Let's see your husqvarna

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
230085d1332331027-husqvarna-480-001-jpg
Here's my old "workhorse", still running as good as the day it was purchased.....Cliff

garage_attachment.php

The 36, 235 and 44 are mine. The 44 has a 346OE piston. Cheeves just got that for me, but he knows I'm down with a bum paw so he's trying to usurp it. He doesn't fool me. He had to replace the beloved 44 he lost in a nasty divorce, but once these stitches are out, he'll have to pry it from my cold dead hands!! He loaned out my 23 about 5 years ago (but I know where it is) and some creep he loaned the 50 to tells his friend "He gave it to me." :( No matter. He says he never liked it anyway.

Last edited:
I wonder how that works, as the stroke is different between those saws? :msp_confused:

Hey, Niko: How DO you know this stuff?? Specs aren't my thing. I certainly don't have your facility with the stroke on the saws I run. I just run'em! First off, I lied about it being a new cylinder. It's the stock cylinder Komatsuvarna cleaned up after it'd been straight gassed. Anyway, we just got this one from him, so he could fill you in on the details. The way I understand it, he machined down an early 346 piston, and finagled a Caber ring onto it, so I guess that makes up the difference. That's about as much as I know about it. It runs great and the price was right, so I won't lose any sleep over it either way.

How ya doin'?? Good to let this stuff keep your mind off the hip!!

Last edited:
I wonder how that works, as the stroke is different between those saws? :msp_confused:

Yep, as you know Niko. I think its about .5mm if I remember correctly. The OE346 piston is the same 42mm bore, crown is just a little thicker. Machine about .050 off the crown, use a base gasket and you end up with .020 squish. Port timings is exactly the same.

Saw wasn't straight gassed either. The intake gasket failed and was sucking air. Found a picture of the cylinder

photobucket-3829-1322429627048.jpg

Beautiful eh? :D

Last edited:
Yep, as you know Niko. I think its about .5mm if I remember correctly. The OE346 piston is the same 42mm bore, crown is just a little thicker. Machine about .050 off the crown, use a base gasket and you end up with .020 squish. Port timings is exactly the same.

Saw wasn't straight gassed either. The intake gasket failed and was sucking air. Found a picture of the cylinder

Stellar! Thanks for jumping in there and bailin' me out. I hate gettin' my information third hand!

Hey, Niko: How DO you know this stuff?? Specs aren't my thing. I certainly don't have your facility with the stroke on the saws I run. I just run'em! First off, I lied about it being a new cylinder. It's the stock cylinder Komatsuvarna cleaned up after it'd been straight gassed. Anyway, we just got this one from him, so he could fill you in on the details. The way I understand it, he machined down an early 346 piston, and finagled a Caber ring onto it, so I guess that makes up the difference. That's about as much as I know about it. It runs great and the price was right, so I won't lose any sleep over it either way.

How ya doin'?? Good to let this stuff keep your mind off the hip!!

Stellar! Thanks for jumping in there and bailin' me out. I hate gettin' my information third hand!

That's fine, and explains it - not a streight bolt on! :big_smile:

.5mm is correct.

Did not realize it was open port. Interesting.

You ain't Kiddin'. And to run it is even better! How did you clean it up? Acid, Drano, or honeing; or both? Whatever you did I'd like to learn your tecnique!

Latest posts

Back