Log length firewood in CT

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeremyweber

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi all,

Im looking for log length delivery of firewood in Connecticut. Does anyone know of a good source? I've never bought log length before, are there any particulars I should be aware of? Would appreciate the input.

Thanks

J

Look in craigslist. If you have atruck it wont be hard. A few years ago my freind offerd me 30 cords in length but i didint need it. He couldnt get rid of it.

Unfortunately, my truck is more suited for the little bags of wood you pick up at the convenience store and not log length... :(

Ill keep my eyes out for you.
how many cords you need?

Well I think we will probably burn 10+ this year, but I dont know if I want to cut and split that much myself. We put in an outdoor wood furnace last December so a lot of this stuff is new to me. Depends on the cost too, dont know if I can afford all the wood at once. I'd appreciate any info you could come up with.

Thanks

Jeremy

There is a guy in Harwinton (just outside of Torrington area) that sells log length. Last year his price was $600 for 8-9 cord delivered if I remember correctly. I knew of four people who bought from him and they were all happy.

I'm not real sure how far he travels though. His name is Luke Tardiff (he has a VERY strong French Canadian accent and is hard to understand!) His number is 860-485-0693. You have a better shot of communicating if you get his wife on the phone!

Let me know how you make out if you call him.

We have a free weekly newspaper that prints classifies. You can go on the net and check their listings. Go to ReminderNews.com.
Good Luck

10+ cord thats alot of friggin wood! is that the norm for a outdoor furnace?

They burn a good amount. I burn 3 or more cords in my wood stove.
I can cut, split and stack 2 cords in a day with me and somone else. 5 days = 10 days = a lot of heat!

10+ cord thats alot of friggin wood! is that the norm for a outdoor furnace?

Not sure, but considering that 1 cord is roughly equal to 100 gallons of oil and the furnace heats our whole home ( 2800 sqf, colonial ) and hot water it seems about right. And the fact that my wife tends towards the tropical end of the thermostat...:)

There is a guy in Harwinton (just outside of Torrington area) that sells log length. Last year his price was $600 for 8-9 cord delivered if I remember correctly. I knew of four people who bought from him and they were all happy.

I'm not real sure how far he travels though. His name is Luke Tardiff (he has a VERY strong French Canadian accent and is hard to understand!) His number is 860-485-0693. You have a better shot of communicating if you get his wife on the phone!

Let me know how you make out if you call him.

Will call... I am interested in what I am getting into and any information you could provide would be great. How long are the logs generally? How many logs in a cord? Is it typically seasoned?

Will call... I am interested in what I am getting into and any information you could provide would be great. How long are the logs generally? How many logs in a cord? Is it typically seasoned?

It seems to vary. Some years the logs have been sitting, other times they are green, usually in the 8-16" diameter range. When my neighor got them they were like 30-40' long. He clears land and sells off the logs in length, he also does firewood all prepared I think. Price also varies year to year and what he has. If it is green he will tell you. Last year a friend bought a load he said was green, but after sitting two months, he used it (although i doubt it was REALLY seasoned like it should have been).

Let me know what he says when you call. Sometimes he doesn't even have wood.

It all depends on what your heating. They do burn a LOT more then a modern wood stove in the house though. I burned about 4 cord in my stove last year heating a 1100sq ft house.

my house is a bit over 1200 sqft. if i just heat with the insert than i can do it in almost 4 cord. i got a better idea of how the shenandoah works now. last year was my first year with it. im guessing this year with using a combination of both stoves im gonna be in at around 6 cord. hoping to be a little less. the shenandoah uses more wood but i like it in the dead of winter. it will get an all night burn for the weekend nights. it also heats the entire cellar aswell and the upstairs perfectly. so to me thats worth the extra wood to have a nice warm cellar and heated floors.

my house is a bit over 1200 sqft. if i just heat with the insert than i can do it in almost 4 cord. i got a better idea of how the shenandoah works now. last year was my first year with it. im guessing this year with using a combination of both stoves im gonna be in at around 6 cord. hoping to be a little less. the shenandoah uses more wood but i like it in the dead of winter. it will get an all night burn for the weekend nights. it also heats the entire cellar aswell and the upstairs perfectly. so to me thats worth the extra wood to have a nice warm cellar and heated floors.

My OWB runs about 5 to 6 cord for a house under 2k sq ft. I have a short run, and full southern exposure.

Hi Jeremy, I also live in Oxford, small world. I got a truck load of log length wood delivered about 3 years ago. Mostly red oak, 12" - 18" diameter maybe 20'-25' long. I ended up with about 8-9 cords when done. He was from Southbury, but I can't remember his name at the moment. I paid $600 for the truckload and still have about a cord left.

Article on Connecticut timber industry from today's Courant:

http://www.courant.com/business/hc-ctforests.artsep14,0,471615.story

Not sure if the market downturn hurts or helps people looking for log-length deliveries -- can't have as many culls & tree tops if you're not out cutting timber. Then again, folks who normally cut timber might be hungry enough to put more effort into selling what they do get.

I know the outdoor wood boiler folks can burn pretty much anything green or seasoned. Is that true of most outdoor furnaces, too?

Most any species in log length is going to be far from seasoned if it's just being cut and split now. I just cut up some red oak treetops left from a logging operation 3 years ago that are mostly as wet as they were when felled. And had nearly as much of that oak whiff, too.

Back