Let me introduce you to "Sheldon" more specifially "The Sheldon Cord" !!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Let me try to get this thru your thick skull one last time.

The argument was about 3 face cords in a pickup truck bed. The standard accepted definition of a face cord is a 4' x 8' stack of whatever the length of the log is. Another accepted standard is a 16" log length leaving 3 face cords in a cord. If you go to a 24" log (the longest common firewood length) then 2 face cords is a cord and 3 face cords would be a cord and a half.

Now for the second part of the equation; a standard truck bed is 8' long with 4' between the wheelwells and about 5.3' wide. Anything less than this is a shortbed, midsize, or compact truck. When you get into 1 ton and larger trucks, 8' is considered a shortbed, 10' a standard bed, and 12' a longbed. The manufacturers have played with weight ratings and bed sizes to jump the government regulations. Don't try to call a 4 door Nissan with a 5' long bed a standard bed truck. It is a glorified grocery getter/ kid hauler, that can pull a small boat and haul the trash off.

Now that we are clear on definitions so that a truck bed is 96" x 65" x 18" with a little less space for wheel wells, and 3 face cords equal 1 cord let's look if it will fit. A cord is 128 cu ft. Let's round up to 130 to make sure it will fit. Inside the bed we have 8' x 5.4' x 1.5' for a total of 67 cu ft. To be on the safe side take 7 cu ft off for the wheel wells leaving 60 cu ft in the bed. Now let's add some reasonable sideboards on the truck using the stake pockets that any actual truck has. So with some 20" sideboards we more than double the size of the bed by 72 cu ft. Now 72 + 60 = 132 cu ft. That is over the size of a cord or 3 face cords.

If you cut 24" firewood you need 3.5 ft sideboards to give you over 200 cu ft of space in the bed to hold over a cord and a half.

Now on to the weight. Most dry hardwood weights around 4000 lbs per cord. That is within the weight capacity of a 3/4 ton truck. Some softwood can weigh as little as 2000 lbs per cord putting it in the capacity of a 1/2 ton truck. Therefore you could put 2 cords of softwood on a 3/4 ton truck with neat stacking and tall sideboards. Even if you are hauling hardwoods you can still put a cord and a half on a 1 ton super duty with a 12 ft bed and reasonable sideboards without exceeding the GVWR.

Now if you want to continue changing the definition of a face cord to prove your point I can do that also. If I define a face cord as the length of cord it takes to wrap around your head until your face is completely covered. I can fit over 10 of those cords in the trunk of my car and another 20 in my back seat, with no sideboard and not over the 500 lbs payload capacity of my car.

You missed the point where I said most truck beds are short beds. 95% of the people that come to pick up wood drive a full sized double cab short bed. All I did was give the dimensions of "MY" truck bed and the average size of most that come pick up wood.
Your just being a little argumentative.

You missed the point where I said most truck beds are short beds. 95% of the people that come to pick up wood drive a full sized double cab short bed. All I did was give the dimensions of "MY" truck bed and the average size of most that come pick up wood.
Just forget about the whole debate .. a cord is a cord and slang terms like face , rick and rank are just nonsense.

I agree but most people have no concept of what a cord actually is and just accept what the wood guy tells them. Can’t count how many ads I’ve seen that a full cord is a heaping 8’ truck bed! :crazy:
I knew one guy that called that a "pick up cord".

Just forget about the whole debate .. a cord is a cord and slang terms like face , rick and rank are just nonsense.

I think selling by the pound is legit. They are closed now but a place near me both bought and sold wood by the pound. I have no idea what their scale system cost but it could hold a whole tractor trailer loaded with logs.

People could fill their trunks, trucks or trailers and all they had to do is to roll across the scale.

A very efficient operation.

I miss them as they would buy almost any kind of wood I had. Some stuff they didn't want if it was cut to odd lengths but they would take it for free.

I think selling by the pound is legit. They are closed now but a place near me both bought and sold wood by the pound. I have no idea what their scale system cost but it could hold a whole tractor trailer loaded with logs.

People could fill their trunks, trucks or trailers and all they had to do is to roll across the scale.

A very efficient operation.

I miss them as they would buy almost any kind of wood I had. Some stuff they didn't want if it was cut to odd lengths but they would take it for free.
I believe that campground bundles are sold by the pound correct?

I think in Ohio wood’s sold by fractions of a cord or by the lb...I guess if you had a scale and chart with what the wood you’re loading should weigh then bulk would be fine.

The only kind of wood sold around here that isn't sold by weight is firewood. Pulp, studs, logs...

Firewood could be too and is in some places on this earth.

Hey Del, I assume they had different prices for the different species of wood though? And did they do any kind of moisture check? I also assume the prices would be adjusted for the moisture content then? Field corn is done that way here, the "wet" corn is sampled for fines ( crap in the corn) and moisture content and then the value is based on that.

I am being argumentative? You can't do simple math. You keep changing definitions to prove your point. You don't want to admit that you are wrong and want to continue to be stupid when many of us have shown you where you are wrong.

I have owned full sized 1/2 ton trucks, both with long and short beds, compact trucks in both long and short beds, drove family and work trucks from shortbed extend cab compact trucks all the the way up to long nose Peterbuilt sleeper trucks with Payload capacities from 1000lbs all the way up to an ultralight daycab that could haul 54,000 lbs without permits. So when you say something stupid like most trucks are shortbeds I know better because I have driven them all.
Now if most of your firewood customers show up in a shortbed compact truck, I would not load more than a face cord on their truck. But when you say pickup truck, I think of the 1990 Chevy 2500 sitting in my driveway. I know not everyone lives in an area like mine where I own the smallest truck on my road. But those 4 door 1/2 ton trucks with 6 ft and under beds that are common now days are not designed to do the work that any 30 year old truck was built for. But I also know that there is a truck war going on between the big 3 in regards to the real truck market. There are more offerings in 3/4 and 1 ton trucks now days that allow you to both haul and tow more than any other time in history.

The last time we went round and round on this you keep acting like a face cord was more than a cord. Then I point out here that a face cord actually has a definition you start whining about the amount of wood that will fit on a soccer mom mobile. QUIT YOUR STUPIDITY! Live in the real world and admit that you are wrong.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I am being argumentative? You can't do simple math. You keep changing definitions to prove your point. You don't want to admit that you are wrong and want to continue to be stupid when many of us have shown you where you are wrong.

I have owned full sized 1/2 ton trucks, both with long and short beds, compact trucks in both long and short beds, drove family and work trucks from shortbed extend cab compact trucks all the the way up to long nose Peterbuilt sleeper trucks with Payload capacities from 1000lbs all the way up to an ultralight daycab that could haul 54,000 lbs without permits. So when you say something stupid like most trucks are shortbeds I know better because I have driven them all.
Now if most of your firewood customers show up in a shortbed compact truck, I would not load more than a face cord on their truck. But when you say pickup truck, I think of the 1990 Chevy 2500 sitting in my driveway. I know not everyone lives in an area like mine where I own the smallest truck on my road. But those 4 door 1/2 ton trucks with 6 ft and under beds that are common now days are not designed to do the work that any 30 year old truck was built for. But I also know that there is a truck war going on between the big 3 in regards to the real truck market. There are more offerings in 3/4 and 1 ton trucks now days that allow you to both haul and tow more than any other time in history.

The last time we went round and round on this you keep acting like a face cord was more than a cord. Then I point out here that a face cord actually has a definition you start whining about the amount of wood that will fit on a soccer mom mobile. QUIT YOUR STUPIDITY! Live in the real world and admit that you are wrong.

Watch your tone there Mr.

I don't care what kind of pickup truck you are talking about, it will not hold 3 face cords of firewood. Not gonna happen, no way no how.

I don't care what kind of pickup truck you are talking about, it will not hold 3 face cords of firewood. Not gonna happen, no way no how.

I have a 1989 F150 long bed with cab-high+ racks. Loaded with first and last rick stacked and rest thrown it comes out to just under 1 full cord. Yes that is with well cured Willow and it still overloads the truck but a full cord WILL fit. Not a good idea though.

Once again back to the same crybaby whining when presented with the facts. I is like arguing with a liberal. Ignore math and facts and keep telling the same lie as if saying it again makes it true. I have exposed your stupidity and will not waste any more time arguing with a fool.

Once again back to the same crybaby whining when presented with the facts. I is like arguing with a liberal. Ignore math and facts and keep telling the same lie as if saying it again makes it true. I have exposed your stupidity and will not waste any more time arguing with a fool.
Good......... stop running your mouth, I'm tired of hearing from you as well.

But - most of the pickups on the road these days do have shorter beds. 8' beds are getting seriously outnumbered.

You seem to have a bug up your butt?

But - most of the pickups on the road these days do have shorter beds. 8' beds are getting seriously outnumbered.

You seem to have a bug up your butt?
You are right about the current market 1/2 tons being geared more for family oriented 4 door trucks with short beds. But don't forget about the 40 year old trucks still on the road (which many are regular cab long beds) or that the long bed is still more popular in the 1 ton and up models. I even admit that I am based toward a heavier truck as the Ford I put the most miles on was an F650, and I put more miles on a Freightliner than anything that light.

I do have a bug up my butt (to use your words) when someone puts out false information on a forum just to pad their thread count. Most of us know what a face cord is and in order not to confuse a new member or someone just passing through looking for information, I will continue to call out a lie.

Now I will concede the point that shortbed is the new standard although those of us who use a truck like a truck will still buy a longer bed. So without repeating how much wood weighs let's look at what will fit:
6.5 ft short bed 5.3 ft wide and 1.5 ft deep is a little under 50 cubic feet if you allow for the wheel wells. By adding 30" sideboards you have over 130 cubic feet and room for more than a cord of wood.
Even with the little 5.5 ft bed some soccer moms drive you still only need a 36" sideboard.
Now a small disclaimer about weight, those little bed soccer mom mobiles only have a payload capacity of around 1000 lbs and any cord of wood will weigh twice to eight times that. If you want to haul a cord of wood in the bed of your truck you should be driving a 3/4 ton truck or more.

Ran across this picture on a local firewood sellers Craigslist AD. Check it out. Anybody ever hear of a "Sheldon Cord" ? I never have, let's ad more confusion to the to selling or buying firewood....Geez !!

View attachment 683647

LMAO...."Sheldon cords vary in size"...Who would have thunk it? Here's your sign!!!

You are right about the current market 1/2 tons being geared more for family oriented 4 door trucks with short beds. But don't forget about the 40 year old trucks still on the road (which many are regular cab long beds) or that the long bed is still more popular in the 1 ton and up models. I even admit that I am based toward a heavier truck as the Ford I put the most miles on was an F650, and I put more miles on a Freightliner than anything that light.

I do have a bug up my butt (to use your words) when someone puts out false information on a forum just to pad their thread count. Most of us know what a face cord is and in order not to confuse a new member or someone just passing through looking for information, I will continue to call out a lie.

Now I will concede the point that shortbed is the new standard although those of us who use a truck like a truck will still buy a longer bed. So without repeating how much wood weighs let's look at what will fit:
6.5 ft short bed 5.3 ft wide and 1.5 ft deep is a little under 50 cubic feet if you allow for the wheel wells. By adding 30" sideboards you have over 130 cubic feet and room for more than a cord of wood.
Even with the little 5.5 ft bed some soccer moms drive you still only need a 36" sideboard.
Now a small disclaimer about weight, those little bed soccer mom mobiles only have a payload capacity of around 1000 lbs and any cord of wood will weigh twice to eight times that. If you want to haul a cord of wood in the bed of your truck you should be driving a 3/4 ton truck or more.

Who peed on your pancakes? Your using an old argument that is completely different then what we are talking about in this thread. Get over yourself. It sounds to me like you are agreeing with me but still want to argue.

Didn't we have this argument with sb47 about a month or two back?
I started off saying this argument was in another thread.

No way can someone get 3 cords in a standard pick up truck bed. Not to mention the weight of 3 cords.
I never said 3 cords in a standard truck bed.
The argument was about 3 face cords in a pickup truck bed. The standard accepted definition of a face cord is a 4' x 8' stack of whatever the length of the log is. Another accepted standard is a 16" log length leaving 3 face cords in a cord.

Now on to the weight. Most dry hardwood weights around 4000 lbs per cord. That is within the weight capacity of a 3/4 ton truck. Some softwood can weigh as little as 2000 lbs per cord putting it in the capacity of a 1/2 ton truck.
We are talking about 3 face cords which is equal to 1 cord as explained above. I also addressed the weight issue in the same post.

Now without getting angry or yelling I calmly point out the error in your argument. 3 face cords equals one full cord.

Your using an old argument that is completely different then what we are talking about in this thread.
In the other thread I explained the same thing using my truck bed size which was called a standard size truck bed when I bought my first truck.
I have shown how you can fit a cord or more of firewood into several different size truck beds. I have also warned about weight and given a minimum weight rating to haul such a load.
Now you are right that I lost my cool and I do apologize for derailing this thread, but the point remains that 3 face cords can and have been loaded and safety transported on many pickup trucks over the years. I don't however recommend doing it on a short bed step side 1/2 ton truck, but that is not a standard truck bed.

:)
I started off saying this argument was in another thread.

I never said 3 cords in a standard truck bed.

We are talking about 3 face cords which is equal to 1 cord as explained above. I also addressed the weight issue in the same post.

Now without getting angry or yelling I calmly point out the error in your argument. 3 face cords equals one full cord.

In the other thread I explained the same thing using my truck bed size which was called a standard size truck bed when I bought my first truck.
I have shown how you can fit a cord or more of firewood into several different size truck beds. I have also warned about weight and given a minimum weight rating to haul such a load.
Now you are right that I lost my cool and I do apologize for derailing this thread, but the point remains that 3 face cords can and have been loaded and safety transported on many pickup trucks over the years. I don't however recommend doing it on a short bed step side 1/2 ton truck, but that is not a standard truck bed.

You didn't calmly explain anything. You called me stupid, then in another post you called me a lier. And still in another post you called me a librarian. All are hostile comments over a simple disagreement. I never once disrespected you. I'll except your apology but try to be respectful, I gave you that courtesy. Relax and loosen your man bun, you'll feel better.:)

Latest posts

Back