Log Splitter Question?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kydan

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Will to start I'm new at these forums so I hope this is the right place to ask.
The question is.I have a MTD Yardman rated at 25 ton.Which I doubt that.
Hydraulic cylinder 5''-Pump 11 gpm- 6.5hp briggs. 18 sec recycle time.
But when splitting some big rounds the engine acts as it want to die.I have a 9hp briggs and stratton Vanguard that Iike to put on it.Now will this increase my recycle speed and by what? Will it increase the tonnage to? Or is this engine to big for the 11gpm pump?

Adding a 9 hp engine to the mix will just make the engine not labor as much when you are in the tough ones. Generally most 25/26 ton rated units have a 4.5" id cylinder.

If you want it to go faster then you need to get a 16 gpm pump to go with your engine. It will speed up your fast speed by ~30%.

Your larger engine will most likely coast on a 11 gpm pump. You should be able to operate at low idle if desired to be quieter. One of the splitters I borrrowed before I built mine had a 11 hp on a 11 gpm pump. It just played with it.

Don

Adding a 9 hp engine to the mix will just make the engine not labor as much when you are in the tough ones. Generally most 25/26 ton rated units have a 4.5" id cylinder.

If you want it to go faster then you need to get a 16 gpm pump to go with your engine. It will speed up your fast speed by ~30%.

Your larger engine will most likely coast on a 11 gpm pump. You should be able to operate at low idle if desired to be quieter. One of the splitters I borrrowed before I built mine had a 11 hp on a 11 gpm pump. It just played with it.

Don

First Thank you for the reply
Will I measured the outside of the cylinder I thought it might be a 5'' but
it was more like 4 7/8 inch but maybe made in china so who knows.

First Thank you for the reply
Will I measured the outside of the cylinder I thought it might be a 5'' but
it was more like 4 7/8 inch but maybe made in china so who knows.

same diff.

write it off as a 5 inch.

if the outside fo the cylinder is 5 inch, it is probably a 4 inch ram.

like the man said, to do much you need to swap the engine and pump.

if it works teh engine in the tough stuff, that is a good thing. means everything is sized right.

Thoughts

If the cylinder has a OD of almost 5 inches, what do you suppose the wall thickness is? I am guessing atleast 1/4 inch. This would make your actual diameter 4 1/2, a believable number.

The 6.5 should have no problem pulling a 11gpm pump. Swapping to a 9 would be a nice upgrade. A 16gpm pump might be just a little too much. Maybe go for the 13.5gpm, you gain 20% on speed & the engine quits struggling. The other bonus is that the 13.5 could probably use the same 1/2 hoses that are already there. The 16gpm really needs larger hoses (don't ask how I know :buttkick: )

-Pat

I would just put on the 9hp and see how you like it. Cycle times will not change but the "bogging down" of the engine would quit.

Your 4 7/8 OD cylinder almost certainly has a 3/16 wall, making the bore 4.5".
More Hp on the same pump may allow you to set the relief pressure higher, which would give you more tons of force, but no more speed. If you're going to change the relief though, put in a pressure gauge first, and I wouldn't recommend setting it any higher than 2500 PSI. It doesn't matter if the engine is bigger than necessary.
As has already been said, to go faster, you need a bigger pump. 11GPM is kind of small for a 4.5" cylinder. You could run a 16 GPM pump with 9 HP.

[email protected]

Your 4 7/8 OD cylinder almost certainly has a 3/16 wall, making the bore 4.5".
More Hp on the same pump may allow you to set the relief pressure higher, which would give you more tons of force, but no more speed. If you're going to change the relief though, put in a pressure gauge first, and I wouldn't recommend setting it any higher than 2500 PSI. It doesn't matter if the engine is bigger than necessary.
As has already been said, to go faster, you need a bigger pump. 11GPM is kind of small for a 4.5" cylinder. You could run a 16 GPM pump with 9 HP.

[email protected]

Well I thank you all for the info,And now I know It is a 4.5''
cylinder.I'm going to switch the engine to the 9hp , maybe later
the pump.

Back