Just wondering

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Re winter grade chain oil.

I long ago quit cutting in really cold weather but have always wondered.

What is the reason for lighter grade chain oil in cold weather? ISTM that a few minutes after start up the oil is going to be very warm anyhow. I suppose there could be a strain on the pump mechanism trying to pump thick oil at startup. Is there some reason other than that?

Harry K

It'll flow easier, but you're right. The saw will warm up the oil itself. Let the saw idle a bit before cutting, as you should anyway, and it'll warm the oil up fine. I do use winter grade stuff in the remote reservoir on an Alaskan Mill. There's nothing to warm it, so I use the winter stuff.

Jeff

What usually goes is the oil pump drive gear. Every time the temp really drops, we get a few guys in with that problem. I guess it kind of depends on what you call cold. We tend to see the problems when the temp gets down to the mid teens and below. The warm up idea probably is OK for temps in the 20's. Plus, keep the saw in a heated garage if you can, instead of leaving it in the truck all night. But, I think that the safest way to go (and by far the cheapest), is to use the winter oil.

I too gave up cutting in really cold weather some time ago.. Couldn't help but comment that its just easier refilling the tank in the field if you don't keep it warm. Heck, it hasn't been that cold here and I still find it easy to get that stuff everywhere but in the hole. And forget a funnel.

define cold

cutting at o F is quite cool, i use winter bar oil from first of december until spring, its the same as my truck lower viscosity for winter 5w30 instead of 10w30. from what i've learned most of the damage done to any type of engine seems to be on startup. this winter really sucks we havn't had too many days around 0, but in past years we can expect -20's.

Simple way to thin out cold bar oil is do what the ole farmers did back in the good ole days. They would take a small cup of kerosene and dump it in the jug of oil. It not only thinned out the oil it also kept the bar grooves cleaner as well as lowering all that oily build up you get in your sprocket cover. They even claimed it made the wood chips less sticky but I tried it and found I'm not so sure bout all that. Did thin the thick cold bar oil just like they said though...

Back