lets uncover the Husqvarna Brand....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
good answers guys, just keep it going, should I add a poll at this moment??

Mostly it boils down to money, amount able to spend A-new or B-used.

Used is a HUGE wildcard. Good shape running, ballpark, around 1/2 new price. Add or subtract how new it is, or how whipped and beat up.

new price is..new price, some variance with dealers, but..they will all be sorta close I think.

to me, new price, the best deals would be the "sleepers" the factory models that are the slightly detuned versions of the closest xp models, example like from up above, a 365xt.

the other guys can chime in with the best modern and older "factory sleepers".

We aren't as far off topic as some may believe, as Husky originally was an arms factory! :cool2:

Last edited:
Actually it was "much lower" .....

It still doesn't mean low - but a clamshell type engine in a plastic case obviously is much lower quality than a pro style engine in a magnesium case. :msp_wink:

However, the 450 is still among the better "homeowner class" saws, even though it isn't as good as the 350 that it replaced (heavier, and putting a pro class top end on it is not possible).

Is the Husqy 450 stratified, E-tech, X-torq, or both? When I looked at them, on a clearance rack, I was favoring the 450 for sure. It seemed to be the sweet spot in power to weight amongst the other Husqy offerings. But I left it sitting there, it still wasn't worth $3something to me.

Is the Husqy 450 stratified, E-tech, X-torq, or both? When I looked at them, on a clearance rack, I was favoring the 450 for sure. It seemed to be the sweet spot in power to weight amongst the other Husqy offerings. But I left it sitting there, it still wasn't worth $3something to me.

It's X-torq which is stratified and replaced E-tech which was just a cat muffler.

The 450 is a great little 'lower end' saw!

Last edited:
X-torq is Huskys marketing designation for stratified.

There is no E-Tech = cat muffler. It isn't needed with the statified saws, to handle emission regulations....

Current models I'd pick the 550, 562, 372, 390 as the stars. If I wanted to save money, the 545, 555, 365 - but these saws have more going for them than just being budget versions of pro saws, they all seem more forgiving than their xp counterparts and easier to use.

Cheaper than those means second hand in my opinion, and then the answers are endless as it has more to do with condition than model.

As to what size you want, that's something only you can decide. Personally I could have a 365 or 555 as my only saw.

I'll throw in my two cents here: I'm not one swayed by others opinions, I value them, but I have to find things out for myself. I've been trying different brands of saws, all purchased on Craigslist or Ebay. I've been using Husqvarna, Stihl, Dolmar, Olympic, Echo, etc... I've spent hours reading posts on this site referencing every saw I've purchased and used. My favorite saw is my Husqvarna 346XP running an 18" bar, 3/8" semi skip, full chisel Stihl chain, it's a first gen with a muffler mod. Running a close second, my Stihl MS260 Pro, same setup. When I picked up the MS260, I immediately went to the woods and ran it by my 346, comfortably half as fast through the wood as the 346. I did the muffler mod to the MS260, huge improvement, it's still not as fast as the 346, but it's much closer, I like the inboard clutch on the Stihl. If either of those won't do the job, I grab my Stihl 036, wearing a 20" bar running the exact same chain as my smaller saws. From there, I have a Husqvarna 372XP, and up from there - my Husqvarna 394XP, either running a full skip, chisel chain on either my 28" or 32" bars. My advice, see what's available in your area, and search this site for opinions/experiences. Check for dealer/service support in your area, and stay away from consumer models.
Enjoy the search for the perfect saw.

Call me dumb, but didn't know that... a brief history please?

Husqvarna was established in 1689 as an arms factory for the Swedish King, and kept making arms for hunting at least into the 1970s. In the meantime they started making lots of other products as well, including chainsaws in 1959.

They also made a lot of really nice S/S shotguns for a while, and the famous Swedish Mauser.

Husqvarna around year 1700:

Huskvarna år 1700 (ca).jpg

Last edited:
Back