Local Shop - Such A Dissapointment

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think some dealer disappointment stems at times from expectations of conversation from both sides.

Sometimes I see customers want to come in and shoot the #### with an employee who is clearly busy.

I think if the shop is busy and the guys have things to do then that's not really the time to expect a lecture on the merits of various products. If you're serious about buying something then the guys should spend some time with you, but I've been in shops plenty of times when tire kickers come in and ask and ask and ask and the never get anything. If the employee looks and seems busy, then he probably is. It's kinda like seeing some guy at a bar keep trying with a girl that's uninterested--and believe me, that counter guy isn't playing hard to get. I get that if a shop is totally cold and will never give you the time of day then you probably wont buy anything there anyway--but just because someone is a little bit curt I usually don't get bent out of shape.

On the flipside I've seen some shops where the employees pretty much expect you to chat for a while before they'll even help you.

There was one shop in Vermont where if you didn't spend 30 minutes in there talking to the guy about his ex-wife, the weather, politics, the snow, whatever, he'd clearly be offended. Needless to say when I needed things in a hurry I didn't go there. Sooner or later I got sick of all of it and stopped going.

Thanks I found him. I'm in Haverhill so he's not too far. At least I have plenty of choices, Grantz in Salem nh, East Coast lumber in hampstead, rosencrantz in Kensington, someone in north Hampton too I forget his name. They're all about 20-40 minutes away.
I would much rather go to someone who knows what he's doing and a recommendation from someone on this site is great to hear.
North Hampton is Seacoast Power Equipment, don't know much about them. The one in Salem owns several OPE shops in southern NH, there Manchester location is not one of my favorites.

Place to be

My local dealer is right next door to the four local big box stores TSC ,Lowes, Home Depot, and Walmart, and does one heck of a business
selling to the general public and the pros. He places prices on all displayed products, and never argues prices. His hands are always dirty
from working, he's big and brawny and the old girls just love him. Will fix anything from the big box stores, and keeps parts in stock. He
sells Stihl,Toro,Husqvarna turf,and other high dollar pro equipment.It is kinda funny that most of my neighbors complain about his prices
yet they loves them Stihls they buy from him. His advice to me about his business was that he learned as a young man that parts and service
was the key to his success, the equipment sales was the draw. And yea, his parts girl and guy know thier stuff and will get you the parts
reasonably quick.
It is sad to hear others who are not so blessed to have a dealer to go to, some guys just do not seem to care.

Latest posts

Back