Keeping your saw clean

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you feel the need to hermetically seal your chainsaws in SpoogeGuard® ShrinkWrap

30874ef2ffa71ae7d45968374f3f92e0.jpg
81COz8BPabL._AC_SY355_.jpg

...you may not be using them as their manufacturers intended.
Just sayin
I remember an aunt that would leave the clear plastic wrapper's on the lamp shades and put clear vinyl runners on the carpet. However that generation went through the depression and in this area the Dust Bowl. They had very little in posessions and valued what they did have.
My saws get blown off including clutch area, bar grooves and wiped down at the end of the day, but that's about it. I am careful not to just throw my saws on the ground or in the back of the pu. My saws don't look their age but neither does my house, car, pu, gator, tractor, etc. If you keep your posessions in good condition they will cost you less over the years.

I remember an aunt that would leave the clear plastic wrapper's on the lamp shades and put clear vinyl runners on the carpet. However that generation went through the depression and in this area the Dust Bowl. They had very little in posessions and valued what they did have.
My saws get blown off including clutch area, bar grooves and wiped down at the end of the day, but that's about it. I am careful not to just throw my saws on the ground or in the back of the pu. My saws don't look their age but neither does my house, car, pu, gator, tractor, etc. If you keep your posessions in good condition they will cost you less over the years.

Keeping saws clean is not just about cleanliness. It is the process of cleaning that is also an inspection. In the hands on, focused attention that problems or potential problems are found before escalating into something more serious.

I was concerned about the excessive tape residue after the tape was applied more then 12 hours ago. So far there is no spreading. The viral adhesive is not yet attacking the rest of the saw, nor other nearby saws. I'll keep checking and reporting back here. :laughing:

Now I know I've heard it all after the last page of replys...

Lol.

I think this is the third time you've said "I've heard it all" in this thread. Must be a great read for you, opening your eyes to the wonders of the world. You ever go outside, talk to people, try new things, read a book, watch the news? Dude you got to start living beyond just reading Arboristsite.com

I think this is the third time you've said "I've heard it all" in this thread. Must be a great read for you, opening your eyes to the wonders of the world. You ever go outside, talk to people, try new things, read a book, watch the news? Dude you got to start living beyond just reading Arboristsite.com

I spend a hell of a lot less time on Chainsaw forums than you do 😂😂

Tell me another one...this is good..

I Cleary spend more time in the real world than you do 😂

Keeping saws clean is not just about cleanliness. It is the process of cleaning that is also an inspection. In the hands on, focused attention that problems or potential problems are found before escalating into something more serious.

I was concerned about the excessive tape residue after the tape was applied more then 12 hours ago. So far there is no spreading. The viral adhesive is not yet attacking the rest of the saw, nor other nearby saws. I'll keep checking and reporting back here. :laughing:
I know what you are talking about when you mention cleaning being an inspection. Not long ago I threw a chain which forced me to take the clutch cover off in the field. Even though throwing the chain was extremely aggravating, upon inspection, somewhere I had got into some fishing line, and it was wrapped around the shaft between the case and the rim sprocket ( outboard clutch). There was about 30 feet of line in there. Since then I like to remove the cover, clean, and inspect periodically.

I know what you are talking about when you mention cleaning being an inspection. Not long ago I threw a chain which forced me to take the clutch cover off in the field. Even though throwing the chain was extremely aggravating, upon inspection, somewhere I had got into some fishing line, and it was wrapped around the shaft between the case and the rim sprocket ( outboard clutch). There was about 30 feet of line in there. Since then I like to remove the cover, clean, and inspect periodically.

For a while last year I was buying riding mowers and fixing them up to resell. Most of the problems with these abused machines is lack of maintenance that is evidenced buy the layers and layers of grease, oil, dirt and grass. With my power-washer I can get the machines back to 90%, and the rest is with a brush, detergent, and careful inspection. Leaking oil, dripping gas, fouled electrical connectors, rubbed raw wires, loose nuts and bolts, etc are best found early. The $100 mower I bought is now my favorite and my keeper, and I must have found a dozen things wrong. Still one more thing to fix, once the weather improves and I get the breaker box fixed up to run the welder.

Just this past week I fixed two saws being used by a tree sevice company, Echo 355T and Husqvarna 261. Both on/off switches refused to shut the engine down so they had to be choked off. For the 355T, so much grime had accumulated in the switch area that the mechanism could not mechanically open it up. A good cleaning and reassembly fixed that. For the 261, the grime near the coil had forced the connection to the kill wire apart, so the switch was disabled. Once again, a good clean up in the crucial areas is all that was needed. I have to wonder if most of the electrical problens that saws have could be fixed by cleaning. Excellent thread by MontanaResident.

For a while last year I was buying riding mowers and fixing them up to resell. Most of the problems with these abused machines is lack of maintenance that it evidenced buy the layers and layers of grease, oil, dirt and grass. With my power-washer I can get the machines back to 90%, and the rest is with a brush, detergent, and careful inspection. Leaking oil, dripping gas, fouled electrcal connectors, rubbed raw wires, loose nuts and bolts, etc are best found early. The $100 mower I bought is now my favorite and my keeper, and I must have found a dozen things wrong. Still one more thing to fix, once the weather improves and I get the breaker box fixed up to run the welder.
Did you put put tape on the deck to make cleaning it easier?

I do have a hard time in judging absolutely stupid shiet comments/questions vs. ill fated attempts at humor. This is an example.

I found it to be a legitimate question and along the same lines of taping exterior front faces of chainsaw crankcases to stop dirt and debris, if you taped the inside of the mower deck, same result.
Why do you have this perception everyone is out to get you?

Back