrong before.

although i know atleast here in maine i doubt it would even be legal to tame or own a moose since they are considered wild animals....unless that is if you had some kind of permit or something.

Working moose in Glen Miller ON in about the 20's

Ok, as fake as that picture is.......

I've heard this from some people I work with..... their father's worked at the same papermill we work at. There was a guy in the little hamlet that the mill is in that had a tame moose. The resturant by the mill has all these old historic pictures of the mill and the village...... and wouldn't you know it they had a picture of this guy with a Moose hooked up to a plow (using horse harness). I believe the pic had the date written on it and I think it was in the 20's.

So I do believe its possible, the pic looked like the real deal, and there are multiple people that have substanciated the storey.......

I think this is something I'd like to see those guys from MythBusters try to disprove...... That would make some great TV.

Bobo

My grandpa had a pet balck bear for a while but I dont think he trained it to catch boards off the sawmill. Bobo was the bears name. The only place for a moose though is on the dinner plate as far as i'm concerned.

Last edited:
That ain't no fake! Its just moose logging. See it all the time around here. Except we use elk here instead of moose.

Why, when I was just this high, I'll tell yah....

Back