Little West Kill, NY

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is a pic going around of an abnormally large mountain lion that was supposedly taken in that area.
I question the validity.
I know there are mountain lions here in NYS, I saw one first hand in 1998.
Surely if such an animal was taken for whatever reason in that area, then the locals would know about it!
Gnome sayin?

There's been claims like that for a long time now and none of it was true. First it was out nead Dansville NY then it was Green NY... all BS IMO.

And for those that don't believe there are Cougars in the Adirondacks, you need to get out more often!
Not saying there are 200lb monsters out here, but they are here!
Still don't believe me?
Call retired DEC Wildlife Biologist, Vance Gilligan, ask him.
Or try this.....
Call your local DEC officer, tell them you found a dead cougar on the side of the road. When they tell you that there are no Cougars in your area, tell them that it has a NYSDEC collar on its neck!
Their tune changes REAL quick!

One got hit by a car in Connecticut last year that was traced back out west somewhere Wyoming I think. There's been rumors around the Catskills but no actual sightings.

I saw one at hunting camp back in 1998'. The thought of that morning still brings chills to my bones.
It drifted like smoke through the woods. I was only 20yds from it and never heard a sound.
I was in a cedar swamp where everything is covered in moss and it had been raining all morning.

We have had a few sightings....a 610 lb sow pig was mauled by one at a farm about 6 miles from me this fall it was in the same pen with the boar...Dec said it could have been a cat I don't think coyotes could have done it.pigs can put up a hell of fight...might find dead cat remains on the hill behind the farm come sap season

I've seen several here in NW MO, I've even seen 2 black ones. Didn't see one in 2014 but I was walking up the river during deer season and seen cat tracks as big as the palm of my hand.

Oh yeah cats get big out here. Buddy shot one up in the black
Hills that thing weighed prob 210 maybe none the less by the time we made it to my pickup it felt like it weighed 900lbs. Stupid altitude. They are very elusive things never hear or really see them.

Back