Line Clearance worker attacked by drug crazed H.O.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigus Termitius

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
That's how I ended my day, with a total psycho attacking and threatening me and my co-worker, all over two small branch removals on a huge catalpa in the front yard under the lines.

He came out threatening to shoot and kill us both. My co-worker was in the bucket fishing out the branches when this loco came out of the house with his threats and then attacked me. I restrained myself and tried to explain the situation as a whole, and how the work was already done and we were leaving. He then attacked the chipper, shut it down and threw the keys. I went to retrieve the keys out of the yard and he went for the keys, then me once he saw I had him beat. I shucked him and explained that if he tried me again I would be forced to defend myself and he would be put down.

That's when we went for the house. Luckily, my co-worker had managed to get down and we called the power company, then the law as instructed.

He then returns from the house with his hand inside his shirt with a bulge and we vacate 1/4 mi north while on the phone with dispatch. One county and 4 state troopers show up get some info and close in after sending us into town.

We filled out statements and then saw an ambulance headed north from the scene as the county mounty rolls up, climbs up on the truck and tells us "it gets better."

We were all ears. Thankfully, no one got shot. He had a heart attack instead. And after turning in statements we were on our way.

All in a days work keeping the lights on I guess.

I was at a condo a number of years ago where a guy threatened violence if I touched the shrub outside his door. I did something els, called my contact and she stood there while I trimmed the shrub.

The guy came out and apologized, saying that it actually did look better then when I started.

I was at a condo a number of years ago where a guy threatened violence if I touched the shrub outside his door. I did something els, called my contact and she stood there while I trimmed the shrub.

The guy came out and apologized, saying that it actually did look better then when I started.

lol. As did the catalpa, but he wouldn't hear a thing until I warned him one last time.

Here's to you blue-collar working man for keeping the lights on.

Tree specific+ Lineman tune.

Wichita Lineman +Tree Climbing

pretty powerful tune^ although not sang by Glen Campbell.

Funny. I heard that song on the radio a couple of fridays ago on the way in at dusk. It was the Glenn Campbell version, but I appreciate the other versions as well.

I've been watching the various versions on youtube tonight just to unwind. I love the melody and the concept of the singing in the wires. I enjoy that whining sound, especially in this flat, open east central illinois prairie country with all the wind you could ever want.

I was admiring the beautiful catalpa when it all broke loose. So much for serenity.

I need a small vacation, but I've already had my fill of rain....and snow!

P.S. Sweet video!

Last edited:
What a nut! I've had a couple in my time but you got me beat.
geek-monkey.jpg

Thing is, I've had them come out and cuss me, but by the time it's all over we are laughing and they are asking me about side work.

Can't win them all...I guess.

Last week We did a clearing job for Oh Dept of Tranp. Every day all day we had to put our saws in the truck and lock it up as we moved around removing about 30 trees. Bunch of druggies hanging around every where we went. Had about 6 trucks on the job and had to keep track of everything and ourselves as well....exhausting.

Place I worked once 2 times they stole saws and ran in apartments and you couldn't find them and no one new nothing.

Man, what a day!

Back when I worked in Atlanta the guy I contracted for worked the suburbs and the high end areas and always sent me out to the hood. One time I was working da hood and all the kids in the project across the street were yelling up at me "hey spyyyda man, you gonna fall spyyda man" Then the older kids came out and started yelling "someone gonna shoot you down spyyyda man. I had to work one of his projects in the projects and was about 40' up when I saw a slim guy with a big head running through the project with my backpack blower (that was the boss's and not really mine) with the project security guard closely on his heels. This project was in South Atlanta and surrounded by a 10' fence with barbwire around the top so there was no place for the guy to go really. I got down and caught up with the security guard and we found where the guy had stashed the blower in the basement of a condemned project unit. Fun times I tell ya!!!!

That's how I ended my day, with a total psycho attacking and threatening me and my co-worker, all over two small branch removals on a huge catalpa in the front yard under the lines.

He came out threatening to shoot and kill us both. My co-worker was in the bucket fishing out the branches when this loco came out of the house with his threats and then attacked me. I restrained myself and tried to explain the situation as a whole, and how the work was already done and we were leaving. He then attacked the chipper, shut it down and threw the keys. I went to retrieve the keys out of the yard and he went for the keys, then me once he saw I had him beat. I shucked him and explained that if he tried me again I would be forced to defend myself and he would be put down.

That's when we went for the house. Luckily, my co-worker had managed to get down and we called the power company, then the law as instructed.

He then returns from the house with his hand inside his shirt with a bulge and we vacate 1/4 mi north while on the phone with dispatch. One county and 4 state troopers show up get some info and close in after sending us into town.

We filled out statements and then saw an ambulance headed north from the scene as the county mounty rolls up, climbs up on the truck and tells us "it gets better."

We were all ears. Thankfully, no one got shot. He had a heart attack instead. And after turning in statements we were on our way.

All in a days work keeping the lights on I guess.

Wow dude what a day.

We have the hood here as well. Thank God!! I don't ever really need to work there much. The hood usually hires the hood for work.

When we do go there we lock the trucks and keep the gear with us close by. I'll even unload gear I'm sure we wont need for the hell of it, before we leave.

I've been in many trees looking at hundreds of window wondering who's on the other side with a gun, stupid and bored.

That's really the only time I get nervous in a tree. One shot from a window and I get hit, the cops would have a hard time figuring which window it came from.

Wouldn't it be great if you could act the crazy part and scare the poop out of them. Kinda like Tazmanian Devil meets Leatherface.

A little while ago I would have said something like "you should have put him through the chipper" and gone on to rant about people like that who cause us problems. But now I say, let it go, you are good guy, doing a dangerous and needed job. Good for you Bigus. :cheers:

A little while ago I would have said something like "you should have put him through the chipper" and gone on to rant about people like that who cause us problems. But now I say, let it go, you are good guy, doing a dangerous and needed job. Good for you Bigus. :cheers:

Yeah, years ago you could threaten them, run em thru the chipper, or "break yo foot off up they a$$" (Rampage Jackson quote haha), but these days you gotta figger they are carryin (bulge in the coat).

Yeah, years ago you could threaten them, run em thru the chipper, or "break yo foot off up they a$$" (Rampage Jackson quote haha), but these days you gotta figger they are carryin (bulge in the coat).

That ain't why I said this. Its because I have let these types of things bother me a great deal, to my detriment. Now I will just drive away, no matter what is said to me. If they physically attack me, different story, I will do me best to win, no rules.

Life is too short. Let the power company rep. deal with it.

That ain't why I said this. Its because I have let these types of things bother me a great deal, to my detriment. Now I will just drive away, no matter what is said to me. If they physically attack me, different story, I will do me best to win, no rules.

Life is too short. Let the power company rep. deal with it.

a kinder gentler clearance in effect :hmm3grin2orange:

a kinder gentler clearance in effect :hmm3grin2orange:

Yes, I am getting better, with the help of others. No one has ever physically attacked me doing utility work, pretty close, but no. I never had to give back the insults and hate, it does no good. Utility guys do a much needed job, it is unfortunate that some don't understand, but so it is.

Line clearance guys used to get a bum wrap around here. A lot of people hate for them to come in and trim their trees. They are doing a lot to turn that around here. The rep that came to my house said he had a Hackberry to be removed where I live but said he didn't see any Hackberry. I said that that's because there wasn't one. He walked around and showed me what they planned to trim. I told them to go for it. LOL, he never even mentioned my dump and chipper setting in the yard. They have been doing a lot around here to improve their PR and get a lot more respect than they did before the ice storm last year. After going without power for a couple of weeks, folks around here don't mind seeing them too much now. I even saw them grinding stumps at the next door neighbors where I worked today. First I have seen them grind stumps at a residence.

Latest posts

Back