Just talked to a great sawbuilder!!!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BostonBull

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Just got off the phone with Dean from Washington Hotsaws. he was extremely helpful answering ALL my questions and actually going into stuff a lot further than I had asked! He is one of the best guys I have dealt with when it comes to saws. :D If you ever need solid sound advice on saw modifications or repairs give Dean a call.

thanks you Boston Bull for the kind words however I will be the first to say that I am not a great saw builder. My saws are not the fastest nor do I claim to have great mystical knowledge unknown to others. I build a fair woods saw and hope to make my customers happy with them. There are builders here on this sight and around the country who can put anything I build to shame. Some day I hope I get to meet some of these guys and maybe even learn a little from them. *Customer service* ... ok... I am pretty good at that and I try to be helpful.

Hi Dean,

Any progress on that 026 you had put a K & N filter on? I keep wracking my brain trying to figure out a filter alternative for mine.

r

a man who knows himself and his limitations.. this very necessary for him to become ,if hes not now, one of the premier builders .. good luck ,klick..
my compliments boston bull for being willing to tell it like you see it.. :)

I too had a good experience with Dean as well. I bought a 42" Cannon rollernose bar off him and it was better than he had described it. So Dean is a master at understatement. Thanks Dean.
John

hh20.jpg

Hi, Dean.

I bought a Jred 670 parts saw from you via eBay auction. Smooth transaction. We communicated on (self-edit, you know, the other site).

I have some (dumb?) questions. Before I ask them, I want everyone to understand that I AM NOT trying to start a saw builder pizzing match. That is the last thing that I want. And I AM NOT questioning Dean's work; I'm simply curious. Maybe the numerous Saw Wars soap operas here did affect me after all. If you decide that this is a potential can of worms, & don't want to respond, I understand 100%.

That said, what sort of gain can be expected from the modest modifications that you mentioned? I realize that we're speaking of woods saws, not race saws. Please understand most of my comments are based on what I've read here & on other sites, not from personal experience. I've also read that a small gain will seem more significant in a smaller saw, less so in a larger saw. I've read that different saws have different requirements, & will produce different outcomes. Can the gains be expressed (generally speaking) in percentages? Such as 15% gain? 20%?

With all of my apologizing & explaining, I hope that my questions make sense.

Chris J.

klickitatsacket said:
Thanks John. I am glad you are happy with your purchase. I am curious as to what that bar went on.
Hi Dean, I was wanting the 42" rollernose so I could cut down 2 trees at the same time with my 088. lol
John
hhw7.jpg

knot whole, do not worry as I refuse to get into it with others but at the same time I do not mind helping others out or just talk saws. I love 'em and have never had any more fun making a living than it has been working on saws. Until I get my dyno built the only way I can test saws is with a stop watch, a tach and a 16" fir log. I find that an average of about 20% hp can be found with basic mods (this is all I do) In some saws this has translated into more torque and in a few it has translated into greater RPM as time has progressed I have figured out how to bring into balance torque and RPM as I increase the hp. I still do not understand everything and maintaining a wide torque band has been a challange. Right now with 20%gains, the balance of torque to RPM gains has been 35% to 65% balance, witht he 35% going to torque. The wall I am at right now is my air flow. I can easily over fuel my cylinder. The problem is getting enough air in with enough velocity to go beyond this stage. I have tried larger carbs. but am running into a loss of air volocity. Right now I have a series of cylinders for the stihl 044 that I am trying something new (to me) to see if I can get past this little hurdle with out melting it down.

Thanks, Dean.

I must be learning something around here, because I actually understood your response (reflection on me, not your response). A year ago that would've gone so far over my head I wouldn't have even needed to duck :p .

Chris J.

klickitatsacket said:
The problem is getting enough air in with enough velocity to go beyond this stage. I have tried larger carbs. but am running into a loss of air volocity.

Turbocharging ! :laugh:

A blower like on them old 2 stroke jokes Detroit Diesel use to make. :p

Back