loading logs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've done quit a bit of log loading because my fathers father ownes a sawmill in Newfoundland and we cant see good lumber go to waste. So as far as loading goes we keep ten foot logs and 12 foot as does everybody, by lifting the logs up by hand with two guys on the end of the log, and any other hands can push in the middle, up, and stand the log on end and hold it there which is easy to balance, and back the trailer into the log ,not to close, but so the end of the log drops on the trailer. Then pick up the grounded end (obviously) and push the rest of the way on the trailer.

If your going sideways with your logs on the trailer than when you start putting logs on top lift one end on to the bottom row of logs (after you let 2 or 3 feet at the back of the trailer to still flop over logs) get some body to hold the end in place ( end thats on top) pushing down while you lift and roll the lower end over and up.

If your talking about long logs I got tricks for those too. But you might already know some of this. Hopoed I helped

why not mount a small electric crane on the drawbar of your trailer im sure the ones we got over here can lift 1/2 ton..i could have had asecond hand one fitted for £1000 ..if you check out ebay uk and put in trailers thers one on there for sale with a crane...

i also think, when rolling logs around you either want to push from below the C.o.B.; or pull from above if you can safely, efficiently.

i think that calculating the C.o.B if rolling, or drag point if not as a downward pushing force; so pushing the wheelbarrel:eek: etc. (weight bearing axle lower than handles) sends some of yopur energy into the ground; whereby pulling up; from lower weight bearing point is more like pulling out of the hole, rather than pushing into(?). Anyway, when right on the edge between doable and not; it does seem to be a differance making strategy to me.

Or something like that,
:alien:

You may or may not have thought about this...

Not to detract from all the fun ways to logs on a trailer...

Know anyone with a Hiab? Your too far away for me......., but we often find ourselves doing quick boom work, for other guys in this situ. and for what it sound like your doing, if you have the logs close to the trailer, your talking 20 mins max, Find somebody with boom truck and offer them 100 bucks to load em up...

Lots of Landscape and Nurseries companys and brick companys have them... that's were I would start... You may build a relationship that could find you using it more and more.

Just a thought.

Some very interesting methods being discussed here for loading logs.

You guys that haul with trailors, now that we have some methods to load, how are we going to unload them??? Assuming, that the logs we loaded, are too long to just to roll out the back end.

With parbuckle setup if it is left in place when loading long poles on a no sides trailer; parbuckle can be used for unloading too; each tier from a different side as line zigzags up.

Tie off to something in a basket around load with a lacing strategy that will allow release under tension and pull truck/trailer forward would sometimes work very well. With no sides bulldozer or have another truck pull load off the trailer perpendicualr to trailer (shortest axis); if not enough truck to do it, tie one end down, and pull the other; always try to induce an arc-ing motion when ya can, reaching over top and flipping/leveraging when ya can. A lowboy trailer is sure easier to put the heavy wood on then cutting up small and hiking over head into chipper box!

Originally posted by Ax-man
Some very interesting methods being discussed here for loading logs.

You guys that haul with trailors, now that we have some methods to load, how are we going to unload them??? Assuming, that the logs we loaded, are too long to just to roll out the back end.

In my situation, there are plenty of things to tie a loaded log to and simply drive away in low range, dragging it off.

Try cant hooks and peaveys to place them. Log tongs then come in handy... sometimes you can roll them on iron pipe (like post drivers. A deadman and snatchblock might help.

Here these folks have taken my job and made a competition out of it. These guys are wimps, I'd smoke them lifing them logs anyday. I could be on TV.

Latest posts

Back