lets talk rigging line for natural crotching

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LOL!

I have very few pics. Whenever I am doing something harry it is always all hands on deck. Invariably one of my guys will say "we aught to get a pic of this one"... Only problem is everyone has a rope in their hand.

I got another bigun coming up where I am going to be lowering big pieces. I'll try to get some pics.

Same here for the most part, unless I have Eric send up my phone with my smokes. lol. He always loves that. You can always take a shot of the stump and let us imagine how awesome you are.

just bustin on ya bud.....I often think taking a pict of a hairy rig might be bad luck too. Plus we almost always only got 4 hands on a job as well.:cry:

I think it detracts from your professional image a bit too. Though I don't do big, hairy ones every day, I like to inspire confidence in the HO and act like it's just another day at the office.

One of the first tricks I learned when I started doing this gig was how to hang whole trees. Back then I lived where we had lots of pines. The guy I first worked for loved to have a group of pines to remove close together. We hung some huge pines. I definitely say we pushed the envelope on the 23000 pounds the 3/4 stable braid is rated at. Anyway, I learned the value of a good rigging line...

One of the first tricks I learned when I started doing this gig was how to hang whole trees. Back then I lived where we had lots of pines. The guy I first worked for loved to have a group of pines to remove close together. We hung some huge pines. I definitely say we pushed the envelope on the 23000 pounds the 3/4 stable braid is rated at. Anyway, I learned the value of a good rigging line...

I'd be more concerned about the rigging pine snapping in half than the rope with that kind of weight.

I'd be more concerned about the rigging pine snapping in half than the rope with that kind of weight.

Well, you dam sure want to make sure that the one you are lowering from is bigger than the one your hanging and it's important to inspect it very closely for defects... That being said, Pines are like rubber. They will take a lot of abuse.

Well, knock on wood, I've never had one fail on me before. I used to take a lot bigger risks when I was younger. When I think back on some of the #### I pulled it's a miracle I'm even around to type this #### and tell about it. I used to butt hitch huge pieces of pine and just go boing when I was younger. LOL, I loved it. Where I now live I rarely work on pines anymore. I can't remember the last time I hung a whole tree...

I do remember a time when I was working on a bunch of pines with another, older climber from LA. We were just about to hang one when I noticed a crack going all the way down the pine we were about to lower from. It was lightening struck and had a hairline crack that was barely noticeable...

Bro... You've decided you are going to be a pro so buy pro gear. Never buy a rope from Lowes, Homo Depot or anywhere where the HO's and wannabes shop. I didn't even look at the link. Ropes from those types of places are not rated. Buy an arborist rope from a reputable distributor and don't take chances. You never get a second chance with a rope. If you're going to be a pro buy accordingly, know what it's rated for and don't skimp... If you're not making enough money to buy pro gear then you either need to figure out how to make more money or get on the porch with the HO's.

I still have the 5/8ths three strand I got from HD 15 years ago. It is rated and I pretty much kept in the parameters.

I believe that's it laying ontop of the tan trash can on the right.

july_130-1.jpg

Last edited:
Bro... You've decided you are going to be a pro so buy pro gear. Never buy a rope from Lowes, Homo Depot or anywhere where the HO's and wannabes shop. I didn't even look at the link. Ropes from those types of places are not rated. Buy an arborist rope from a reputable distributor and don't take chances. You never get a second chance with a rope. If you're going to be a pro buy accordingly, know what it's rated for and don't skimp... If you're not making enough money to buy pro gear then you either need to figure out how to make more money or get on the porch with the HO's.

:agree2::agree2:
With crap like that your just gonna hurt yourself or someone else.

I still have the 5/8ths three strand I got from HD 15 years ago. It is rated and I pretty much kept in the parameters.

I believe that's it laying ontop of the tan trash can on the right.

july_130-1.jpg

Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah... I bet you used a mac black cat back then too... :D

Personally, I'm not going to buy a rope that is not made by a reputable manufacturer with a proven track record. but that's just me... But by all means, take a chance and learn to dance...

Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah... I bet you used a mac black cat back then too... :D

Personally, I'm not going to buy a rope that is not made by a reputable manufacturer with a proven track record. but that's just me... But by all means, take a chance and learn to dance...

I don't know what a mac black cat is but if its cheap, real cheap, then I'll buy it!:)
Naw, I just used that rope to lower little stuff. Sure it is what it is and now I use it to tie shrubs out of my way or move a wire.

I don't know what a mac black cat is but if its cheap, real cheap, then I'll buy it!:)
Naw, I just used that rope to lower little stuff. Sure it is what it is and now I use it to tie shrubs out of my way or move a wire.

Finally, someone who understands that I am joking and talking shiot!

I try to talk to guys just as I would if they were sitting down having a beer with me or on the job around here. TG, someone finally gets it! :clap:

I will also admit to using a Craftsman saw back then. I worked at a company and did little side jobs with my crap. I have to say I was real lucky with that saw... it actually ran. 109 on sale and I longed for something better.
Don't get me wrong, let me reitterate I STAYED IN THE PARAMETERS. All of them. Well, OK, maybe sometimes I pushed the issue.
I did have some crap back then, I worked up. I have real appreciation for the good stuff. It went: Craftsman then Echo then Stihl.
The HD rope boasted a SWL of 300 hundred pounds and you know what that means right?
I am not trying to sell the guy the HD rope, I am just saying.

Last edited:
Finally, someone who understands that I am joking and talking shiot!

I try to talk to guys just as I would if they were sitting down having a beer with me or on the job around here. TG, someone finally gets it! :clap:

If we were closer, I would punch you in the nose and take your beer just for dissin' a friends choice. Then we would laugh! I would give your beer back.
Jeff :(

Hey Jeffie, Next time I go to California you are going to be first on my list to visit. We can swap beers and howl at the moon! ;)

Back