Latest treasures well maybe not real good treasure...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff Lary

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
A friend gave me these last week and I brought them home yesterday. He said he though the wild thing may run but he was told the craftsman would not start. He was just adding them to his pile of scrap and was planning on just taking them apart to separate the materials for the junk yard.IMG_1529.JPG IMG_1530.JPG IMG_1531.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1532.JPG
    IMG_1532.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 32
Hey you can't beat the price! Every time someone walks up to me and says, "Hey I'm going to throw this saw in the trash..do you want it?" I say,"Uh....YES!" I have a couple of them that needed a carb cleaning and new fuel. They run like brand new! It's pretty amazing how nice you can make a really crud covered saw look with compressed air, a little elbow grease, and some rags!
If you are wanting to flip saws for a profit, you don't want to go beyond a carb rebuild, fuel lines, and cleaning when it comes to the Poulan and Craftsman saws. The market just won't support it...even though they are often really nice saws. I have a Poulan 2775 on my bench now that I have spent a few dollars on...and probably won't make any profit...but, dog-gone-it, I'm gonna make it run anyway!!!:D
Nice catch there Jeff!

Very decent limbing saws. Open the muffler slots. Can get a new carb for $9 or a whole fuel delivery kit for $12. Search "poulan 2050 carburetor".

thanks for the interest and advice, yes I take on all comers with free saws. I know because I got them for free I paid all they are probably worth. I like to have something to tinker on I have a green? poulan for some spare parts too maybe a handle as the wild thing seems to have had a repair.

Them are a quick fuel system overhaul and throw on C’list for sixty bucks.

Beyond that, not worth my time.
6f6cbba70d9e44c65f54342c37bf6904.jpg

Well they both run good now.
The Craftsman had rotten fuel and primer lines. When I opened up the tank there were pieces of line that had failed lengthwise I have never seen that before. I put new line on and blew the filter out. Then I replaced the duck bill and primed her up a few times and she runs like a clock. I don’t know what was in the oil tank but it was thicker than warm molasses. So I washed out the tank with some mixed gas now she is ready for the wood pile.

The wild thing is running as well its issues were an easy fix “ so far” it had loosely fitted fuel lines from the primer bulb to the carb and tank. I cut each off a ¼ inch and put em back on. The inside of the air box behind the foam filter there was an awful lot of saw dust and grime so I was pretty sure the carb had sucked some inside. Usually bad news However in this case the carb was spotless on the inside. Go figure? While I had the carb off I tore it down and found a stiffened fuel pump diaphragm so I happened to have a new carb kit in my new parts draw here,… pays to have new stuff around. I had a kit that fit perfectly I also changed the fuel metering lever and needle valve too. When I got it all back together I primed it a couple times and she fired right up. It does have a broken chain brake band and I have never tried to replace one of those before. I do have a junked out yellow Poulan Pro that has a working chain brake so I will either swap them with each other or try to take the components out of one for the repair of the other. I hate to just do a swap ( if it will even bolt up?) because the cool Purple one would be switched out for a yellow one.

Well they both run good now.
The Craftsman had rotten fuel and primer lines. When I opened up the tank there were pieces of line that had failed lengthwise I have never seen that before. I put new line on and blew the filter out. Then I replaced the duck bill and primed her up a few times and she runs like a clock. I don’t know what was in the oil tank but it was thicker than warm molasses. So I washed out the tank with some mixed gas now she is ready for the wood pile.

The wild thing is running as well its issues were an easy fix “ so far” it had loosely fitted fuel lines from the primer bulb to the carb and tank. I cut each off a ¼ inch and put em back on. The inside of the air box behind the foam filter there was an awful lot of saw dust and grime so I was pretty sure the carb had sucked some inside. Usually bad news However in this case the carb was spotless on the inside. Go figure? While I had the carb off I tore it down and found a stiffened fuel pump diaphragm so I happened to have a new carb kit in my new parts draw here,… pays to have new stuff around. I had a kit that fit perfectly I also changed the fuel metering lever and needle valve too. When I got it all back together I primed it a couple times and she fired right up. It does have a broken chain brake band and I have never tried to replace one of those before. I do have a junked out yellow Poulan Pro that has a working chain brake so I will either swap them with each other or try to take the components out of one for the repair of the other. I hate to just do a swap ( if it will even bolt up?) because the cool Purple one would be switched out for a yellow one.

I will send you one if you can`t make one work. I get them dropped off often but refuse to fix them.

Ok that may be the way I have to go I will let you know. I think they are kind of fun to work on. "I know simple aint I?" The Craftsman is a much more cheaply made saw than the wild one. The wild one has throttle linkage not one of those sucky throttle cables. The wild one has an albeit "non working" chain brake the craftsman has none. I just think you don't recognize greatness when you see it Jerry. I hear they are all the rage in the PNW you my boy are just a saw snob ha ha

They are high quality,..NOT! I can`t give them away fast enough so some just find their way into the load lugger bins we send building scrap away in, hardly have enough room here for my good saws. I seldom ever fix one for anyone, give them away if they can be made to run with fresh fuel and a tank filter.

they are the Charlie Brown Christmas tree of the saw world. Well next time you drive to my house fill your pick up truck with them I will give em a good home.

Your border guys are a nightmare about things like that, been there, if you were on this side I could save you up a load. So many of these saws are treated as disposables, I have saved bars and chains off them that didn`t even have a scratch in the paint, chain never sharpened from new.

wish you were closer I need a bar and chain for the wild thing. I think it should have had a 16" bar (maybe).. but it has an 18"bar of course with safety chain as well. I guess people equate the power of the saw with the length of the bar. That looks impressive to the home depot shopper I guess. The bar has big worn out spots just before the tip on both sides. I assume he ran it with a very loose chain,.. and chain slap wore out the bar.

I think those bars are rather soft and the chain is mostly junk but eventually someone wants one for their fantastic plastic saw that has survived somehow for a few years and I give them a set to keep it cutting. Most of those saws have a longer bar on them than they should have, many people still equate a saws size by its bar length, false thinking there. The 026 is the smallest saw I use most of the time, I have them with 14, 16, 18 and 20" bars, very versatile saws. I hardly ever take out a smaller saw unless cutting trail, one that fits in my backpack comes in handy for that chore.

ok I gotta ask what is the back pack saw

Small Makita, DCS340. With a 12" bar it will fit inside my pack frame backpack. Makes it easier to carry 4 hour walk into the backwoods. 4 hours in plus 4 hours out, don`t want to carry a saw any larger than absolutely necessary.

Not my saw but one pict I found off the net.

DCS340.jpg

Back