Log Splitter Suggestions for New Tree Service

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbarry06248

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi.

The logs are piling up and I have to decide whether to buy a splitter or keep renting one. Rent is $60 a day, $180 for 5 days.

I have taken a look at Super Split and although it is impressive cycle time, dont think it will handle the larger size logs very well. I am thinking that if I buy a hydraulic model with decent cycle time and a 4 way attachment, that would be somewhat equivalent to SS.

Willing to spend around $2k. Any suggestions on engine make/size? Tonnage? Company?

Thanks,

John
ms660
575xp
338xpt
ms290

Well...

have you checked to see whats available at the local dealers in your area? I'd start there, and get a list going.

I have started to look around, but because I am new to this, I'd like to get some advice on what to go with without spending alot of money. For instance is 20 ton enough or should I pay a little more for 30. Is 12 second cycle time good enough, especially with a 4 way attachment? 6hp? 9hp? etc...etc...

Just would like your opinions on the minimum specs I should go with and maybe what options are worth paying a little extra money for. What companies have been reliable and those who have not.

John
--
ms660
575xp
338xpt
ms290

12 second cycle time is about what they all get.

if possible,a 4 way will increase your split volume.

Last edited:
Anything over 20 tonage should do you fine. Make sure it can split vertical also. Splitters are basically all the same, just get one that is powerful enough that you do not have to fool around with getting pieces to bust apart.

American CLS?

The American CLS is a good one and should be available in your area. Call Larry (the owner) at 315-773-4460. I like a log splitter with a Honda GX (8 horse and up) series motor. Usually a upgrade, but worth the extra cash. Auto cycle is another good feature. A flared wedge is also a good idea, especially when splitting apart difficult wood.

Thanks for the info. I am waiting for Larry from American CLS to get back to me with a local dealer.

I assume that I have to have a "horizontal only" in order to have a 4-way. Probably wouldnt work on a vertical. I'll just use my tractor to lift the heavy stuff.

A tray table seems like a good idea, so we dont have keep bending down to pick up the split wood.

Any opinions on Iron and Oak splitters? Timberwolf seems expensive.

John
--
ms660
575xp
338xpt
ms290

Sometimes cycle time is a bit over-rated. As you most likely know, most logs split apart before the wedge has made a full storke. Woods like oak, ash, etc split apart relatively easily with only a few inches of stroke having to be used. Then it's only a few inches back.

I have an entry level timberwolf (tw-p1) and I love it. They are a bit pricey but I don't think there pricing is way out of line compared to some of the other "premium" brand splitters such as Iron and Oak. I believe some of the local dealers (at least around here) also had some rental models you could demo at the shop or rent for a day to see how you like it.

the tw-p1 is the one that i rent. seems to work fine. Dont know if a 4-way would work well on that. Do you have a 4 way on yours?

My brother and I bought the tw5 with the log lift and 4way wedge. Works great we split 50 cord last year in two weekends. Haven't had a problem yet log lift will lift most anything. It wasn't cheap but happy I went with it.

Timber wolf is mighty pricey IMO. Most of the good units are pretty much the same and 20 ton and a 2 stage pump is all you'll ever need. I'd see who gives you the best bang for your money.

The one thing I would look the hardest at at is the height of the machine horizontal. You want to be able too work with your back straight. I ended up putting mine on a pair of those cheesy ramps for changing oil too get it right. It's a pain though changing too verticle, it has to be rolled off. Bigger tires I guess? :cheers:

Sometimes cycle time is a bit over-rated. As you most likely know, most logs split apart before the wedge has made a full storke. Woods like oak, ash, etc split apart relatively easily with only a few inches of stroke having to be used. Then it's only a few inches back.

Very good point Reaperman. Same with frozen wood, knocks aparts easily.:clap:

the tw-p1 is the one that i rent. seems to work fine. Dont know if a 4-way would work well on that. Do you have a 4 way on yours?

I do have the 4-way on mine and I use it 90% of the time. It works well until the rounds get to be over 24" ind dia. it also has some trouble with the rounds that have real twisted grain or allot of knots. I usually set these pieces aside and split them at the end without the use of the 4-way.

matt

Last edited:
Rayco 2526

Ck out a Rayco 2526 LS.There on the same line as a TW-5.

Pete

That was a good point about the working height. Working upright is always best.

As far as the RAYCO 2526 LS...I went to the web site. Looks pretty good. Have any idea on cost???

Back