Let's See Your Home Shop

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Freudianfloyd

Clinically Diagnosed with CAD
Reaction score
I looked around and didnt really see any threads specifically for everybody to show off their home shops. So let's see em. I'm sure some of you have some pretty impressive shops for working on your saws and anything else that breaks down.

Here is my current one. The garage is too small for auto work usually, but it's great for little engines.

Main bench
20200131_154349.jpg
Second bench
20200131_154404.jpg
20200131_154431.jpg 20200131_154420.jpg
More storage and junk
20200131_154441.jpg

So let's see em!

Well I sure as hell cant one up that nice arrangement. But here’s mine, floors on the dirty side.

I wish I had a dual car garageView attachment 793803 View attachment 793804
The internet is a dangerous thing. I didnt even have a workbench until I joined a forum on garages, and only had a few saws before I joined this forum.

I was always lucky growing up though as my dad always had a great shop to work in and I always envied it. Now that I can afford my own stuff, I'm always looking at ways to make it better or easier to work in. When I'm bored or between saw projects, I'm organizing it cleaning my garage.

I've been on the forum for several years now and my shop is still as junky as ever, that's why I refuse to take pictures of it. It's a dry place to work at least. Today it was dry and a very cold place to work since I haven't got anything but a small electric heater. I have a wood stove but I have a bunch of chainsaw boxes piled on top of it. Because of my age and health there's not much work going on out there anyway...

I've been on the forum for several years now and my shop is still as junky as ever, that's why I refuse to take pictures of it. It's a dry place to work at least. Today it was dry and a very cold place to work since I haven't got anything but a small electric heater. I have a wood stove but I have a bunch of chainsaw boxes piled on top of it. Because of my age and health there's not much work going on out there anyway...
I do have the advantage of having a 40x80 barn to store things in aswell. That is where all the junk goes.

I do have the advantage of having a 40x80 barn to store things in aswell. That is where all the junk goes.
Actually, I have an extra building or two also but it seems the chainsaw part is always the junkiest. I just hauled a bunch of old parts saws in a few days ago and haven't even cleaned the first one up yet..

Here's my main workbench. I'm not kidding, this is where I clean and build saws.

20200131_205606.jpg

It's part of the laundry room. And here's why I don't use my real workbench. It's in the garage, either too hot or too cold, and it looks like this:

20200131_205707.jpg

This house, although fairly large, has no good place to turn into a shop.

Here's my main workbench. I'm not kidding, this is where I clean and build saws.

View attachment 793921

It's part of the laundry room. And here's why I don't use my real workbench. It's in the garage, either too hot or too cold, and it looks like this:

View attachment 793923

Nothin wrong with that, having a bench is better than no bench. Mathew Olson fixes saws on a fricken piece of 2x6 on a vice lmao, **** everywhere and kids screaming lol, not for me man!

Here is mine, still a bit of a work in progress. Constantly trying to reorganize.
2aa651a199a568a91ee8536e8df8d252.jpg
2b9f816f25a17101f5c5c3a273fa8024.jpg
b9a5896e72bb4424c6e53d9ae895ba4d.jpg

I gotta admit I cannot keep up with what some of you all have, and I thought I was well set up for someone who is just a “homeowner” these days. What I do have and where I have it gets my stuff done. Believe it or not I can pull a car in the garage if I pull the grinder out.

I basically have three workspaces, I’ll share photos as they are from some recent morning. This a basically a copy and paste of a reply I put in another thread like this updated for today.

The first is a box and surrounding tools. The box and it’s top have been my “main”, and at times only workspace for twenty years. My dad bought me the box as a teenager just before I went to tech school. These days it still serves as the main tear down, dirtier work, and tool storage area.

5d2afc15-f833-43f1-a959-023a8ba04f9f-jpeg.781787

The second is a bench my mom bought me some years ago. Not pictured but bolted to the table is a drill press/bench grinder jig I sharpen my stump grinder teeth on. The vise that can be seen there is bolted to a 2x6 with three long screws through it for like 15 years now so it can be moved around but it’s hardley ever in the way so it’s been living there a while now. The 2/3 of the bench the vise is on serves as a cleaner(when I put down poster board) and better lit workspace than the tool box top and is where I do most assemblies from carbs to saws to small engines. I also can stand straight up at this bench which I cannot if standing right up against my toolbox.
55a8646b-fca1-4223-8c0d-cf736dc79d1e-jpeg.781788

The third is in the basement. I do not use it much as all my tools are in the garage, and I have to bring down everythibg I need. I did finish up opening up the port side of some mufflers down here this very morning even though I’ve been doing some assembly in the garage in single digit weather. It’s warmer downstairs and I need to feel my hands for certain types of stuff. The basement also has the best lighting of all the workspaces if the garage door is down.
fbfa8113-60bc-4eb3-939c-12605fe44946-jpeg.781789

Anyway. Figured I’d share. Those are my workspaces. For almost all things I need to repair, which I do most things myself. I end up using all three for almost all purposes at some point or another because as you all well know this or that is in the way or it’s to cold or I need my vise for this part or on and on the list goes.

Bruce

View attachment 793921

View attachment 793923

Looks good. The good thing about working on saws is that you dont need much room for a bench or for tools. They fit just about anywhere.

@2broke2ride i love the overhead hangin saws. Reminds me of the way I used to store a lot of RC airplanes. I may have resort to that someday but for now I still have space and options. It wouldn’t make a good first option for me as my garage door takes up 1/2 or more of my one car garage when up. If I needed to tho the bikes could come down and saws could go up. Lol.

@Freudianfloyd i really like the saws in a standing trunk and intend on doing that next, if and when I run out of room on my current wall(not pictured above, only took pics of the “workspaces”). It’s a small wall. Holds 046, will hold the 460 clone build, some junk poulans, an XXV my kids assembled, and various bars and chains. That’s it for now, vintage stuff is the basement waiting to get running.

Back