Log splitter engine speeds?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think 75 to 100% throttle is best for overall use of any little banger, below that they don't lube or cool themselves properly. An ideal setup would be one which held the engine at 75 and had a footpad for full speed to get through the tough stuff.
While we are discussing small engines, it would be worth mentioning to always position the engine downwind from you if possible, the spew coming out of these things will kill you faster than an angry wife!

The majority of the small engines used on splitters are designed to run at full throttle. When added strain is put on the engine rpms drop slightly to the engines maximum torque range.
Most of these engines are also splash lubricated. They don't lube as well at low rpms.

Low rpm are a killer of splash lubed engines. Don't try to lug them @ low rpm.

As an fyi, I have two welders with 10 hp flathead splash lubed Kohlers. I start them @ fast idle and let them warm up. I then Throttle up and weld. Next I idle them down for a couple minutes to let the temps even out and shut them down. One was bought new in 1976 and the other was bought used in 1978. They run great still and in truth all generators run @ full rpm. Full rpm is not beating the snot out of an engine designed to run at full rpm.

Latest posts

Back