Kind of narrowed it down.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pick up a Dolmar 5105 pro saw for the price of that 311 and don't look back!

That is is if you're not stuck on Stihl?

Sent from my XT881

Last edited:
Pick up a Dolmar 5105 pro saw for the price or that 311 and don't look back!

That is is if you're not stuck on Stihl?

Sent from my XT881

Or the Dolmar 510.

The 510 is a detuned 5105 and is almost 100$ cheaper. 510 for homeowner, and 5105 if you really want a little more power and less weight.

Both are homeowner saws but the decision would depend on the size of wood to be cut. The 250 with a 16" bar could be used on trees up to 24" max but 14" and under would be ideal. The 14" and under is perfect for firewood and the 250 is light and nimble for just that use. If the primary use will be trees 20"-35" then the 311 should be your choice. The 250 wont pull an 18 well but a 16 is just fine. The 311 will pull a 20 well but the 18 will be a little short for the power it makes. Now for my opinions: The 250 is an excellent saw for a homeowner who only uses a saw for the ocassional load of wood. As for the 311 I have no use for a saw that size and would not recommend it based on what I do. Obviously people do use saws that size but I dont. I do use saws in the 250 power range and carry one almost everywhere I go.

Hopefully some of that helps.

I am stuck on buying a STIHL.

I was leaning towards the MS250, as I'm sure that it will do what I need done, and it's quite a bit less money as well.

Part of me says to buy a much larger saw, but I know in the back of my mind, I'd never come near to being able to use it to it's full potential.

I'm proud of me for being so rational on all of this. :biggrin:

To either an MS250 or an MS311.

I feel I will do well with either. The MS250 w/18" bar is $299.00

The MS311 w/18" bar is $489.00

So....for homeowner use, am I looking at the right saws?

You are in deep truble then - the ol' Pest or Colera desision....

Not sure it matters, but the 18" bar for the 250 is about 16", and the one for the 311 about 17 1/2"...

A MS 250 should do you well...especially for just homeowner chores - At $299...a good price

I would have the dealer exchange the 18" bar/chain it comes with stock for 16" set-up.

I wouldn't pay that for a 311...maybe a MS 290 for $380 with an 18" bar/chain set-up.
:cheers:
J2F

I don't have a 311 but I do have all the others and you wouldn't go wrong with any of them.

If you're stuck on Stihl, look for a clean used 026 or 260. My dealer talked me into a 290 when I was looking for a 250. The 290 is a boat anchor, and the 250 is just a lighter, less powerful saw. The 311 replaces the 310 which was only a bit more powerful than the 290. I WISH they would have steered me towards a 260.

if you're stuck on stihl, look for a clean used 026 or 260. My dealer talked me into a 290 when i was looking for a 250. The 290 is a boat anchor, and the 250 is just a lighter, less powerful saw. The 311 replaces the 310 which was only a bit more powerful than the 290. I wish they would have steered me towards a 260.

x2

I'm no chainsaw expert, but I'm more familiar with STIHL than any other brand.

And, there's seems to be a lot more STIHL dealers around than any other brand.

Truth be told, money is not the problem. I just want to be honest and buy a saw that will not be overkill. It will be used occasionally and for just a few hours at a time.

Here a couple MS 250 I have and both have 18"b/c here in PNW

DSC_9345.jpg

There great homeowner saw's I've put several gallons of fuel thru them this summer :msp_smile:

Get the 250. I have one and love it for the price, would take it over a 290 or 311. I learned here how to muffler mod it and it will run with a well used 260. Too many guys here think if you dont have a pro model saw that it will break easily and never last. Thats crazy, theres millions of homeowner grade stihls and husky's out there that have been abused for years and still run. The most important thing to remember is to use fresh gas, clean the air filter regularly, and most importantly...... LEARN TO SHARPEN A CHAIN PROPERLY! Enjoy your new saw:rock:

Latest posts

Back