land clearing with husqvarna 365sp & 440xtorq

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
would love to be there to see that spruce comedown sounds like you could do with a good quad bike and small trailer to haul the lengths to road no wonder your arms are feeling the pain
good to hear upping your prices a bit sounds like you have it well earned

reindeer you could try the husqvarna center in Thurles I got a few bits of them clip washer bearing and skinny oring for €10 which I thought was pretty good. let me know if you want the number

to be honest scarescore,i don't think anything would travel in to the woods here,if weather improved and place dried up it would be a good idea the quad,after all we'r in ireland....
we have to handle every ring me and the missus out of the woods right now until the weather and ground dries,but it's not as hard as it sounds,we love it,one way to keep fit....

i like to take a break from the saws and get my hands full,this is only here though where the spruce tree is,that part is the main woods,in january i will have a new winch and will pull all the trees up to the passage out of the woods,tonnes of fine big ash trees there,few years work...
then there is another side of the land down by the railway,some trees there too....beech,ash and even oak.that will be next year i think. we are working out a deal on that already ;)

that's why i got the digger in recently to clear a new passage back another side of it,we were there today and that's a breath of fresh air cause they are all been dropped out on the passage in front of us...handy enough,we just set up a spot and start cutting and filling the bags.

all my wood is going out fresh all the time,i don't sell any seasoned wood,they ask but all i say is it's ash and you can burn it fine fresh,it's so hard to get that people don't care.

but i'm afraid that spruce the whole lot of it,like the other one has to be manually lifted out of the woods :dizzy:
lol

Next time you do that spruce, cross cut it to the lengths you need, but do not cut all the way through the wood - mebbe 90-95%. Then noodle it and it will easily fall apart into the chunks that you need. Sort of how yer meant to do onions and tomatoes when you dice them.

Husqvarna 3120 noodling and tree felling video.wmv - YouTube

hi reindeer,

this is the way i cut the spruce,except i didn't cross cut it like you said,couldn't be bothered trying to hold that 365 sideways lol
took the easy way out of it ;)

it was a COLD start today here....BRRRRR....

-3arborist001.jpg

-3arborist002.jpg

everyday we arrive at the woods this same robin red breast meets us and follows us in...

-3arborist004.jpg

-3arborist005.jpg

another two bags of ash out today,ash and beech mixed.

-3arborist006.jpg

it's a tough job to get in here to this part of the land

-3arborist007.jpg

-3arborist008.jpg

was a nice dry day today,you should see it in a bad day....

-3arborist009.jpg

Last edited:
and two more bags of ash/beech ready today

-3arborist010.jpg

didn't get time today to cut the spruce,must do it tomorrow if i can get the time,reason i need to is i have demand now the end of this week for some of it and i need to cut up the remaining stump of the other spruce.

we are NOT cutting everytree here,mainly thinning now as we move deeper in to the woods,i don't touch the holly trees,and i leave some whitethorn trees behind.even though we are only thinning i will have firewood here i think for the rest of my life please god.

Last edited:
today was another mighty busy one,hadn't time to drop that other large spruce,will have to in the morning though as we are running low on softwoods now,in the meantime today we got out with a full load,3bags,one bag of ash and beech,one bag of softwood and one bag of beech & whitethorn.

cut more from that large spruce stump.some wood in it.

was time to invest in new oregon gloves as my other ones were worn out.

arboristnewgloves001.jpg

then grabbed the 445xtorque and droped some ash trees.quite large actually was far wider than bar length of 15"
was no problem for it though.great little saw.

arboristnewgloves002.jpg

arboristnewgloves003.jpg

tree was up above us,so dead handy only to drop it on the passage way.

arboristnewgloves004.jpg

the curse of IVY.....

arboristnewgloves005.jpg

amazing ASH

arboristnewgloves006.jpg

arboristnewgloves007.jpg

stump looks smaller and narrower now cause i have one end of it cut right to the ground,i'm standing on it

arboristnewgloves020.jpg

arboristnewgloves021.jpg

was some cutting in it,and not yet finished.

arboristnewgloves022.jpg

ok tomorrow a customers order needs to be loaded up (full tralier of spruce) he don't want it bagged,again easier for us,my first port of call tomorrow is grab the wedges,axe and 365sp and drop that other large spruce.
video will be in order and lot of pics.
hope all goes safe,it's going to be a toughie as it sort of wants to fall opposite to the direction i want it to fall so it will need some coaxing with wedges to fall it.

-logger

felling 90ft tall spruce

ok had a productive day,dropped this massive 90foot tall spruce,it went great,took a little planning to get everything right,as it was on a slope it was dangerous,i also needed it to fall upwards towards where we were cutting to make life easier later.
i am dying sick all day with a flu,sore throat and just feeling sick,i rarely get sick,but i have been for the last few days,getting a little better now,it probably wasn't the best day to tackle this job for that reason,but never the less we got it sorted and job done safely.
the chain on my 365sp could have done with a fresh sharpen before the job but i wasn't going back up to the entrance again after i walked down near the tree,damn 365 is too heavy to be lugging around in the mud,and i forgot to sharpen it this morning....:D it was fine though,i have seen the chains on it get far worse....

this is the second massive spruce i have dropped now in the last two weeks.
i hope you enjoy the video.

[video=dailymotion;xvvboz]http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xvvboz_large-spruce-falling-90ft-tall_shortfilms[/video]

nice job that does look like a monster glad you got it down safely
are you getting any complaints since you increased the prices for the mixed bags

nice job that does look like a monster glad you got it down safely
are you getting any complaints since you increased the prices for the mixed bags

cheers!

no people say nothing,see it's all a gamble with firewood,it's hard to find a balance,i wanted 85e per bag of ASH,when i did put the price up to that the calls just didn't come in....was a pain in the backside,i thought my phone was broken for a while ...

people won't pay much more,ever call i get the usual routine is i ask "how many bags do you want?" they tell me,then it's x amount per bag and minimum of 20euros delivery...

thing about firewood is you will make money now today but a lot of expense goes out,jeep tyres,insurance,tax,good solid tralier,chainsaws in fairness are low maintainence for me as i do the lot myself,petrol is gone expensive and i always use the best chainoils i can get,never had any incidents THANK GOD as a result....

there is money in firewood but a LOT of work in it.to be honest this time of year i am wrecked from it.

the worst thing this year was,ok on this land the farmer gets a annual grant from the department of the envoirnment,he is allowed clean up the land,so this work is all legit,but we need to be carefull about the times we work here,for example this year from may to september on and off, was pretty much stop cutting here due to the birds and wildlife etc.

that was fine but it was disasterous for firewood stocking,i had a massive stock back in may,it SOLD pretty much all during the summer,you know the demand for hardwoods in ireland!!? anyway,this meant i had no stock,so i needed to wait for the season to be right for me to get the all clear again to go ahead and work on,(in september) from then on i got no chance to stock up anything,it was selling as fast as we cut it,yeah that's great but the work is hard.....
everyday serious tough going...

selling a minimum of 30 tonne bags of firewood a week is rewarding but hard work.

firewood is a good buisness in ireland right now,everyone is fitting stoves cause oil prices are a joke!

timber is always hard work the commercial end of forestry used to be very hard work once upon a time the machines they have now for it are more comfortable than a top of the range car. had look inside one lately when I had to do a little bit of welding on a forwarder awesome machines maybe you should trade-in the 365 for Harvester & forwarder :msp_biggrin:

to get around the cutting ban you could knock enough of trees in April to keep you going for the summer there is no ban on cutting them up

timber is always hard work the commercial end of forestry used to be very hard work once upon a time the machines they have now for it are more comfortable than a top of the range car. had look inside one lately when I had to do a little bit of welding on a forwarder awesome machines maybe you should trade-in the 365 for Harvester & forwarder :msp_biggrin:

to get around the cutting ban you could knock enough of trees in April to keep you going for the summer there is no ban on cutting them up

haha,yeah those harvesters are awesome,they make the work look easy!!

no point having trees dropped,in the offseason a chainsaw can't be left neat the place,nor can we even be in here with veichles,it's a lot about the hen harrier now too,he needs to be encouraged as much as possible.... ;)

ok was another busy day in the woods,it is also shooting season so we are dodging bullets here all week :wink2:
various differnt groups of lads are arriving and just walking through the land with there guns hunting woodcock,they are impressed with the amount clearing that has been done here in just a year.

Hunting male trees? I just don't get it.:ices_rofl::ices_rofl:

ok was another busy day in the woods,it is also shooting season so we are dodging bullets here all week :wink2:
various differnt groups of lads are arriving and just walking through the land with there guns hunting woodcock,they are impressed with the amount clearing that has been done here in just a year.

Hunting male trees? I just don't get it.:ices_rofl::ices_rofl:

it is a bit like a woodpecker just bigger

had another busy few days,mainly working on hardwood right now,they are more popular than softwood,however
i did get around to cutting up some more of that second large spruce yesterday.it's massive.....

place is horribly wet,lucky to be able to do anything at all,the wettest i have seen it all year.
i'm still smothered with this cold,getting better now though.

recentupdates024_zps5c48164c.jpg

bringing over some ash to be cut up and bagged.

recentupdates023_zpsa92ca3f2.jpg

recentupdates022_zpsb5b50171.jpg

two bags of that second spruce cut up and delivered to another very happy customer.

recentupdates019_zps102316ba.jpg

recentupdates022_zpsb5b50171.jpg

recentupdates021_zps3b4c70cb.jpg

recentupdates020_zpsb71d08d4.jpg

noodles.....

recentupdates018_zpsfb8b1fac.jpg

when i cut large slices off the big spruce i noodle it then.

recentupdates017_zps7a0bd1b0.jpg

recentupdates016_zpsf245a05a.jpg

spruce was hard enough to cut it,very knotted,but wasn't much bother to the 365sp,more than enough power,one thing i had to do was cut the tree in the center,it fell on a slope,so it was bananna shapped laying on the ground and was wedging the saw a little,when i cut it to relive it,then all was good to go.

recentupdates015_zps861cbc53.jpg

recentupdates014_zps59bce623.jpg

recentupdates013_zps6c90eae5.jpg

recentupdates011_zpsb9f866ed.jpg

recentupdates011_zpsb9f866ed.jpg

recentupdates010_zpsffe63b44.jpg

Back