knuckleboom crane truck

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
aefcd225-fc59-1c93.jpg

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

just some pictures to show you where not really babying the body either. those logs where around 60 foot from the truck.

Nice pics, Matt.

Wasn't trying to down on your purchase as it's obviously a bad ass truck and I'm envious as all get out, just an observation is all. I really want to see it up close. What you got going on next week?

Wasn't trying to down on your purchase as it's obviously a bad ass truck and I'm envious as all get out, just an observation is all. I really want to see it up close. What you got going on next week?

good time to come down we are clearing a hillside of around 200 trees at the moment just started it today its a fun job to see this stuff on we have a 60 ton grove rented out for 2+ months we get paid by the day so i guessed it would take 2-3 months. the homeowners insurance was dropped on like 30 homes because of thies trees falling over so before they will re issue insurance they all have to come out.

just some pictures to show you where not really babying the body either. those logs where around 60 foot from the truck.

I bought one from them when they were in North Jersey 6 years ago and didn't line it , I have no dents at all on the outside from wood , the only thing is they were chincy with the marker and tailights and the corners of my body have bled rust stains now because they must use a cheap caulk over the weld other than that they are a great body I paid 6800.00 for the body alone and I am so glad that I went with that truck it is a great all around setup

View attachment 205580 Kind of a far away pic but its a good truck and the body is bigger than a ASPLUNGER 11fter

Ya i just liked the guy thats pretty much what sealed the deal he wasnt trying to push a truck on me actually talked me out of spending more money. the effer guy was a different story was always trying to show me 400k trucks that i wasnt interested in. im definetly planning on building another one with him.

some people on ******** where under the usumption that he bought the bodies so in that case someone might be making junk bodies that are confused with his because i have seen very similar designs. to find a guy that can put a truck like mine toghether is hard i wouldnt condisider anyone else if i was building one.

im in the process of making some videos of it i gotta get the hd helmet camera out of the box and try it out.

next spring if things keep working out im thinking of mounting one of thier 500 plus series loaders on a truck thier comparable to a 40 ton crane when picking at 100+ feet. the hard part wich im finding out now is finding a truck that can handle it.

the gvw has to be over 70500 so your limited. the road im looking at now is puting it on the back of a 3 axle semi.

Ya i just liked the guy thats pretty much what sealed the deal he wasnt trying to push a truck on me actually talked me out of spending more money. the effer guy was a different story was always trying to show me 400k trucks that i wasnt interested in. im definetly planning on building another one with him.

some people on ******** where under the usumption that he bought the bodies so in that case someone might be making junk bodies that are confused with his because i have seen very similar designs. to find a guy that can put a truck like mine toghether is hard i wouldnt condisider anyone else if i was building one.

im in the process of making some videos of it i gotta get the hd helmet camera out of the box and try it out.

next spring if things keep working out im thinking of mounting one of thier 500 plus series loaders on a truck thier comparable to a 40 ton crane when picking at 100+ feet. the hard part wich im finding out now is finding a truck that can handle it.

the gvw has to be over 70500 so your limited. the road im looking at now is puting it on the back of a 3 axle semi.

The only thing that I have noticed is that a piece of wood hits the center of the barn doors when they are closed from time to time that will pop the lock on the drivers side , but they have the safety chain in the middle so they have never really bounced open , but my lock is also 6 years old

ill have to get a pic of it dumping that bed stands straight up and down it has one of those trunion telescoping pistons in it its pretty sweet looking. its amazing what you can lift with it even at max exstension. o and when i said 15g's for the bed thats the piston and mounting it the whole nine yards, hydralics exct.

Last edited:
It's a sweet piece Matt!

I stopped by Matts place this morning and saw his new crane. Most impressive! It's very compact, folded up it only takes about a meter of space behind the cab. I'm looking forward to seeing it in action. The bed cap is a work of art too. The thing is way too pretty to beat up though, I'm sure Matt will be handling it with kid gloves (when can i have a turn!).

Seriously, great purchase Matt, you'll never have to worry about roughing up the landscaping with that picking' um up and placin' um in the truck.

I stopped by Matts place this morning and saw his new crane. Most impressive! It's very compact, folded up it only takes about a meter of space behind the cab. I'm looking forward to seeing it in action. The bed cap is a work of art too. The thing is way too pretty to beat up though, I'm sure Matt will be handling it with kid gloves (when can i have a turn!).

Seriously, great purchase Matt, you'll never have to worry about roughing up the landscaping with that picking' um up and placin' um in the truck.

thanks i love it i dont see how it could get any better as a truck. let me know when work stops this year gotta get that hillside cleared 6 people bid it and no one would even give them a price. lewis, davey and a few others walked away from it. gonna be ineterested picking over the house then a set of powerlines off a hillside.

Matching GVW with the type of truck

I'm a bit surprised your new truck has only a single axle. A few questions: is the GVW 33,000 lbs? how much does the truck weigh (including the grapple arm)? what's the load capacity? and how much is the back axle rated for? I have been looking into buying a grapple truck for a while now and those 14-16 foot dump boxes with the tops seat controls (like those at Timberland) look well suited for the tree service business, but they look like they would be easy to overload with only one axle.

I'm a bit surprised your new truck has only a single axle. A few questions: is the GVW 33,000 lbs? how much does the truck weigh (including the grapple arm)? what's the load capacity? and how much is the back axle rated for? I have been looking into buying a grapple truck for a while now and those 14-16 foot dump boxes with the tops seat controls (like those at Timberland) look well suited for the tree service business, but they look like they would be easy to overload with only one axle.

GVW is stamped at 35,000. it would be real easy to overload with oak or other heavy wood with just chips or pine logs its almost impossible. payload can be around 15k since truck weighs around 10 ton. total payload could be 40k without damaging the truck. just depends on if where you live you run across alot of scales gotta kinda be smart when loading it up.

tandem axle trucks are ideal for hauling alot of wood but the added expense that goes with them is alot. the plates for a tandem are alot and since we have enough trucks to load with the Kboom its not really an issue we just put two or three trucks side by side if we got that much wood and load them all with that truck.

the price difference between a tandem when buying is really a deal breaker also around 40-50g's for something decent. if i went tandem i would have had over 200 thousand in a rig. saved a couple bucks and got the same thing by going single.

this is going to be the smaller of two rigs also, the other build will be on a triaxle so i didnt wanna make them both cost a mint. this rig is kinda the try it and see if we absolutly love it before i shell out some seriouse $$ on one istead of buying a stick crane.

so far with what im seeing you could definetly replace a stick crane with one of the 500 series or larger cranes.

Nice truck Matt! Congrats!
How are you tying into the boom?

if im using the winch it actually has a ball for it so you can put a shackle above that. but when just booming stuff out i tie in around the pin that is used the hold the hook on. not sure if thiers any science to it on a kboom yet but seems bullet proof to me. when using the pin to tie in thiers no way it can come out or come undone its also a very smooth surface.

if im using the winch it actually has a ball for it so you can put a shackle above that. but when just booming stuff out i tie in around the pin that is used the hold the hook on. not sure if thiers any science to it on a kboom yet but seems bullet proof to me. when using the pin to tie in thiers no way it can come out or come undone its also a very smooth surface.

Is that your truck in the tree trader mag this month , he had a int. and what looks like a new KW setup much like yours , maybe you should consider that twin screw for a while , they are some big money to maintain and when you do tires you'll be doing 4 more forever .

Is that your truck in the tree trader mag this month , he had a int. and what looks like a new KW setup much like yours , maybe you should consider that twin screw for a while , they are some big money to maintain and when you do tires you'll be doing 4 more forever .

Not sure i dont get the magazine usually just look at it online it could possibly be a picture of mine. im confused with the rest of your post.

-maybe you should consider that twin screw for a while , they are some big money to maintain and when you do tires you'll be doing 4 more forever -

^^^ thats the part im lost with explain when you get a chance i read it over a few times just cant lock on to what your saying.

Tandem Axles?

"maybe you should consider that twin screw for a while "

^^^ thats the part im lost with explain when you get a chance i read it over a few times just cant lock on to what your saying.

I think he's talking about dual axles in back, but maybe he means a date with sisters. :hmm3grin2orange:

Back