location for start up business

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are you nippin' at them pain pills again TM?? :)

Relocating and starting over can be a real exhausting experience. My short version, I started in the tree biz with my father in NYC where I was born and raised. Then I started my own biz in NYC for a few years. After chasing the cost of living to buy a house and getting fed up with the help situation, I relocated to VA on an offer from a school friend of mine to get involved in a different type of business. Relocated my wife and 2 children (2 years old at the time) 400 miles from my home and family of 30 years to a new place where the only people I knew was the school friend and his wife who were also my boss in the new business. After a few years of the new business and many disagreements I left and started out on my own tree biz again, still in VA but now looking for dump sites, equipment contacts, and help again. It has been 8 years since I moved away and have made friends and contacts here, bought a house, and am surviving. Moving away from the comfortable surrounding of my home in NYC was one of the most difficult things I have ever done and the stress in the beginning was almost unbearable. I still get homesick once in a while but a short trip to traffic and congestion filled NYC is enough to get me back to VA, and be glad I made the move. Good luck in your search PeteS relocating can be difficult but it will probably be worth it.

TM put the pipe down buddy :) Thanks for passing on some of your knowledge - I'll be sure to employ the magical formula. If you could invent some sort of magical stick to go along with that formula of yours' you'd be in good shape. Get out of the tree and with one wave of the stick shazzam the brush disappears. Unruly homeowners getting you down, poofff.

Anyway after careful consideration of the many factors that you guys have brought to light, I've decided that staying put is my best bet. The competition is pretty rough here, not to mention traffic and expenses, but all in all I think I'm doing the right thing. I really appreciate all the feedback from you guys.

No piping arond here, Bubba.

I was thinking of your poof schtick. There IS a magic wand for making brush go away. I give you photographic evidence......

Tree Machine (notice the Capitalization), someday, some how, I'm going to get you for that. I just about busted a gut trying not to laugh out loud while sitting here in my cube at work! :angry:

:D

Somebody had A Weird Minute!

Tree Machine said:
Just apply the magical formula of treating your clients with utmost respect, do the best tree care possible and do a magnificent, world-class cleanup. Do something free.

Anyway, I'm not a tree pro, but I'll chip in something (get it? CHIP IN! :D Oh, I kill myself!) from the consumer's side of things.

TM is dead on. I'm Joe Homeowner. If you come to my house and do a fantastic job of pruning my trees, how will I know? Do I know a good job from a mediocre one? How many Joe Homeowner's will? Yeah, some, but how many? But if you come to my house and do a lousy job of cleaning up, how will I know? Well, DUH! Do I know a good cleanup from a mediocre one? How many Joe Homeowner's will? If you come to my house and treat me with respect, how will I know? Do I know respect from disrespect? How many Joe Homeowner's will?

I think you can see where this is going.

Do a great job on my trees, but leave a mess, and I'm not going to burn up the phone lines telling my friends to call you for their tree business. And if my neighbor comes over and asks who did the good looking job on my trees, I'll tell him, but you can be SURE I'll tell him how long it took me to clean up after you. Same if you treat me with disrespect. Uh, that includes smoking on my property if you didn't ask first. That includes using foul language around my family.

While I'm on my soapbox, clean yourself up, folks! Show up with dirty, beat up, uncared for equipment and personnel, and I'm NOT going to be impressed. You don't have to have new everything, but it ought to be clean and neat. Wash your truck once in a while, for crying out loud!

I don't care how GOOD you are, a slob will not get my recommendation, and I honestly don't think I'm unusual in that respect.

Now back to your regularly scheduled thread. :)

xtremetrees said:
What kinda chipper is that a bandit?
attachment_29073.php

http://treeguy.info/articlebody.php?section_id=4&article_id=14

Koa Man said:
In Hawaii I am booked 2 months in advance and turn down 3-5 jobs a week. Not same for all tree services, but most are pretty busy. Cost of living is pretty high...your average 7500 sq. ft. house lot with a 30 year old 1600 sq. ft. house will cost you about $750-800000 where I live. Sure glad I bought my house 12 years ago. But we have year around summer, 11 of the 14 known climate conditions, the world's highest sea cliffs, the world's best observatory, the nation's highest gas prices, and we are the most isolated land mass in the world.

We (I & my H) were just in Maui. He also thought about tree service type of work there. We thought how fabulous it would be to live there! We asked locals and they said "no logging, but there is a need for “tree” removal." Ya homes are pricey.

FIY: We loved Maui can’t wait to go back!

I really think this is worthy of everyone reading again. Another magic formula:
BlueRidgeMark said:
I'm Joe Homeowner. If you come to my house and do a fantastic job of pruning my trees, how will I know? Do I know a good job from a mediocre one? How many Joe Homeowner's will? Yeah, some, but how many? But if you come to my house and do a lousy job of cleaning up, how will I know? Well, DUH! Do I know a good cleanup from a mediocre one? How many Joe Homeowner's will? If you come to my house and treat me with respect, how will I know? Do I know respect from disrespect? How many Joe Homeowner's will?

I think you can see where this is going.

Do a great job on my trees, but leave a mess, and I'm not going to burn up the phone lines telling my friends to call you for their tree business. And if my neighbor comes over and asks who did the good looking job on my trees, I'll tell him, but you can be SURE I'll tell him how long it took me to clean up after you. Same if you treat me with disrespect. Uh, that includes smoking on my property if you didn't ask first. That includes using foul language around my family.

While I'm on my soapbox, clean yourself up, folks! Show up with dirty, beat up, uncared for equipment and personnel, and I'm NOT going to be impressed. You don't have to have new everything, but it ought to be clean and neat. Wash your truck once in a while, for crying out loud!

I don't care how GOOD you are, a slob will not get my recommendation, and I honestly don't think I'm unusual in that respect.

Now back to your regularly scheduled thread. :)
Duly noted. Thank you.

Latest posts

Back