Log splitter cylinder 2500psi vs 3000psi?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't need any cut sheets (whatever those are), just need a pressure gauge on a speeco splitter. Hold it against the stop and see where the pressure stops. That will tell you whether their numbers are bunk or not. It either generates the required pressure or it doesn't.

Ian

A genuine import through and through!
Came here legally from the side of the world that uses sensible units (i.e., metric)... :)

Cheers,
Zevi

And welcome!

Agreed about the units. SAE and English units should have gone the way of the dodo bird and the triceratops!

:cheers:

Kevin @ Speeco: If oyu want to refute this call of BS, then provide us with copies of the cut-sheets for the components you use. Otherwise, your 5" bore is worth no more than 29.4 tons MAX and your 4" bore is worth no more than 18.8 tons MAX. Please... prove me wrong.

Even if you are right, they are still a whale of a lot closer to reality than almost anybody else. It's sure a lot more honest to claim 34 tons when you only get 30 most of the time, than to claim 32, and say that "most people would call this a 40!", when your own specs say it's TWENTY, like I&O does.

I bought some mauls & wedges from those folks, and they are great to deal with, but finding out how dishonest their specs are has completely changed my opinion of I&O.

Oh, yeah. FULL DISCLOSURE: Kevin sent me a Speeco hat, so I'm officially a paid shill for Speeco! :laugh:

I have a 0-6000psi gauge AND a "35 ton" Huskee Speeco....I will take measurements and report the findings...i just need a couple days to get time to rig it up.

-Mark

Even if you are right, they are still a whale of a lot closer to reality than almost anybody else. It's sure a lot more honest to claim 34 tons when you only get 30 most of the time, than to claim 32, and say that "most people would call this a 40!", when your own specs say it's TWENTY, like I&O does.

I bought some mauls & wedges from those folks, and they are great to deal with, but finding out how dishonest their specs are has completely changed my opinion of I&O.

Oh, yeah. FULL DISCLOSURE: Kevin sent me a Speeco hat, so I'm officially a paid shill for Speeco! :laugh:

Ha... you were thinking in metric tons and I didn't even know there was a metric ton. I thought "ton" was an imperial measurement.

You originally from the US or are you one of them imports? ;)

Ian

I'm one "of them imports" too!!! My wife have told me I am here legal....LOL....have an Alien GreenCard too....:clap:...Might try for Am PP soon too....:givebeer:

I have a 24" 3000psi welded cylinder on my splitter now, looking to upgrade to a 30". There are a ton of tie rod 2500psi cylinders out there, the 3000psi ones are obviously more expensive but add to that I'd prefer not to get clevis ends (will have to then rework my moving ram also) and the 3K non clevis end cylinders are double what I can get a 2500psi one for.
I currently run my splitter of a small bobat mt50 walk behind skid steer so the 2500psi would actually be fine but at some point I may make a "normal" splitter out of it and use a traditional two stage pump....so the question is 2500 or 3000psi...how much of a difference does it make?

Thanks,

I went to a 3000psi cylinder because it was made better, and would handle more side loading. I doubt I really needed the extra pressure, but the cylinder should last as long as I need it.

I'm replacing mine sometime soon and will be getting one of Dalton's TR3 cylinders... 4" cylinder, 2" rod and rated for 3250psi. I was hoping they offered a 4.5, but 4 is the largest they have in that type. The price is not too bad either.

Ian

Thanks for the Dalton link...good stuff there...a few 28" options for me which I haven't seen elsewhere. My whole point of digging into this is my 24" is driving me nutz...my Mingo marks to 24" but cut on the wrong side of the Mingo dot and it's 24.5" and doesn't fit...a couple big rounds about killed me this year already getting them up there then not fitting, I'm sick of it. There is a 30" on ebay for under 200 bucks to my door though...very tempting...

Slick, have you considered just moving your 24 an inch or two further away from your wedge (or toe plate as the case may be)? That would be much cheaper than replacing the cylinder. Only disadvantage would be not splitting that last little bit on stringy pieces.

Ian

Yeah I did think of that, your right it would be alot cheaper but I seem to keep that ram moving till the very end way to often.....I should have made my wedge alot wider to really push the round apart :( I used a northern tool wedge the welded on my own second stage but it's not wide enough to really push the split open so even on this red oak I've been splitting, I have to push it till damn near the end...

Last edited:
:welcome:

:welcome: As I have stated before, until someone can show me where ANSI or ASME recognizes safety ratings based on "intermittent pressure", it's all smoke and mirrors. The companies that manufacture the parts don't have those higher ratings, so how can combining the components yield a higher rating. The safety margin expires when the weakest link fails.

Kevin @ Speeco: If oyu want to refute this call of BS, then provide us with copies of the cut-sheets for the components you use. Otherwise, your 5" bore is worth no more than 29.4 tons MAX and your 4" bore is worth no more than 18.8 tons MAX. Please... prove me wrong.

(Otherwise, your 5" bore is worth no more than 29.4 tons MAX and your 4" bore is worth no more than 18.8 tons MAX. Please... prove me wrong.)

The numbers I have given regarding psi are correct.

(Otherwise, your 5" bore is worth no more than 29.4 tons MAX and your 4" bore is worth no more than 18.8 tons MAX. Please... prove me wrong.)

The numbers I have given regarding psi are correct.

Cool... then you won't mind sharing copies of your part manufacturer's safety cut-sheets showing them all rated for that pressure! That's awesome...

Oh wait... you haven't showed us anything. You've just SAID it's true... AND... you have a vested interest in us believing it.

Come on KGreer... all picking aside, please show us the part specs. A lot of us would love to have that pressure and power. But... we just don't listen to tonnage hype without evidence.

Prove us wrong! Please....

I have a Husky 34 ton splitter. Back when I had a 5K pressure gauge on it, the relief valve was full open at 3100 psi. I thought that was a bit high, so I backed it down to 3000 even. It still splits anything I put in it.

Of course, by the math, the 3100 makes it a 30 ton splitter....... Now I guess I have a 29!

I had all the tables for tonnage and good stuff.I just laugh when I see the splitters at HD and tractor supply rated as high as they are.Also if I tweak the valve in an attempt to get the tonnage they claim am I at fault in case of injury ? If a gauge is installed to check the pressure to calculate the tonnage and it is off can't the system be adjusted up to max to get to their claimed power ? You should beable to claim that the splitter was not adjusted properly at the factory.A 35 ton splitter should be putting out 35 ton as advertised.What does the fine print say ????????

Latest posts

Back