Log splitter hydraulics

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grtrnd1

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Got a question I'm stumped on. I have a homemade splitter that my dad built in the 70s and put a 8 hp Briggs and Stratton with a Haldex 16 GPM 2 stage pump on it. I've been searching the internet to no avail and mixed answers on the right hydraulic fluid to use. I've read motor oil, ATF, ISO 32, ISO 46, ISO 68. Some say don't use ATF, some say don't use motor oil. I was at my local ag store yesterday to see what they had and the only thing they had was a 303 hydraulic oil for 25 dollars. 10 w 30 motor oil for 46 dollars. AW 32 hydraulic for 50 dollars. What I ended up buying per salesman recommendation was a AW Hydraulic ISO100 SAE 30. That is what wrote on the front. Did I get the right thing? I live in Southeast Ohio and normally split in temps of or around 30 degrees if I'm lucky. The fluid that was in it was from the coalmine that my dad used back in the 70s but it had a mine buggy pump on it and that's what they use. Want to drain that old stuff out and out new in with this new setup. Thanks.

I'd use what is cheapest and then you can go from there as far as performance or lubrication issues go later on. I just bought the Accel 303 for mine... When bringing splitters back to life there is going to be high debris and high probability of failure where you might be draining it anyway.

ISO 100 is way too thick. Too much chance of cold start issues with starting
engine, and with pump inlet cavitation.

ISO 64 is ok if you live in the hot south, or hydrostatics with heavy loads and temperatures.

ISO 46 is a better all around compromise.

32 and 22 are cold weather fluids.

Motor oil is fine, many skid steers used it, but it emulsifies water, which tends to corrode metal surfaces all through the system. AW Hydr fluid is designed to drop small amounts of water out to bottom of the tank. Also has other additives specifically for pump wear, although simple gear pump is not very fussy.

ATF is a good fluid, really good viscosity index for widely varying temperatures, but bit more money. Can be more agressive at cleaning up deposits, or a bit harder on seals if they are old. But I have used it a lot in hydrostatic systems.

I’d go with an iso 46, AW hydraulic fluid first choice, or ISO 46 multi function tractor universal fluid (hydr, clutches, gearbox, etc all one lube). if more easily available.

I have a speeco 11gpm 2stage on my homemade splitter and I know I read it somewhere reccomend ISO 46, so that’s what I used.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ATF is the OEM spec for my splitter (Wallenstien). Just changed it this summer, it had gotten water in it over the years.

Back