land clearing with husqvarna 365sp & 440xtorq

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
quote: (scarescore)

logger I cant understand why you take a lesser price for white-torn and beech as they are also two fantastic firewood timbers especially the white-torn I would be charging more for that have you tried burning it yourself good heat and it last ages

to be honest i have tried as you said the higher prices,i actually started off at 90euros a bag of ash,i might aswell have been trying to sell sand to an arab.... i think people just don't have much money these days,my prices now are at there peak,of course until the roads become bad with snow and frost,then i will hold all the cards to hand ;)

yeah,agreed the beech and whitethorn are great,yeah i hear you the whitethorn is as good as ash,but people just think ash is much better than all the rest and some won't pay as much for the w/thorn and beech,they just assume it's far lesser wood,then you have those that know there timber and will pay for it..

another load out today,two tonne bags of spruce and one of ASH,that large spruce tree is just too tough to split so i just cut it all with the 365sp,it flies through it and the finished wood looks the nuts!
i cut em nice and big too,easy for the customers to split later too if the want.

picsfromarborist003.jpg

cut another good few slices off it today,getting small now!!

picsfromarborist005.jpg

it's time to drop another 90ft spruce me thinks :)

picsfromarborist001.jpg

picsfromarborist002.jpg

picsfromarborist003-1.jpg

picsfromarborist004.jpg

picsfromarborist005-1.jpg

yeah,it's a fine tree,was a shame really to cut it up for firewood,but it pays the bills....something has to these days!!

sometimes i cut trees down and go...( ahh such a shame) but what can i do,the farmer wants them gone,i suppose it's time to make something of the farm and clean the place up.

but yeah,would have made great commercial use.

so scarescore,where are you from?
you busy these days?

Can you guys get meteor P&C kits over there, there was a thread on the 372 kit here a while ago and they seem to be good quality. I would prefer the meteor piston also as the cheaper ones can wear out prematurely. The no name brands on ebay can be a bit hit and miss...

I'm farming down in the north tipp and as for busy the days are too short
it's a shame to cut down some old trees but you've got to do what you got to do go back there in a couple of years you will probably find lots of little pine seedlings starting to grow once you let the light in

i agree,the days are very short for firewood work,down on top of that i got to make the school run every morning with my son who is 7years old,so it's always a 9:30 ish start for us,dark at 4:30 then....

hey rudolf,

check out this aftermarket kit i used from emas last year on my fathers .61,it only cost 81 euros,i thought i was excellent quality... it's still going strong for him a year later,and after a few tanks it really opened up,it is no differnt to the origional for power..

http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/189527.htm

Can you guys get meteor P&C kits over there, there was a thread on the 372 kit here a while ago and they seem to be good quality. I would prefer the meteor piston also as the cheaper ones can wear out prematurely. The no name brands on ebay can be a bit hit and miss...

hi Rudolf when I was buying I checked out Bailey's online which had meteor kits they also have a review section and the review wasn't good. the guy on eBay has loads of good reviews for his cylinder kits and some from the states that's why I went with him. i never rebuilt a chainsaw before and don't really know much about engines I basically took it out of the box and put it on the saw. it works perfect with lots of power and compression. without the decompression valve it would probably break the rope and it's not even run a yet :D

hi Rudolf when I was buying I checked out Bailey's online which had meteor kits they also have a review section and the review wasn't good. the guy on eBay has loads of good reviews for his cylinder kits and some from the states that's why I went with him. i never rebuilt a chainsaw before and don't really know much about engines I basically took it out of the box and put it on the saw. it works perfect with lots of power and compression. without the decompression valve it would probably break the rope and it's not even run a yet :D

Randy put up a review on the newer kits. He seems to think they are OK. Brad put up some random stuff in his thread about them, but hasn't backed it up with any new information in years. I decided to go with the 77cc kit from a bud of mine on AS that has gotten stellar reviews - even stock. I'll only blend the lowers and some of the ports, and leave out the gasket if I can find some decent gasket goo here in Ireland... I may have to have sumfin sent over from England. Any place in tipp where I can get decent chainsaw/small engine equipment?

ok back on topic :D

had a busy day today,this is the last load of this spruce tree that went out today,bag of ash and pine this morning to a man in limerick city and two bags of ash this evening to a man also in the same area.

cutting up the last of that large old spruce

arboristhorse001.jpg

dropped a large beech tree here today too and an ASH,all big trees now from here on.

arboristhorse002.jpg

arboristhorse003.jpg

arboristhorse004.jpg

arboristhorse005.jpg

arboristhorse006.jpg

the last of that large 85ft tall spruce,time to drop another tomorrow maybe

arboristhorse007.jpg

the axe is a hickory american made axe,but to be honest i havn't a clue who made it....
it's a great axe though,seriously good for splitting...i havn't used my log splitter in 6months...

had a tough/HARD day today,we got out with the first load this morning and things went good,we made it back good and early to get a second load sorted,i got a phone call from the farmer to give him a hand down lower in to the land,place is a disgrace with water :( one of his ponies lastnight tried to jump a ditch,when she did she broke through the fence and got trapped in between a few trees and landed in a swampy patch of ground,we couldn't get any veichle in at all,a tractor wouldn't have made it out,we used ropes to drag her out,she was still alive,i was the only help the farmer had,the two of use pulled her out,F##k was she heavy!!!! was a tough job,my back almost had it,to make things worse we had to use long ropes, itwas a NIGHTMARE to even put on the ropes because you were sinking in the swamp....
when we finally got her moving it WAS A GREAT feeling!! just to pull her out free,finally it got easier she slid out in the mud...
pulled her free and she laid resting in the shelter of a tree,but we knew the old girl wasn't well,she must have been caught there all night :frown:

after a few injections to bring her around,and a final go a hour later with 'rapid responce' (best product here to revive) we decided to go and get some covers and go get a veichle and take her to the barns for some shelter where she might have come around,i'm afraid by the time we got back it was too late,she had passed away.... :frown::frown:

sad,sad thing to see....

in fairness to the farmer (land owner) he does everything for them,they are well fed with no expense spared.

at least i feel good because we tried our best and at the end of the day that's all we could do...

these nights i feel my arms very sore in bed,it must be from the 365sp,they are making it hard for me to sleep....
even though i stretch them before bed it's not much use,this i think is my only ailment from chainsaw use.
been very tired the last few days at work.

tomorrow could be a fresher day.

logger

Last edited:
I know the feeling. Many folks do not appreciate the benefit of decent AV unless they use their saws 5X40. And even then, you still get white finger, etc.

That blue looks a little light to be a Collins axe, unless the flash is making it light. I am considering an Elko axe since a UK supplier has em at decent prices. The local shop just has crap for quality. They aren't even good for beating wedges.

Last edited by a moderator:
hi reindeer,

i find with the large pines/spruce and softwoods i just cut them all up with the chainsaw,i find the softwood the very worst for axe splitting,too many knots on it,hence why we cut the rings narrow....easier splitting,that and the size suits most customers,even cutting them this narrow you can leave them wider which in turn lets you with still a large size log if needed.

the hardwoods are a dream "crunch" with the axe,we never have no problems,that axe i got i must say is awesome,american made hickory,it sure has seen some abuse and is mighty tough....

we were working today,was tired as hell,but had a productive day,we moved to another location and found some more fantastic ash trees,we just needed to cut two limbs off one of the trees and we filled two tonne bags for the order today,was fast enough with the 440xtorque,that saw is a mighty limber.
just finished up now at 6pm

we have now decided to mix up the beech and whitethorn in future with orders for ASH and keep the price the same,it will just make each ASH tree go further,i think that was mentioned by scarescore here too,good observation.well we were selling another option of mixed hardwood a little cheaper with no ash,but now i am going to do away with that and just sell the lot of the hardwoods mixed.

two saws are going great anyway,no problems,the clutch sprocket on the 365sp after all this work isn't showing much signs of wear even..bloody good saws IMO!! :msp_thumbup:

tomorrow we will drop the brother of that large spruce,this one i think could be taller maybe around 90ft,i am going to try and drop it upwards towards our cutting spot with wedges to make for less walking with the rings,as this one is set on an incline so if it falls the other way it will make for a lot of unnecessary work,it's a little further in to the woods than the other one i cut.
spruce selling good here at the mo.....

will have some footage of it tomorrow evening,unlike the last time the battery going flat on the camera :) LOL

Last edited:
Back